What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Joker - A hard watch, a great film, but not an enjoyable one. Hard to explain if you haven’t seen it.  And yes, his performance is phenomenal, up there with the very best. Some gut wrenching scenes, but the one strutting his stuff down the steps to Gary Glitter is just unforgettable. 

Calling David Fincher for the sequel........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22979
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople
    I saw Taika Waititi's new film, JoJo Rabbit, a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me that I'd never seen  this.  It's rather wonderful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Zombieland 2: Double Tap

It was fine, plenty of chuckles throughout, and the cast are all very 'watchable', engaging actors. Especially Harrelson.

However, lacked the originality and wit of the first one, so it wasn't a patch on the original. Falls into that category of 'well it was OK I guess, but I'm not sure there was any point in making a sequel that adds nothing of any real interest, so what really was the point?'

6.5/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    The King of Comedy.

Never seen it before but it's been mentioned as the film that The Joker pays homage to. 
    It's certainly odd and creepy although it's a bit stylised. Jerry Lewis extremely credible as a straight actor. Diahnne Abbott is in it, although the actress who was DeNiro's wife at the time and not the Labour politician ( it's not that odd). There's a brief cameo by three of The Clash for no particular reason. 
    I'm not sure I'd  rush to watch it again but it's intelligent movie making. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I watched the 'Greatest Showman' on the insistence of my wife. I begrudgingly sat there and very quickly started to enjoy it. Great film with a La La Land vibe.
  • The Foreigner. Brosnan plays Gerry Adams and Jackie Chan plays ... well, Jackie Chan doing what Jackie Chan always does, in a role that Liam Neeson must have thought was his: "I can do that - just give me some oriental makeup". A brilliant revenge/justice movie. 11/10

Bye!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Copycat. A dated Sigourny Weaver psychological crime thriller featuring very clunky beige computers. Not bad though: 7/10. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Philly_Q said:
    I saw Taika Waititi's new film, JoJo Rabbit, a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me that I'd never seen  this.  It's rather wonderful.

It's a fantastic film isn't it. I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit. Will have to check it out.

I watched Secret Life of Pets 2 with the kids last weekend. I really enjoyed it. Preferred it to the original. Much funnier.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22979
    CHRISB50 said:
    Philly_Q said:

It's a fantastic film isn't it. I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit. Will have to check it out.

JoJo Rabbit isn't released until January, unless you have "other means" of seeing it.  I saw it at the London Film Festival.  But well worth watching if you're intrigued by a film about a kid who has Adolf Hitler as an imaginary friend.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6160
    Lady Bird. Low-key, slow-paced nothing of a movie about a teen girl trying to get away from Sacramento to an East Coast college. Acting was OK, characters were all unlikeable. 4/10
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72448
    CHRISB50 said:

I watched Secret Life of Pets 2 with the kids last weekend. I really enjoyed it. Preferred it to the original. Much funnier.
    Not difficult...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Life in 12 Bars.

Part way through I realised I'd seen it before. If you watch the documentaries on Amy Winehouse or Whitney Houston for example they are engaging wether you are a fan or not whereas this is more fans only. 
    Still not dug out that track he did with Aretha, the thirty seconds of it in this sound amazing. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    Obligatory Joker post.

I rarely go to the cinema these days (probably about three times the past decade) but all the hype made me want to catch this. Was not disappointed, I thought it was phenomenal. It's rare for me to watch a movie surpass two hours and then want it to continue. JP was amazing and the final half hour from the staircase waltz to the end scenes were mesmerising.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Knock Knock.
    I found it absolutely sickening. The first ten minutes of totally unconvincing  perfect happy American family life was nauseating beyond belief. I actually thought I might throw up. Then it lead into the establishing shots of his life as a successful architect living the American Dream which were equally unendurable. The film was only redeemed by the appearance of the 2 psychobitches who torture him, deservedly in his case I felt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    Terminator: Dark Fate

It is NOT as good as T1 or T2.  However it is heads and shoulders above the rest of the other Terminator movies.  I like how it basically ignores them completely and Dark Fate pretty much brings the best of T1 and T2 into this.  It has car chases on the freeway, it has helicopters, it has a sort of prison like scene from T2, it also starts with a bang.  It does not ease you in, it does not explain, it just throws you right in and expect you to have seen T1 and T2.  

The middle bit was slower after the brilliant start but it has a good (but not as tense as T2) ending.  It didn’t punch me in the gut as much as T2.

Still, a Terminator movie actually worthy of the name for once since T2.
  • Terminator: Dark Fate

It is NOT as good as T1 or T2.  However it is heads and shoulders above the rest of the other Terminator movies.  I like how it basically ignores them completely and Dark Fate pretty much brings the best of T1 and T2 into this.  It has car chases on the freeway, it has helicopters, it has a sort of prison like scene from T2, it also starts with a bang.  It does not ease you in, it does not explain, it just throws you right in and expect you to have seen T1 and T2.  

The middle bit was slower after the brilliant start but it has a good (but not as tense as T2) ending.  It didn’t punch me in the gut as much as T2.

Still, a Terminator movie actually worthy of the name for once since T2.
    I'm glad to read this - looking forward to watching it next week. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Downton Abbey

This film is really a two hour episode of the long running TV series.  It assumes that the viewer 'knows' the characters, the plot is simple and the camera work superb.  Sound FX use is minimal, apart from the echo in the downstairs corridors.

If you liked the TV series, a trip to the cinema is a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    Eli  on Netflix is excellent and well worth checking out, won’t say too much as it has a few twists and turns 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    Watched 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing again (the first time was on a flight). I think it's amazing. Frances McDormand  and Woody Harrelson are both brilliant in it IMHO. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    The  Dirt.

It's not exactly endlessly cheerful but interesting. I had very sketchy knowledge about Motley Crue and it's filled in some of those gaps and it's a genuine tale of rock'n'roll excess.