What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    ICBM said:
    The Motorcycle Diaries

The young Che Guevara takes a road trip around South America and learns a lot about life which will shape him in the future... quirky and offbeat, well-shot and acted but not amazingly inspiring or revealing. (Whether you think he was a hero or not.)

7/10
    I loved that movie. It puts a bit of a different light on Che's persona - kind of a romantic journey. Worth a watch but agreed that it's not very inspiring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Once upon a time in Hollywood - awful. I've avoided the reviews, so I don't know what the unexpected ending was all about, but it's just a vapid Buddy Movie. The 'Chekhov gun' was so obvious (aerial repair moment). Dog-genital-bite cliche. Nazi cliche. Incredible-violence-only-to-baddies cliche. Post-ironic exploitation of 'jailbait' cliche. Hugely daft step-up in pace in the second half (and with sudden onset of pigs-in-space-style narration, FFS!)

Best scene was the one where DiCaprio outlines the book he's reading to the young actress. That was worth 9/10, but the film as a whole, 3/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    BigBearKris said:

I loved that movie. It puts a bit of a different light on Che's persona - kind of a romantic journey. Worth a watch but agreed that it's not very inspiring.
    I did like it too, but I think I was expecting something a bit more powerful... 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited August 2019
    The new Tarantino....surprisingly shit and simplistic, with loads of wasted talent. maybe my expectations were too high.
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited August 2019
    Friend suggested I watched The Brothers Grimsby (2016), I liked it, I then showed it to my family at a recent gathering, they liked it; It's a Sacha Baron Cohen movie I had never heard of before.

Edit: I just this second found out on wikipedia that it's called Grimsby (2016) and only The Brothers Grimsby (2016) in the US.
    Christine. No, not the '80s one about the possessed car, but the recent one about Christine Chubbock, the TV reporter who shot herself live on air in the early '70s. So, not an uplifting movie, but an interesting portrayal of how someone just doesn't fit with what partners, family, colleagues, boss want. Watching the portrayal, you can't help but wonder about bipolar disorder, which AFAIK wasn't a recognised thing back then. Not sure I'd recommend it, but it feels like a 7/10 movie.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    "Angel Has fallen". 
    Gerard Butler is saving the US righteous ones from the baddies- yet again. 
    Better than the "London has fallen" in my opinion but it can be easily watched on wednesday night on tv. My lady friend enjoyed it every much though. 

5/10
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Valley Uprising, documentary about the history of climbing in Yosemite. 

It’s a great film. You don’t need an interest in climbing to enjoy it. Intriguing characters and quite funny in places. Naturally the scenery is stunning. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    CHRISB50 said:
    Valley Uprising, documentary about the history of climbing in Yosemite. 

It’s a great film. You don’t need an interest in climbing to enjoy it. Intriguing characters and quite funny in places. Naturally the scenery is stunning. 
    I've mentioned that earlier in this thread somewhere. Found it fascinating.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Performance. MIck Jagger, Anita Pallenberg, James Fox in a gangster-meets-reclusive-rockstar for druggy, free-love, gender-bending ... something or other. Nicholas Roeg's first time as director. It's a bit odd, chaotic, and very arty. Supposedly shocking in its day. Hard to care about any of the characters, though. One of those DVDs for the Oxfam donation pile... 5/10
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    The Lion King. I was interested to see this as it's completely digitally created but designed to look like a live action film. The visuals are very impressive; a lot of it does look like live action, though overall it has a digital feel to it.

The story though, which I vaguely remember liking in the original animated version, was disappointing as was the script and dialogue which are the usual Disney feelgood schmaltz, with Simba starting life as a particularly annoying American child. Another jarring factor was that the reality of the visuals was not followed through to the animal's behaviours. The female lions, for instance, were completely passive creatures who relied on scraps from the male lion for their food - totally at odds with the real world where (i believe) lionesses are the hunters and the males usually the lazy loafers. Probably a nitpicking criticism that the target audience (under tens with mum or dad in the cinema I attended) wouldn't notice but having striven so hard for reality it would have been nice to carry it through.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Pain and Glory
    Pedro Almodóvar sort of semi autobiographical
    Brilliant movie.  Excellent performances very funny at times. 9/10
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265

Us - ludicrous

Red Sparrow - liked it

Deadwood - OK, ish

• schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited August 2019
    I see Bladerunner 2049 is on Netflix.

My initial impressions of it at the cinema were bleak to say the least....I was clinically depressed at the time and the nature of the film (some of it hits close to home doesn’t it?) just destroyed me emotionally s But i’m willing to give it another shot in a more stable (ish) frame of mind. 

Anyone else come to appreciate it more on second viewing?

Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I've just watched Ghost in the shell, I think it's a cracking film. I'm not normally impressed by CGI but credit where credit is due it was very impressive.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I see Bladerunner 2049 is on Netflix.

My initial impressions of it at the cinema were bleak to say the least....I was clinically depressed at the time and the nature of the film (some of it hits close to home doesn’t it?) just destroyed me emotionally s But i’m willing to give it another shot in a more stable (ish) frame of mind. 

Anyone else come to appreciate it more on second viewing?

I don’t think you could pay me to watch it again. It sounded like a good idea and there are some nice nods to the original with the styling and soundtrack. Unfortunately it has two major problems: 

1) The running time.  

2) Ryan Gosling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:

2) Ryan Gosling. 
    He made it almost unwatchable for me, because he's so irritating he destroys the suspension of disbelief every time he moves/speaks/attempts to act.

Frustrating, because I thought the plot was good - even though I guessed the ending, for a reason that probably isn't a spoiler any more - and I didn't actually think it was too long.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:

2) Ryan Gosling. 
    He made it almost unwatchable for me, because he's so irritating he destroys the suspension of disbelief every time he moves/speaks/attempts to act.

Frustrating, because I thought the plot was good - even though I guessed the ending, for a reason that probably isn't a spoiler any more - and I didn't actually think it was too long.
    A few years back around the time of 'Drive' he was ridiculously over hyped in someway almost like he was the second coming of Marlon Brando, Robert DeNiro etc combined. 
    earwighoney said:

A few years back around the time of 'Drive' he was ridiculously over hyped in someway almost like he was the second coming of Marlon Brando, Robert DeNiro etc combined. 
    He's like the second coming of Nicolas Cage.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    ICBM said:
    earwighoney said:

He's like the second coming of Nicolas Cage.
    I lol’d.  :)

I think he must have a load of dirt on film producers or be really well connected because I can’t see anything great about him or his acting, yet he still gets the plum roles. He was truly bloody awful in Drive.