What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Offset said:
    boogieman said:
    Zoolooter said:
    I watched Under the Volcano with great nostalgia and melancholy.  Really excellent documentary about George Martin’s Air Studios in Monserrat. Covers Dire Straits, Stones, Police, Elton, Duran, etc. It’s packed with interviews from the artists and locals that worked there. Ultimately very sad the way it ended up with a hurricane wiping it out, as it’s still siting there derelict to this day. A timely example of how things just change and move on with digital taking over from the custom (1 of 3) massive Neve consoles. I think Bryan Adams bought the one from Monserrat.
    I was going to say John Otway made an album (Montserrat oddly enough) there not long back so I didn’t think it was derelict. You’re right though, Wiki says Otway actually recorded it in Olveston House, George Martin’s old place. 

Slightly off-topic (apols) but seen Otway more times than I'd care to remember, and thoroughly enjoyed each performance.  Also met him a fair few times (haven't we all?!) and whilst being as mad as a box of frogs, he's a really great guy and as close to being a national treasure as you could get.  A close friend's young daughter pinged him on social media and asked him if he'd record a video message for her Dad, who was about to celebrate a major birthday and was and is a massive fan.  John did so with massive aplomb and real genuine warmth.  Top fella.
    @Offset ;Yeah he’s a decent bloke and you’re right, he’s a complete nutcase but actually quite a gentle soul. I’ve seen him quite a few times too. I’m a mate of Steve Barker who made Otway The Movie, which is rather good. Well worth watching if you haven’t already seen it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14030
    boogieman said:
    Offset said:
    boogieman said:
    Zoolooter said:
    I watched Under the Volcano with great nostalgia and melancholy.  Really excellent documentary about George Martin’s Air Studios in Monserrat. Covers Dire Straits, Stones, Police, Elton, Duran, etc. It’s packed with interviews from the artists and locals that worked there. Ultimately very sad the way it ended up with a hurricane wiping it out, as it’s still siting there derelict to this day. A timely example of how things just change and move on with digital taking over from the custom (1 of 3) massive Neve consoles. I think Bryan Adams bought the one from Monserrat.
    I was going to say John Otway made an album (Montserrat oddly enough) there not long back so I didn’t think it was derelict. You’re right though, Wiki says Otway actually recorded it in Olveston House, George Martin’s old place. 

Slightly off-topic (apols) but seen Otway more times than I'd care to remember, and thoroughly enjoyed each performance.  Also met him a fair few times (haven't we all?!) and whilst being as mad as a box of frogs, he's a really great guy and as close to being a national treasure as you could get.  A close friend's young daughter pinged him on social media and asked him if he'd record a video message for her Dad, who was about to celebrate a major birthday and was and is a massive fan.  John did so with massive aplomb and real genuine warmth.  Top fella.
    @Offset ;Yeah he’s a decent bloke and you’re right, he’s a complete nutcase but actually quite a gentle soul. I’ve seen him quite a few times too. I’m a mate of Steve Barker who made Otway The Movie, which is rather good. Well worth watching if you haven’t already seen it.  
    Cheers!  Just bought it on Amazon Prime.  Mrs Offset will be interested as she was a contemporary of his at school.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    Zoolooter said:
    Greatape said:
    Zoolooter said:
    What service is it on? Would like to watch it
    I’d get a torrent of abuse if I told you  ;)
    Found it on one of the legit channels. 

Watched and enjoyed. Thanks for the heads up.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1662
    A Farewell to Arms - 1932

A rather charming version of the Hemingway classic.

Starring Gary Cooper (the first time I have ever actually seen a film of his) and Helen Hayes (yes the little old lady from seventies disaster movies).

This is a curious film, almost ahead of its time with its understated manner and cool dialogue. Set in the First World War, it is a simple love story drenched in tragedy. Surprised by Gary Cooper’s laid back acting style, and Helen Hayes’ alluring and sultry demeanour.

Oddly hammy, but a really interesting film that I would watch again.

