What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited July 2021
    The tomorrow war… bunch of arse and full of holes in the plot… but…

was watching England/Denmark… get to extra time and said to the mrs “let’s watch the rest in bed”…

so we go up, watch about 20mins of extra time and I doze off…

she put the film on after the football…

if you’ve seen the film, there’s a scene where the future soldiers arrive slap bang in the middle of the World Cup final 2022…

that right, I woke from my doze to see the football still on the tele which was suddenly Interrupted by a flash and a load of tooled up soldiers storming the pitch!….

needless to say I shat and the mrs is still laughing about it!!!!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Philly_Q said:
    The Dead Don't Die 

Netflix

' The movie just ends, as if Jarmusch ran out of money or a reason to go on. '
    [ quote from the Rolling Stone review] 

Sort of an American Shaun of the Dead on mogadon. References to many other films that might pass you by unless you are a film buff ( even references to Dixon of Dock Green and Frank Zappa's 200 Motels) and a star studded cast ( Bill Murray, Tilda Swinson, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop) are the reasons to watch as it's not fun, not scary and basically just a bit odd. 
    I didn't know what to make of it.  I like Jarmusch - I never really go out of my way to watch his films, but all the ones I've seen I've enjoyed.  And I love zombie movies, so the idea of a Jim Jarmusch zombie movie was a surprise, but an interesting one.

And then we get to the film... I really liked the cast, and enjoyed most of the performances (especially Tilda Swinton's).  And the zombie-movie aspects are fun, at least to begin with.  But then it's like he doesn't know where to take it, or just loses interest... at which point most directors would decide (or be told) to re-write the script, or abandon it altogether.  But because he's Jim Jarmusch, he just sort of winds it up and says, ah, that'll do.

I found the bits where Murray and Driver drop out of character really irritating - that can work in some films but it doesn't here.  And the Dawn of the Dead stuff, about the zombies clinging on to the consumerist ideals they had in life, is just lazy and clumsy.
    So many ideas that might have gone somewhere but never did. The out of character thing was funny at first ( ' why is this song so familiar?' 'its the theme tune') but went nowhere. Tilda Swinton's character seemed to belong to another film entirely. Selena Gomez seemed like she might have a bigger part but that never appeared. 
    If you look down the Trivia on IMDB there was a reference to another film or something musical happening every five minutes but I'm not sure that films should only work if you need notes to follow. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:
    The tomorrow war… bunch of arse and full of holes in the plot… 
    I was really looking forward to this but it's just a big fail. So much so about 40 mins left I skipped to the last 5 mins to watch the predictable ending and left it at that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    poopot said:
    The tomorrow war… bunch of arse and full of holes in the plot… 
    I was really looking forward to this but it's just a big fail. So much so about 40 mins left I skipped to the last 5 mins to watch the predictable ending and left it at that.
    Despite all the negative reviews on here, I watched the Pitch Meeting video on YouTube and I feel like I have to watch the film just to see if it's as idiotic as it sounds. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    The Vanishing. Film 4 last night, so probably still around for a while. Gerard Butler and a couple of others are lighthouse keepers doing a six week stint on a remote Scottish island. There’s a storm one night and a stranger turns up. No spoilers but cue lots of tension, moody sea shots, angst, violence and general weirdness. Well acted and kind of intiguing at times but ultimately it runs out of steam and isn’t very satisfying. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504

Hereditary

Netflix

Loved it - seriously spooky supernatural shit. Wonderful moments of suspense and fear. 

Terrific performances all round but the females were just outstanding. Toni Collette is a gem. 

The soundtrack is is the standout. On my system certainly it was one of the best of class.

9/10 if you like creepy stuff  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    The Vanishing. Film 4 last night, so probably still around for a while. Gerard Butler and a couple of others are lighthouse keepers doing a six week stint on a remote Scottish island. There’s a storm one night and a stranger turns up. No spoilers but cue lots of tension, moody sea shots, angst, violence and general weirdness. Well acted and kind of intiguing at times but ultimately it runs out of steam and isn’t very satisfying. 
    It's surprisingly good for a Gerard Butler film, though, isn't it?

See The Lighthouse for a much weirder exploration of a similar theme.
    The Tomorrow War

So I watched it.  It's like a bigger budget SyFy channel movie, completely idiotic with a plot full of holes and endless cliches, and bits nicked from various Terminator and Alien movies.  But I must be in an undemanding mood... it was alright.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    It's surprisingly good for a Gerard Butler film, though, isn't it?

