What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9738

Farmageddon - totally charming and working at several levels for kids and grown-ups alike. Lovely sly (yet loving) digs at several sci-fi films/TV.

Saw this yesterday. Several laugh out loud moments, and hugely entertaining. Excellent!
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    JohnS37 said:
    One of my all-time favourites is The Big Lebowski.  Does anyone know of any others in this wacky vein?
    Check out O Brother Where Art Thou. It's by the Cohen's and is extremely entertaining.

Watched The Darjeeling Limited by Wes Anderson. What a great movie. Anderson's kooky style can be a bit hit and miss but when he gets it right, it's brilliant. Highly recommended.
    O Brother is a great film, great music too ( huge selling soundtrack at the time). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Can recommend The Souvenir and Booksmart. 

Don’t recommend the Joker movie at all cos it’s a big pile of doodoo. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30312
    John Wick.
    Can't see what all the fuss was about. Just another formulaic revenge flick. I'm sure Keanu Reeves is a nice chap but he should try not to deliver all his lines in such a loud, dull monotone. This is the second Reeves film I've seen this month. Why do I do it to myself?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6116
    Heel said:
    Can recommend The Souvenir and Booksmart. 

Don’t recommend the Joker movie at all cos it’s a big pile of doodoo. 
    It's certainly been hugely over-hyped for a movie that mainly revolves around Joaquin Phoenix throwing some cool shapes in clown makeup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    Watched Carmine Street Guitars.

I can't say it's the best film I've ever seen, but when you are on a 8 hour flight to Detroit and the film selection is terrible, finding a film about a guitar shop with Nels Cline and Eleanor Friedberger in it feels like a gift from God delivered straight to the seat back in front of you. I enjoyed it!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4323

The Dawn Wall.

Good film with some amazing scenery, but I found I enjoyed the book, The Push (pretty much the same story), more.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Terminator Dark Fate.

I like it. Sure - nowhere near as good as T1 and T2 but I think I liked it more than any other (pre?)sequels of the franchise. Good opening with the highway chase - bit dull in the middle. Plot and acting - mediocre but still entertaining on the big screen. No rewatch value.

5.25/10
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Sassafras said:
    Official Secrets

Good movie.  The director reined in Keira Knightleys simpering thanks goodness
    Does she simper?
    Can't say I'd noticed.
    I enjoyed it too ! Keira did well.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Sassafras said:
    Official Secrets

Good movie.  The director reined in Keira Knightleys simpering thanks goodness
    Does she simper?
    Can't say I'd noticed.
    I enjoyed it too ! Keira did well.
    Keira usually does do well.
    If anyone simpers it's Emily Mortimer. That seems to be her speciality.
    The Incredible Shrinking Man.

When I first saw this years and years ago I found it the most thought provoking sci-fi film I'd ever seen. I was fascinated by it and it stayed with me for ages. Made me rethink how we measure space, time and dimensions relative to our own puny selves.
    For a film made in 1957 the effects hold up quite well.
    It's only let down by the continuously over dramatic soundtrack. It's awful.
    Incredible film. 10/10 and then some.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9738
    edited November 2019
    The Aeronauts. Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones ascend to a record height in a balloon and we learn, via a series of flashbacks, how the trip came about. Some spectacular scenes but ultimately somehow lacking a little something in the 'does it hold your attention' department. 6/10 from me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Mandy
    Friends hated it, I thought it was pretty cool if slightly batshit mental. 
  • Sassafras said:
    The Incredible Shrinking Man.

When I first saw this years and years ago I found it the most thought provoking sci-fi film I'd ever seen. I was fascinated by it and it stayed with me for ages. Made me rethink how we measure space, time and dimensions relative to our own puny selves.
    For a film made in 1957 the effects hold up quite well.
    It's only let down by the continuously over dramatic soundtrack. It's awful.
    Incredible film. 10/10 and then some.
    Superb film. 

The ending really stayed with me as well. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341

Prevenge. 

A low budget British dark comedy, horror about a pregnant woman going on a killing spree to avenge the death of her husband, who's guided by her unborn child. 

As ridiculous as it sounds, but has a few chucklesome moments and one scene that will make every male viewer recoil in absolute horror. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Zulu Dawn on Amazon Prime. Not as good as Zulu. 

• I thoroughly enjoyed half of joker 
  • The Death of Stalin. 

Interesting, bit different, reasonably funny, lot of nastiness largely off screen ( violence and sexual abuse), dragged a bit in the middle ( although any film over 90 minutes I’d probably say that about). The ensemble performance with everyone in their own accents and the scripted banter making it seem very much like a filmed play ( not that it is that I know of). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72629
    edited November 2019
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Another one I missed at the cinema when it came out.

Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell are fantastic, completely deserving the awards they got - it’s a dark, powerful film with some deep themes about life and death, and some very black humour. If it has a fault it’s that a couple of the scenes seem a bit far-fetched even for small-town America, but they don’t spoil it. The ending is surprising, but perfect for it.

9/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27224
    edited November 2019
    Toy Story 4 - Do watch this, but don't watch it on a plane cos you'll cry at the end. Maybe not as good as the other three, but Pixar have still got it.

MIB: International - Watch this on a plane. It's not groundbreaking, but is fun enough.

Booksmart - Don't watch this on a plane as they take out most of the references to drugs and lesbians, which *seriously* misses the point. Otherwise fairly funny.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Just don't watch this. It's as terrible as the worst bits of Last Stand, Origins, and Apocalypse. Even the usually-excellent McAvoy and Fassbender are phoning it in.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires