What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2676
    Into the Wild. Great film. I'd forgotten how emotionally stirring it was.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    Guns Akimbo -  Prime  8/10

Yes its as stupid as its sounds but stick with it past the first 10 minutes and its quite an enjoyable romp. Daniel Radcliffe does a reasonable job of holding a very very thin plot together.

Once upon a time in Hollywood - Netflix.  9/10

Probably 30 mins longer than it needed to be but enjoyable none the less. Probably need to be a Tarantino fan to get the most out of it. Particularly enjoyed the Bruce Lee fight scene and the last 15 minutes are a return to form for fans of Tarantino violence.

Yesterday - Netflix  4/10  (could have been an 8)

Could have been great. Completely ruined by the presence of Ed Sheeran. Whenever he appeared on screen it just took me out of the movie and I felt like I was watching some half arsed Comic relief sketch. Real shame as the rest of the performances were great.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited July 2021 tFB Trader
    We watched The Fundamentals of Caring the other night.

I wasn't sure at the start but it turned out to be a decent road trip film, gentle and humorous.

Jennifer Ehle's accent was weird though not sure what it was supposed to be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 464
    Finished watching The Tomorrow War. It was enjoyable enough for what it was, which was big 'splosions strung together by a "plot" that made little sense. The realisation they made at the end on how to stop the Bad Thing happening was weak though - surely someone else would have thought of doing that, and been able to work it out?

No spoiler tags on here so I'm not going to say any more - I wouldn't want to spoil the twist, after all... but the internal logic is all a bit messed up. Still, Chris Pratt and Yvonne Strahovski are always entertaining, and it all looked very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    The King of Staten Island, really enjoyed it, quirky and funny 9/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25107
    bobblehat said:

Could have been great. Completely ruined by the presence of Ed Sheeran. Whenever he appeared on screen it just took me out of the movie and I felt like I was watching some half arsed Comic relief sketch. Real shame as the rest of the performances were great.

Sounds like John Legend's appearance in La La Land.
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    edited July 2021
    The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Total guff. Just a series of over the top action pieces that go on forever - the film is 2 hours long and could easily be down to 90 minutes or less if you just halved each chase/fight. Ryan Reynolds phones it in, Sam Jackson says motherfucker, Salma Hayek seems to think she's doing a skit on a parody show and Gary Oldman just looks embarrassed. The plot/dialogue that was written to link the action sequences was left to a 14 year old on work experience.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Yeah really affected me, I still think about it now. Superbly done film 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • westwest Frets: 1021
    Danny1969 said:
    Yeah really affected me, I still think about it now. Superbly done film 
       There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
       There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
       There is society where none intrudes,
       By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
       I love not Man the less, but Nature more ....
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    "Promising Young Woman".

I thought it was really well scripted but I was convinced by the direction nor the lead role. She was far too clean, ie not quite fucked up enough and I wanted to see more pain in her. Overall, despite it's necessary and disturbing topic, the film itself was using Hollywood as a bench mark, way too smooth, way too slick, way too "fairy tale". Not dark or edgy enough.

It's a kind of revenge flick about a woman whose best friend gets paralytically drunk at a party and raped. Best friend then drops out of medical school and commits suicide. Young woman decides to take revenge on rape culture and everyone who is implicit in rape culture and of course those that committed this act. 

Subject matter and intention of film = 10
    Direction = 6.5
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 464
    Tom Clancy's Without Remorse. It's fine. Personally I wasn't convinced by Robert B Jordan as John Kelly, although there was nothing wrong with his performance he just didn't sell the character as I remember him from the books. It's a blatant setup for a sequel (Rainbow 6, which I think could actually be decent), but doesn't appear to have any particular connection to the Jack Ryan TV series (although there's no common characters to either so I guess there's nothing stopping some crossover.

Jamie Bell is good as the CIA dude, and generally speaking the cast does a good job (admittedly nobody is really being pushed too hard). The one person I had the biggest issue with was Jodie Turner-Smith - she wasn't bad, but I just didn't buy her as a Navy SEAL commander.

Overall it's an entertaining action film with espionage pretensions, but nothing particularly special.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Into the Wild

It's been on my watchlist for a while but after reading the reviews here about it I decided to make a point of watching it last night.

Very good and very well done.

I enjoyed it and, like many others, found it thought provoking.

The soundtrack is very good too and adds perfectly to the mood of the film.

Highly recommended.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Philly_Q said:
    Fear Street Part 1: 1994
    Fear Street Part 2: 1978
    Fear Street Part 3: 1666

For over three centuries the small town of Shadyside has been the scene of many terrible murders, due - so legend has it - to the curse of a girl called Sarah Fier who was hanged for witchcraft in 1666.  In 1994, following the latest series of killings, a group of friends try to save their own lives and end the curse forever.

This new trilogy, based on a series of books by the author of Goosebumps, has been released on Netflix over the last couple of weeks.  A lot of it is familiar horror-movie stuff - part 1 has a Scream/Urban Legend kind of feel, part 2 is a sort of Friday the 13th pastiche, part 3 has Americans in period costume doing weird Irish accents - but it works thanks to strong characters, and by going places you don't quite expect.  I liked it a lot.
    Just watched the first instalment. Didn’t seem like much that separated it from other horrors but I enjoyed it and am looking forward to watching the second. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    'Killer' on Netflix. Fairly grim Brazilian western. 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2057
    Midway on Sky Premiere. 

What a great, steaming pile of turd. Classic cinematographical Americanisation of history.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• OffsetOffset Frets: 14032
    McToot said:
    Midway on Sky Premiere. 

What a great, steaming pile of turd. Classic cinematographical Americanisation of history.
    It's an absolute howler.  Every Hollywood cliche in the book.  Like Pearl Harbor, but much much worse.  I'd rather drive hot needles through my knees than watch it again.
  • bobblehat said:
    Guns Akimbo -  Prime  8/10

Yes its as stupid as its sounds but stick with it past the first 10 minutes and its quite an enjoyable romp. Daniel Radcliffe does a reasonable job of holding a very very thin plot together.

Once upon a time in Hollywood - Netflix.  9/10

Probably 30 mins longer than it needed to be but enjoyable none the less. Probably need to be a Tarantino fan to get the most out of it. Particularly enjoyed the Bruce Lee fight scene and the last 15 minutes are a return to form for fans of Tarantino violence.

I'm positive Sheeran's label were financial backers. Had to have been.

I'm off to see Old tonight, only £5 a ticket so we'll see.
  • Oh, and I watched The Imitation Game the other night. Fantastic film that made me feel sad and angry by the end.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1360
    edited July 2021
    Watched District 9 again last night... still as a great as I remembered.

I went to the cinema to watch it when it came out and I looked at my mate 5 minutes into it and mouthed 'this is rubbish'.. about 90 minutes later we'd defo changed our tune..

An amazing Sci-Fi rollercoaster, brilliantly put together that entertains mercilessly whilst challenging us to be better people..

It's a 10 from me Len..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    The 2016 remake of Magnificent 7. It was OK, Denzel Washington was solid as the lead (I think he's a great actor, love him in most of what he does) and Vincent D'orfino (or however it's spelt) was absolutely fantastic, otherwise most of the characters were pretty forgetable. Plot wise, it was different enough from the original that it could stand on its own and it was fantastically filmed, but overall disappointing. I was left with a feeling that I never really knew any of the characters, unlike the original.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.