7/10
  • LogieLogie Frets: 449
    Jolt. 5 out of 10 and it only got that for Kate Beckinsale's arse. 
    Intersect, 2020.  HP Lovecraft meets HG Wells meets Stranger Things.  I won't give away too much of the plot but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm going to re-watch it because you need to be on your toes to pick up on some of the clues.  Essentially a time travelling jaunt with some very weird shit thrown in.  The young characters were well-drawn and likeable, it was well acted and I found the plot reasonably intriguing.  A solid 7/10 - my sort of thing.  On Prime.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    Greyhound - Typical Tom Hanks everyman having to make tough decisions film. Nice pace and set piece scenes pretty satisfying. Nice to see my hometown get a mention at the end. 7.5/10
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Black Widow

First film I've watch at the cinema since Bill and Ted last year. 

I’m not a huge fan of the Marvel franchise and I don’t know where this one fits into the timeline of all the others and who some of the characters were meant to be. I don’t really do fantasy superhero stuff as a rule but it seemed like a decent treat for the kids. 

For all that it wasn’t actually too bad but it felt definitely made to a formula, like a bunch of Disney execs had a checkbox list. 

Action, check, humour, check, chases, check, hot babes in jumpsuits, check, plot, not so much….

It was decently entertaining, Florence Pugh and David Harbour turned on the laughs in places and Scarlett Johansson ran doing most of the action stuff. 

Ray Winstone was quite unconvincing as the baddie and there was too much dialogue to explain the “plot” between him and Johansson towards the end. The end action sequence was pretty well overdone and went on too long as well. 

The highlight for me was still Scarlett Johansson and Florence Pugh looking quite tidy. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    2/3rds of the way through the Fear Street Trilogy mentioned above. Enjoying them, pretty standard teen slash fest, but as said above, done with a novel twist. It kinda feels very Stranger Things, if that makes sense, so if you enjoyed that you'll probably enjoy the films. Will watch the last one tonight, but so far it's a big ol' thumbs up.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 992
    edited July 2021
    Annihilation - 3/10
    Doesn't really know what it wants to be - a cerebral 2001 Space Odyssey type thing or a sci-fi horror Alien type movie. Misses both and just ends up making no sense - you can drive a double decker through some of the illogical plot holes.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Introduced my eldest lad (12) to Jaws last night. 

Proper fun watching it together and knowing where the jumps are. Such a great film, I could happily watch it again today. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    The Contract

A very mediocre 2006 thriller with John Cusack and Morgan Freeman in the lead roles.

Freeman is an AWOL CIA type who's gone mercenary taking hit contracts from the highest bidder.  Cusack is a single father out in the country trying to reconnect with his teenage son after the death of his wife.

After Freeman is involved in a car accident and his prints are run the FBI find out who he really is and place him under arrest.  During transfer, via the country of course, Freeman's team try to spring him loose which sends the car he's in down a ravine, into a river only for him to be rescued by Cusack.  

The dying cop with Freeman gives Cusack the lowdown and, of course, Cusack being the retired cop himself takes on the responsibility of getting Freeman back into custody all the while Freeman's team of mercenaries are hunting them down.

There's a really lame plot twist about Freeman's team wanting to off the president but the real target not being the president at all, yawn.

Really unimaginative stuff and it's hard to figure out why two incredible actors got themselves involved in a made-for-TV type thriller.  I don't think it was meant to be made to TV but it definitely has that feel about it.

4/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Offset said:
    Intersect, 2020.  HP Lovecraft meets HG Wells meets Stranger Things.  I won't give away too much of the plot but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm going to re-watch it because you need to be on your toes to pick up on some of the clues.  Essentially a time travelling jaunt with some very weird shit thrown in.  The young characters were well-drawn and likeable, it was well acted and I found the plot reasonably intriguing.  A solid 7/10 - my sort of thing.  On Prime.
    Watched it last night. Started off ok but thought it really dragged in the middle where the kids were younger. I got quite fascinated by the young Ryan’s bum fluff moustache appearing and disappearing in consecutive scenes… not sure if that was time travel or just terrible continuity.  :)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    A Man Called Ove.   10/10
    Amazon Prime.
    A Swedish film about a dour widower who obsesses about enforcing local block associations rules. What sounds like a boring premise for a film is completely turned on its head by an incredible performance by Rolf Lassgord as Ove. Funny, poignant, life affirming and devastating. An extraordinary film that will leave a lasting impression.

