What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6157
    Paddington 2. Charmless by-the-numbers sequel, lacking any imagination. 1/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    13(Tzameti) 
    The original French version, the remake sounds rubbish.
    Wow! The tension is almost unbearable. Stripped back minimalism at its best. It's an unlikely story but it just works.
    Spoiler alert: it doesn't end well.

Green Room.
    Another fairly minimalist film with loads of suspense and it stars Captain Jean Luc Picard as a redneck racist leader.

The Caine Mutiny.
    Humphrey Bogart in an atypical role. He steals the show as a burn-out slowly descending into madness. The final courtroom scene is one of the best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6078
    goldtop said:
    Gosh, that's harsh. You do know it's primarily aimed at children? I thought it was a very acceptable second outing and Hugh Grant was very entertaining.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22924
    Sassafras said:
    13(Tzameti) 
    Wow! The tension is almost unbearable. Stripped back minimalism at its best. It's an unlikely story but it just works.

Green Room.
    Another fairly minimalist film with loads of suspense and it stars Captain Jean Luc Picard as a redneck racist leader.

The Caine Mutiny.
    Humphrey Bogart in an atypical role. He steals the show as a burn-out slowly descending into madness. The final courtroom scene is one of the best.
    That's a good very trio of films you've watched there.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Avengers: Endgame

As someone who has seen every MCU movie except Thor 2 and most of them twice, it was excellent. A genuinely super-impressive feat just to have it not be a bloated mess, but to have so many strands work together, and leave a genuine emotional impact in most people in the cinema (ranging from cheers and laughs to tears) it's really really impressive/

For anyone who doesn't care about MCU stuff, don't bother just because it's an "event" type movie - it won't make much sense unless you know the characters and all the backstory.

I loved it times 3000.
    I nearly went to see this, but I’m not familiar with the back story, so I saw Shazam instead (v.funny and entertaining!) What films do I need to watch to get me up to speed?

You can ignore the TV shows on the right. Just watch the films on the left and in the central column.

After Captain Marvel you watch Avengers Endgame

You can miss out The Incredible Hulk (Ed Norton), and Thor 2. Mainly because they don't really assist the development.

OI wouldn't skip Thor 2?  One of the film they made a DIRECT reference to for about 15mins?

I think that is very important.

I think you can skip Iron man 2 and 3.
    Capt Marvel you can skip to, just know that she is like Superman without the Kryptonite problem.
    Ed Norton Hulk you can skip.
    Antman 1

The rest of them, almost every film is either referenced in cameo characters, or relationships between characters, besides the plot. point.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6157
    JezWynd said:
    goldtop said:
    Gosh, that's harsh. You do know it's primarily aimed at children? I thought it was a very acceptable second outing and Hugh Grant was very entertaining.
    Yes, but Paddington 1 was great - whimsical for adults and slapstick for kids.

P2 was wafer-thin. HG's hamming it up was the best bit. But it really needed more writing talent. There are whole sections where it sagged (the prettifying of the jail, for example).And the bolted-on ending undermined the plot arc. (All IMHO/YMMV and I'll shut up now, because the film isn't worth the effort!)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6078
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    13(Tzameti) 

Green Room.

The Caine Mutiny.
    In stark contrast to the box set of Benidorm I've become addicted to. It's unspeakably grotesque but very funny. Plus, I've become strangely fascinated by Siobhan Finneran. I think it's her eyes that do it for me.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Suspiria (the remake). All very odd, as is the original , but it’s tense and compelling. Nice Thom Yorke soundtrack too.

I liked it. My wife didn’t. 
    boogieman said:
    Suspiria (the remake). All very odd, as is the original , but it’s tense and compelling. Nice Thom Yorke soundtrack too.

I liked it. My wife didn’t. 

I was not at all impressed by the idea of a Suspiria remake, but that wasn't going to stop me watching it.  As it turned out, I liked it a lot. 

Shame it doesn't seem to have attracted much attention (or even a UK Blu-ray release until next October!) but maybe it'll develop a cult following in years to come.

Sassafras said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    13(Tzameti) 

Green Room.

The Caine Mutiny.
    In stark contrast to the box set of Benidorm I've become addicted to. It's unspeakably grotesque but very funny. Plus, I've become strangely fascinated by Siobhan Finneran. I think it's her eyes that do it for me.

I know where you're coming from.  Sort of.

I just looked up the remake of 13, to remind myself if I'd seen it.  I haven't.  Same director, but with that cast I won't be going anywhere near it.  I bet they've filled it with totally unnecessary back-stories, explanations and dialogue.

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Saw Long Shot with Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron very funny
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    I liked the recent Suspiria remake very much. I enjoy the original, mainly in a fond WTF kind of way, but the remake seemed to me better realized in every dimension. Moominmama, on the other hand, who is a big fan of the original, was not so impressed.
    Same, surprisingly funny and some very unexpected jokes.  A There is something about Mary moment but the one where Charlize Theron said "Do me from behind and slap my butt had me almost choked in laughter.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    I haven't seen Free Solo yet, I know I'll love it but the perfect pre-cursor would be (I presume) Valley Uprising; basically a fascinating and very well structured history of the various generations of climbers who've tested themselves against the challenging peaks within Yosemite. Always going one better than the previous guy/girl, some of the characters are very interesting and their rivalries bitter. 

8 crampons outta 10, Well worth a look.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Took Mrs Marlin to see it last night.  Was surprising good, quite funny. Don’t understand the crap reviews on IMDB; it’s not Citizen Kane, but not supposed to be.  Better than I had expected 
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited May 2019
    Avengers: Endgame

I loved it times 3000.
    <ADMIN: Removed a major spoiler. Thanos has been informed, I'm sure he'll be in touch shortly>
    TheMarlin said:
    Took Mrs Marlin to see it last night.  Was surprising good, quite funny. Don’t understand the crap reviews on IMDB; it’s not Citizen Kane, but not supposed to be.  Better than I had expected 
    How good looking is Charline Theron, every angle and every emotion she looks amazing, I just can’t help but stare.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    tony99 said:
    I haven't seen Free Solo yet, I know I'll love it but the perfect pre-cursor would be (I presume) Valley Uprising; basically a fascinating and very well structured history of the various generations of climbers who've tested themselves against the challenging peaks within Yosemite. Always going one better than the previous guy/girl, some of the characters are very interesting and their rivalries bitter. 

8 crampons outta 10, Well worth a look.
    Try The Dawn Wall, too. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    The Mule

it thought it was a decent movie, Clint looks bloody ancient these days