What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    edited September 2019
    Philly_Q said:
    @earwighoney you should definitely see You're Next!

Back on Lars Von Trier, I think I've seen a couple of episodes of The Kingdom, but I don't really remember it - and I think I get it mixed up with Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital.  I've seen roughly half his films, I wouldn't say I'm a fan but I always find them interesting.
    Kingdom Hospital is the remake of LVT's Kingdom, which really has some exceptional moments in there. 

I'll definitely watch 'You're Next'.  I presume you've seen 'Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon', another revisionist style slasher film I presume?  I liked Leslie Vernon a lot. 

Whilst on the subject of next generation horror film directors, I'm looking forward to the release 'The Lighthouse'.  I really liked the director's previous film 'The Witch'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "Ad Astra".

We were really looking forward to seeing that... what a disappointment. 
    I was surprised how they've managed to make a movie so boring... Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones... nothing could save that piece of art. We went to iSense theatre for some extra experience but it can be easily watched on 14" telly. Shame.  
    It had its moments but tried to be way smarter than it was. 

2.175/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    Whilst on the subject of next generation horror film directors, I'm looking forward to the release 'The Lighthouse'.  I really liked the director's previous film 'The Witch'
    Seeing it at the London Film Festival in a couple of weeks. :)
  • Wife took me to see Ad Astra tonight.  We both like sci-fi so were looking forward to it.  Utter pile of shit from start to end. 

• Watched Nightcrawler a few weeks back. I really loved it.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Terminator Genisys.

A lot of silliness regarding the tangled timeline but not quite as bad as reviews would have you believe.
    If you think about it, the whole premise of Terminator is flawed: you can't send guns, bombs or even clothes back through time but oddly, you can send a complex robotic piece of machinery powered by some sort of nuclear power cell if the whole thing's covered in synthetic skin.
    Lots of inconsistencies to watch out for which kind of adds to your enjoyment.
    It's just one of those films that asks you to suspend your disbelief to almost unendurable levels.
    The bloke who played John Connor turned in a good performance.
  • The Starving Games.

Ultra low budget parody of The Hunger Games.
    Kantmiss Evershot takes on President Snowflake.

Generally poor but with a couple of genius moments that really had me laughing.

4/10

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• RabsRabs Frets: 2627
    tFB Trader
    Between Two Ferns The Movie..

Spotted it on Netflix...  Its about a fake chat show host.. I think it must be a thing in the US. He does these really awkward fake interviews with lots of famous people. The film is about him trying to get his own late night show sort of Office style filming... The film itself wasn't that great but the interviews are totally hilarious. And the bloopers at the end are just as funny.

This is a couple of examples. Theres loads on youtube.

7/10 (mostly for the interviews)

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1957
    Bad Neighbours. Typical Seth Rogan; puerile, predictable and shallow grossfest for morons. I enjoyed it :-)

Wife said she thought it was rubbish, but laughed all the way through. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    Not a film but I don’t see a series thread so... we’ve just started Marianne on Netflix. Pretty good so far, proper creepy type of horror rather than all build up and jump scares.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6307
    The Foreigner. Brosnan plays Gerry Adams and Jackie Chan plays ... well, Jackie Chan doing what Jackie Chan always does, in a role that Liam Neeson must have thought was his: "I can do that - just give me some oriental makeup". Awful, by-the-numbers revenge/justice movie. 3/10
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    Mrs9000 and I saw Downtown Abbey yesterday afternoon. (I'd been thinking of watching Ad Astra but the reviews were so bad that I decided to keep Wifey company instead.) Honestly , it raises blandness and predictability to a level I wasn't previously aware even existed. I suspect it's really one for fans of the TV series. Can only give it a rather grudging 2/10. Avoid.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Me and the missus have been on a bit of a good streak recently...

Mrs Lowry & Son - fine work by Vanessa Redgrave and the impeccable Timothy Spall. They drew us in and we loved it.
    Pain & Glory - the best film we've seen so far this year. Oscar-winning performance by Banderas.
    Hustlers - unsympathetic characters and dull story. Glossy but empty.
    The Farewell - beautifully-played story and fine acting. Heart-warming stuff.
    The Souvenir - the second-best film we've seen so far this year. Honor Swinton Byrne (Tildas daughter) is in nearly every scene and convincing in all of them. 

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10392
    TTBZ said:
    Not a film but I don’t see a series thread so... we’ve just started Marianne on Netflix. Pretty good so far, proper creepy type of horror rather than all build up and jump scares.

I'm watching episode three at the minute, but I'm finding the lead character so utterly unlikeable that it's quite hard to carry on. 

Please tell me she has some redeeming features because I'm very close to giving up.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Philly_Q said:
    A Serbian Film. Bonkers sexy chucklefest 5/5 and 2 thumbs up!
    Really?
    Well okay 1 and a half thumbs and 3.75 out of five then.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6171
    Wife took me to see Ad Astra tonight.  We both like sci-fi so were looking forward to it.  Utter pile of shit from start to end. 
    Oh dear. Booked to see it next Monday. :/
  • JezWynd said:
    Wife took me to see Ad Astra tonight.  We both like sci-fi so were looking forward to it.  Utter pile of shit from start to end. 
    God help you...

I was expecting an epic and left hugely disappointed...

Somewhere between bad science, ridiculous script and wannabe - intellectual movie - all hope was lost. Even Pitt couldn't save it. 
    Come back with your review as I want someone to tell me it was only a bad dream...
  • "Threads" the BBC nuclear drama from 1984. 

Never seen it before, but I've heard a few things about it and I saw it was the anniversary of the original broadcast the other day. Tracked the full version down online and watched it in two sittings late at night.

Pretty powerful stuff even now, and really makes you think that it could well turn out like that.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    JezWynd said:
    God help you...

Somewhere between bad science, ridiculous script and wannabe - intellectual movie - all hope was lost. Even Pitt couldn't save it. 
    Come back with your review as I want someone to tell me it was only a bad dream...

It doesn't really appeal to me but I'm a bit curious to see it because people seem to hate it so much.  And I don't mind a bit of pretentiousness.

What did you think of other recent SF "hits" like Interstellar, The Martian, Arrival and Annihilation?

• Philly_Q said:
    JezWynd said:
    God help you...

It doesn't really appeal to me but I'm a bit curious to see it because people seem to hate it so much.  And I don't mind a bit of pretentiousness.

What did you think of other recent SF "hits" like Interstellar, The Martian, Arrival and Annihilation?

I went on the first day so didn't read any reviews prior to the screening - I was really hyped to watch it - paid extra for iMax etc... could not believe what I'm seeing at the time. 

I haven't seen Annihilation. 
    Interstellar - I liked. I wasn't too keen when I saw it the first time in the cinema - soundtrack was overpowering and story bit chaotic - since then I've seen it twice and liked it bit more every time. I would rate it higher than Ad Astra for sure.

Martian was a bit different and Damon on the screen makes it more difficult for me to identify with the character. Great book, ok movie - would still rate it higher than AA.

Arrival is probably the closest one here - as, bit like AA, is less of a sci-fi "space" movie but questions-asking drama in science fiction setting. I liked it, but I love Amy Adams too much ;-) 

All of the above I'd rate 5/10 and higher whereas AA barely reaches 4 imho. 

I will try to rewatch it and see if it had the Insterstellar effect for me, but I doubt it.