What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Marvel Cinematic Universe (all of them on Disney+)

Having never seen any of them before we (Mrs DJ and I) thought we'd give them a go back during lockdown 1....and it's taken us to the start of lockdown 2 to get through 20 something films!

Top marks for Guardians of the Galaxy, pretty much the most fun one for us.

Lots of them blend into one big CGI fest in my memory, but enjoyable escapism. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    edited November 2020
    Watched Dr Sleep over the weekend.  I really liked the shining so was worried this would wreck it.  aside from the end it could have been an entirely unrelated story.  It was fairly good though considering the usual quality of King adaptations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Parasite. Great film quite possibly in my top 50
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Parasite. Great film quite possibly in my top 50
    I'm looking forward to this. Hope you're ok dude.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    edited November 2020
    Suicide Squad.

On Play Movies. It was on TV the other night I noticed and I remembered my son had it downloaded. The extended version no less. 
    It has some humour, it has some nice music, it has a character called Katana, it has Margot Robbie's backside but it is a bit of a mess and probably the least interesting screen incarnation of The Joker. 

Edit: just to clarify that I thought the film was a mess and not Margot Robbie’s backside. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:
    Sorcerer, directed by William Friedkin. A loose remake of Wages of Fear about a group of men transporting volatile explosives by truck. I really like Friedkin’s movies; his camera eye is always engrossing and often in motion (think the car chase in French Connection). Not sure what it is about his framing - maybe the fov, similar to a 50mm on 35mm(?). The score by Tangerine Dream and is the only thing that has dated (horribly). Well worth a watch.
    I’ll have to get a copy of that - I’ve never seen it, but the soundtrack has always been one of my favourite Tangerine Dream albums...
    Now watched.

Actually, I do slightly agree with you - but not because the soundtrack is dated, it's because it's inconsistent throughout the film. There's actually much less of it than I expected, and what there is is mixed too loud mostly - so it jumps in and jars, rather than linking the whole thing together - but once established, it works brilliantly.

That said, apart from that I think it's an amazing film - hugely underrated and far better than either its critical reputation or commercial success would indicate - and possibly not helped by the title, which seems irrelevant even though it's a reference from the film. Surreal, intense and hypnotic - I would guess it was influenced to some extent by Aguirre, Wrath Of God and in turn influenced Apocalypse Now. (As well as Wages Of Fear.)

9/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    edited November 2020
    Recent watches:

The Hunt.  Very decent Danish drama on Prime where a popular teacher gets accused of nasty things by one of his pupils....the film then concentrates on the effect it has on his life.  

Kidnapping Stella.  German drama on Netflix about...er...kidnapping a girl called Stella.    Don’t bother. 

Lion.   Prime.   Story of a little lad who gets lost in Calcutta.....and the subsequent search for his mother.   Absolutely heartbreaking but really well done. 

Rogue City.  French crime/bent cop drama on Netflix with Jean Reno.   Really enjoyed this - pretty standard fayre but a decent story. 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Watched Just Mercy last night. Real eye opener into race relations and how American law works or doesn’t work away from the big liberal cities. 

Excellent film. 
  • Parasite - Brilliant.
    Uncut Gems - Pants. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    edited November 2020
    Red Sparrow. Or rather two thirds of Red Sparrow, as we gave up on this so called thriller because it actually has no thrills. To make things worse Jennifer Lawrence is terrible in this, so totally dull and lifeless she makes Keanu Reeves look like Tigger. She’s supposed to be irresistibly sexually attractive, but she just looks bored and grumpy most of the time. 

Don’t bother. 

munckee said:
    Watched Dr Sleep over the weekend.  I really liked the shining so was worried this would wreck it.  aside from the end it could have been an entirely unrelated story.  It was fairly good though considering the usual quality of King adaptations.
    Worth reading the book too, it’s one of King’s best efforts from recent times. 
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 577
    Green Book, great movie.
    Valerian, why did I event start I don’t know, to finish it took a lot of mental strength. In short, trash.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    Eddie The Eagle

Following a few mentions here, I thought I'd give this a go. If you're expecting an accurate bio-pic of Britain's most famously unsuccessful ski-jumper, this isn't it... it probably bears about as much relation to the truth as Edwards came to winning an Olympic medal, but that's not really the point :).

Every loser-wins-in-the-end film cliché is ramped up to the absolute max, the characters are all wildly over the top - Tim McInnerny's sneering Olympic Committee chief in particular is fantastically hateable - but it all somehow works. Taron Egerton isn't bad, but Hugh Jackman as the - sadly, completely fictitious - washed-up could-have-been former champion steals the show. Overall it's just a decent feel-good film which has more to say about making the most of what you are than winning prizes... like the man himself.

5/10 for actual results
    8/10 for inspiration

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    El Camino (now that we've swapped from Prime to Netflix): meh. We love Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, so thought this'd be great. The what-happened-next story's all over the place, and the film quits just when things might get interesting. Great acting by the baddie (whose name escapes me). 4/10
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2537
    boogieman said:
    Red Sparrow. Or rather two thirds of Red Sparrow, as we gave up on this so called thriller because it actually has no thrills. To make things worse Jennifer Lawrence is terrible in this, so totally dull and lifeless she makes Keanu Reeves look like Tigger. She’s supposed to be irresistibly sexually attractive, but she just looks bored and grumpy most of the time. 

Don’t bother. 
    I sat through it last night and found myself just browsing the Internet on my phone more than anything. The fact she seemed to get naked at every opportunity didn’t even hold my interest to be honest. 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    zepp76 said:
    boogieman said:

Don’t bother. 
    I sat through it last night and found myself just browsing the Internet on my phone more than anything. The fact she seemed to get naked at every opportunity didn’t even hold my interest to be honest. 
    Suddenly I am interested....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Greenland.
    A film so bad I didn't care what happened to Morena Baccarin. (and thats a rarity.)
    A disaster movie just going through the motions that you've seen so many times before. No tension, nothing just the odd good looking explosion or rain of debris.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    The New Mutants.
    Saw this a week ago and was pleasantly surprised. I don't know why I liked it but simply did. Nothing really different to all the other mutant fillums out there but I sort of liked the characters.
    Also my first time seeing Anya Taylor-Joy. She'll go far.
    ennspek said:
    zepp76 said:
    boogieman said:

Don’t bother. 
    Suddenly I am interested....
    Meh, I wouldn’t get too excited, you don’t actually get to see an awful lot. She’s also got a quite athletic/skinny/boyish figure which doesn’t really appeal to me. 
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    After Midnight.

Seriously one of the best final 10 mins I've seen in a horror Movie.