What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    boogieman said:
    Snap said:

Watched A Quiet Place last night - total bollocks. almost got to the switching it off point. The plot is just unbelievable. Even for a daft film it's just poor.

So many points at which you think, that's just bollocks. Like why walk round barefoot? You could at least wear socks.

the whole premise of the film revolves about having to be as quiet as possible. Well, what if you farted on the bog?

Apparently there is a sequel - won't be holding my breath

It’s utter shite isn’t it? If they can go to the waterfall so the aliens can’t hear them then why not just live next to a waterfall? 

A sequel you say? Gawd help us. 

yeah, total. Putting the baby in a box with a mask on? FFS, really?! And I think just maybe, maybe, the military might have figured the high frequency thing out before the kid with the hearing aid. The only good bit of the whole film was the way it ended - except it promises a sequel. gah!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In the last week I've been to see...

Official Secrets - a story well told and well acted. Good stuff.
    Farmageddon - totally charming and working at several levels for kids and grown-ups alike. Lovely sly (yet loving) digs at several sci-fi films/TV.
    The Last Black Man in San Francisco - the best film of the year so far, I think. Even better than Bait. Warm, engaging, never drags even though it's not fast-paced. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Snap said:

I liked Stand & Ollie too. Very good.

Watched A Quiet Place last night - total bollocks. almost got to the switching it off point. The plot is just unbelievable. Even for a daft film it's just poor.

So many points at which you think, that's just bollocks. Like why walk round barefoot? You could at least wear socks.

the whole premise of the film revolves about having to be as quiet as possible. Well, what if you farted on the bog?

Apparently there is a sequel - won't be holding my breath for that one.

Should the sequel be called " Arse wide Shut"?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24676
    The Pianist.

Never seen it before. Very obvious why Brody got the oscar though. Superbly made.

9/10 for the film
    1/10 for the director as a human being.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10347

Just watched Insidious for the first time since it came out.

I forgot how laughably bad it is. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 

• Zombieland:DoubleTap - good fun, quite funny and excellent to see the cast back together. Kind of suffers from the same issue as the first film where the ending isn't that satisfying but I'd give it 3.5/5.

The Silence on Netflix. Utter crap, not even Stanley Tucci and Miranda Otto could save it.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    cj73 said:
    Snap said:

I liked Stand & Ollie too. Very good.

Apparently there is a sequel - won't be holding my breath for that one.

Should the sequel be called " Arse wide Shut"?

Jeez, that has made me laugh a lot mate!! Nice one. Still laughing now!!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12438
    Took my 12 year old son trick or treating yesterday, his costume was annoying him so we abandoned it early, he is autistic and was then distressed that halloween was over too early.

So we flopped on the sofa and watched the nightmare before christmas, he had never seen it before and loved it being about his two favourite celebrations.

Was singing along to the songs and talking to the film.  I enjoyed watching it again too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72715
    munckee said:

the nightmare before christmas
    A genuine candidate for the best animated film ever made - I've seen it probably a dozen times and I never tire of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12446
    Scary Movie 4. Predictable, crass, childish. I quite liked it.  :)
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1320
    Dolomite - Netflix make some interesting stuff!
    Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes!

It's based on a true story and I thought it was really fun.  Dolemite is a character created by a somewhat washed up entertainer (Murphy) and is a a comedian telling filthy jokes and rhymes.  Some success leads him to want to be a film star and the movie is basically a story of the production of that first movie (I say first because you mightn't believe there were any subsequently!).

7/10

• Can You Ever Forgive Me? Wherein Melissa McCarthy plays Lee Israel, an author who made a short but lucrative career forging famous people's letters in the early 90s. It's one of those darkly comic and a bit tragic low fi movies that I really enjoy sometimes. I rate McCarthy and she's good when she's not doing lazy slapstick comedy. Richard E Grant plays her sidekick and he's brilliant as always.

I'd highly recommend it.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 350
    One of my all-time favourites is The Big Lebowski.  Does anyone know of any others in this wacky vein?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72715
    Kill Your Darlings

Daniel Radcliffe plays Allen Ginsberg when he was with Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs at Columbia University in the 1940s.

Don't laugh - Radcliffe is very good, he's been able to break away from Harry Potter convincingly and is really quite a decent actor. The film is pretty well done and seems to capture the era very well, and is quite dark and gives some idea of what may have inspired the bunch of misfit writers (other than just recreational substances...).

7/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Rocketman.

Pretty crap tbh.

I can't stand musicals, and hadn't twigged that this was a musical in the vein of Mama Mia. Bloody awful. Elton had a flipping tough life though, and I felt very sorry for him.

Enjoyed the story, his early music is of course great, and it was interesting to see how talented a musician he was/is. But it was ruined with all the fannying around singing and dancing.

5/10

I'd like to read his autobiography though.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12446
    Snap said:

Rocketman.

Pretty crap tbh.

I can't stand musicals, and hadn't twigged that this was a musical in the vein of Mama Mia. Bloody awful. Elton had a flipping tough life though, and I felt very sorry for him.

Enjoyed the story, his early music is of course great, and it was interesting to see how talented a musician he was/is. But it was ruined with all the fannying around singing and dancing.

5/10

I'd like to read his autobiography though.

My first proper job back in the 70s was working in a billing office for telegrams. My workmate showed me one from Elton John to Eric Clapton, think it was congratulations on Eric’s wedding or something similar. It was signed “love, Fat Reg from Pinner”. I never really liked Elton’s music but love his sense of humour. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10474
    JohnS37 said:
    One of my all-time favourites is The Big Lebowski.  Does anyone know of any others in this wacky vein?
    It's a Coen brothers film, check out Burn after reading, Fargo (the film) brother where art tha etc 

The small death ..... as you can probably guess by the title it's a film about sex but it's a whacky Australian film about sex, very odd in parts but highly recommended for people who don't like the normal bland Hollywood fair 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    boogieman said:
    Snap said:

It’s utter shite isn’t it? If they can go to the waterfall so the aliens can’t hear them then why not just live next to a waterfall? 

Shsh!
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1023
    PhilW1 said:
    boogieman said:
    Snap said:

Shsh!
    I really liked it. Yes the plot is very silly, but it is still an enjoyable fillum.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6119
    edited November 2019
    JohnS37 said:
    Check out O Brother Where Art Thou. It's by the Cohen's and is extremely entertaining.

Watched The Darjeeling Limited by Wes Anderson. What a great movie. Anderson's kooky style can be a bit hit and miss but when he gets it right, it's brilliant. Highly recommended.