See The Lighthouse for a much weirder exploration of a similar theme.
    Ha! I know what you mean. =)  GB does tend to play every role in a stereotypical way. It’s like he’s trying to be a Spartan hero, all the time. He was actually pretty decent in Den of Thieves but then the script and Pablo Schrieber did most of the heavy lifting for him. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    Once Upon a Time in Holywood, a reimagining of the Charles Manson story, told from the perspective of Polanski's next door neighbour. Great cast, really great soundtrack and some fantastic performances, including the little "cameos". I loved the ending, 9/10, thoroughly recommended. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 14033
    Philly_Q said:
    The Tomorrow War

So I watched it.  It's like a bigger budget SyFy channel movie, completely idiotic with a plot full of holes and endless cliches, and bits nicked from various Terminator and Alien movies.  But I must be in an undemanding mood... it was alright.
    Philly... it was all shite.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    Black Widow

Actually pretty dire. Is it action? Is it comedy? Is it drama? This was probably the most ridiculous Marvel film yet, especially with some of the set pieces at the end.

Scar Jo is of course great (and looks amazing), but I'd say it's a 4/10.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    The Empty Man - Disney+

It's not bad, but not exceptional.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    In The Heart of the Sea -  the tale behind the story of Moby Dick. With the exception of the lead (I wasn't convinced by Hemsworth in the role) it was a stellar cast, fantastically filmed and directed and the story was well told, with just the right balance between action and character. 10/10 for me, really excellent. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    The Tomorrow War

Philly... it was all shite.
    I can't argue... it doesn't qualify for the "so bad it's good" category, but at least it's cheerfully bad rather than pretentiously bad.  I never shouted at the sheer stupidity (although I probably came close) and I was never actually bored.  That's a win when you go in with low expectations.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Donnie Darko

It was a couple of quid on iTunes; I remember watching it many years ago and not really "getting" it but being fascinated and intrigued by the film's concepts.

This time round I think it's fair to say it made a lot more sense but also that there's a lot in it and I'll need to digest it a little before all the subtle nuances come to the surface.

I like the film because it's very different and asks questions which I cannot answer, and which I don't think anyone can, but it does it very well and is quite artfully done.

Jake Gyllenhaal is perfectly cast as the disturbed Donnie Darko, I honestly couldn't imagine anyone else in the role.  Everyone else seems perfectly comfortable and adept in their own respective roles, too.

It's one I'll definitely watch again.  I'll be wide awake tonight thinking about the possibilities beyond the realms of the physical universe and what lies outside of what we know and how frustrating it is that I'll never ever know what's there, why or how.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    Casablanca again with the wife

Loved it, grinned all the way through and pretty much finished every sentence in it .

Definitely in my top 3 , so many fantastic supporting characters , great lines and a story that doesn’t need any clumsy dialogue to explain what’s going on to those that can’t follow it
    How many times/often do you reckon you could watch it ?!

Just…sheer class.

It has probably been over six months, but think I am overdue another dose. Might follow it with Woody Allen’s ‘Play it Again Sam’.
    Thanks for the Woody Allen recommendation - I’ve seen 2 or 3 of his before and not enjoyed them but this one was great - final scene especially fantastic 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1662
    One Chance 

Can’t remember the director or year, but it is the story of Paul Potts, the opera singer who won the first Britain’s Got Talent in 2007.

Stars James Corden with Colm Meaney and Julie Walters.

It is a feel good film, which I spent most of saying to Mrs 001; ‘well they made that bit up’. Then afterwards I stood corrected as it was all true - you honestly couldn’t make it up.

Not a masterpiece, but definitely a good Sunday Afternooner.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited July 2021
    Midsommar

Second time watching this after first viewing a year ago, and I absolutely love it. I’m a sucker for freaky horror movies with beautiful aesthetics. The story is pretty simple and the few gory moments are absolutely brutal, but all done at such a timid pace. On copious amounts of acid. Yeah though, just loved the cinematography in this and the way everything was set out.
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 464
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

A cast that is chock full of talent (Judy Dench, Bill Nighy, Penelope Wilton, Maggie Smith, Celia Imrie and more), a feel good story and a happy ending. Certainly not my usual fair, but well worth watching on a Sunday evening.