Jolt.   6/10
    Amazon Prime.
    Silly but initially entertaining film about a woman who uses an extreme form of electic shock therapy to help control her..um.. anger issues. 
    It starts of well with some very witty dialog and action scenes but loses itself along the way to a daft ending.
    Of course Kate Beckinsale is gorgeous, so that helps and hearing her swear like a trooper in that beautiful Britsh accent of hers is entertaining.
    Worth a punt if there's nothing else to do.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Blinded By The Light

Fairly lighthearted drama about a Pakistani boy living in Luton in 1987 who becomes obsessed with Bruce Springsteen - based on a true story. If you're a Springsteen fan there's a slight danger of it crossing the line into cringeworthy, but it just about manages to avoid it - likewise with his former childhood friend who's grown up into a rock musician and looks like a total cliché of late-80s pop/rock. (Did any of us *really* look like that back then?)

There are a few darker moments involving the National Front - thankfully also seeming like something of a historical aberration now, but real enough at the time - and Pakistani family life, but overall pretty safe watching. The biggest thing I got from it was a renewed appreciation of just how completely misunderstood Springsteen often is as a songwriter, by people who don't really listen to what he's saying and think he's some sort of gung-ho all-American cheerleader. Not least Ronald Reagan :).

7/10

(Netflix)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

boogieman said:
    Offset said:
    Watched it last night. Started off ok but thought it really dragged in the middle where the kids were younger. I got quite fascinated by the young Ryan’s bum fluff moustache appearing and disappearing in consecutive scenes… not sure if that was time travel or just terrible continuity.  :)
    It was a low-budget B-movie so I'd go with the latter!

...but I'm a sucker for low-budget B-movies :-)
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    The Accountant - Netflix,  Ben Afflick action movie . Interest concept (if a little bit daft) but enjoyable none the less  7/10.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    A Quiet Place Part 2 - 6/10. Mostly enjoyable, but some HUGE leaps of logic are required. Also a shame you now fully see the monsters - meaning it's nowhere near as creepy.

The Forever Purge - 5/10. Very political, but raises an interesting concept. but again, huge leaps of logic required (such as - how on earth did they manage to plan the event covertly whit millions of people taking part, and the authorities had no idea?).
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1662
    edited August 2021
    Haych said:
    The Contract

A very mediocre 2006 thriller with John Cusack and Morgan Freeman in the lead roles.

Freeman is an AWOL CIA type who's gone mercenary taking hit contracts from the highest bidder.  Cusack is a single father out in the country trying to reconnect with his teenage son after the death of his wife.

After Freeman is involved in a car accident and his prints are run the FBI find out who he really is and place him under arrest.  During transfer, via the country of course, Freeman's team try to spring him loose which sends the car he's in down a ravine, into a river only for him to be rescued by Cusack.  

The dying cop with Freeman gives Cusack the lowdown and, of course, Cusack being the retired cop himself takes on the responsibility of getting Freeman back into custody all the while Freeman's team of mercenaries are hunting them down.

There's a really lame plot twist about Freeman's team wanting to off the president but the real target not being the president at all, yawn.

Really unimaginative stuff and it's hard to figure out why two incredible actors got themselves involved in a made-for-TV type thriller.  I don't think it was meant to be made to TV but it definitely has that feel about it.

4/10
    Thanks @Haych - we also watched this on the weekend - your review is spot on. As a fan of Morgan Freeman and John Cusack's (earlier) films, this was quite a disappointment.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Making the most of my Cineworld Unlimited card again now

Escape room: Tournament Of Champions.    I haven't seen the first one, it didn't matter because we got a "previously on" style intro, which is very odd in a film. It was very silly. The best thing about it was the aircon in the cinema as we were at peak heatwave.

Old.   I really enjoyed this.  there were some great performances in it, but the ending was far to well explained.  With a more ambiguous ending this film would have stayed with me a lot longer, but having everything tied up makes it quite forgettable.

The Forever Purge.  Again, not seen any of the previous ones. The film starts with an escape from one country, those characters then spend a lot of the rest of the film trying to get back.   Whilst it explains why they had to leave, it doesn't explain why its now okay for them to go back to the place they risked their lives to get away from.   Also, it lacks a proper baddy.  I'm told the others have an obvious big bad throughout.  This one has a second rate bad guy thrown in for the last 3rd of the film.