What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Chuffola said:
    VimFuego said:
    Moon. An interesting addition to the whole 'what is a human?' genre, but I felt it left too much out. Still, very watchable and I really liked the special effects, apparently they were bargain basement, but worked really well for me.
    I love Moon. Sam Rockwell always watchable and Spacey great as the android’s voice.  Directed by David Bowie’s son, Duncan Jones. 
    Is that who he is? I watched Mute (another of Jones' movies) a couple of days ago. (It was pants.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    goldtop said:
    Chuffola said:
    VimFuego said:
    Moon. An interesting addition to the whole 'what is a human?' genre, but I felt it left too much out. Still, very watchable and I really liked the special effects, apparently they were bargain basement, but worked really well for me.
    I love Moon. Sam Rockwell always watchable and Spacey great as the android’s voice.  Directed by David Bowie’s son, Duncan Jones. 
    Is that who he is? I watched Mute (another of Jones' movies) a couple of days ago. (It was pants.)
    Yes, he is the former Zowie Bowie...  I haven't seen Mute, but apparently it's supposed to be a sequel to Moon, in some way.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    It’s in the “Mooniverse” as Jones calls it, it’s not really related at all to the original, bar one scene. I liked Mute but it’s very odd. There’s a new graphic novel - MADI, I think it’s called, also set in the same universe. 
    edited July 2021
    Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (1982)

17 year old Billy, orphaned when his parents were killed in a car crash - in suspicious circumstances - lives with his aunt Cheryl, an obsessive, eccentric woman who wants Billy all to herself...

This was on the Video Nasties list way back in the '80s and I'd never seen it before.  Hard to see what was supposed to be so shocking about it, but Susan Tyrrell does give a fine, over the top performance as the demented Aunt Cheryl.  I've no idea what the title's supposed to mean, it also had a number of alternative titles including the equally meaningless Night Warning.

Actually there is something quite shocking, for the time - Billy's basketball coach is gay but portrayed as an entirely sympathetic character.  And the primary villain is a bigoted, homophobic cop who makes Cheryl seem quite sympathetic in comparison.
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 464
    Chuffola said:
    VimFuego said:
    Yeah, Moon is a great film. The soundtrack (by Clint Mansell, of PWEI) is a large part of it I think, but the whole package struck a chord with me. I'd seen Sam Rockwell in a few things, but his performance in Moon made me pay attention (and caused me to watch Lawn Dogs, also a great film).

I started watching The Tomorrow War - it's not particularly good, and indulges in a few too many tropes that get my goat (bottomless magazines, for one - Pratt's character is supposed to be ex-Special Forces but is just hurling bullets at the aliens - guns simply can't carry that many bullets in one magazine) but it looks OK (I'm watching on an 8 inch tablet which may well be hiding a multitude of sins). I haven't decided if I'm going to watch any more. Maybe while I'm doing the washing up, as it's not something I need to pay too much attention to.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1662
    Casablanca again with the wife

Loved it, grinned all the way through and pretty much finished every sentence in it .

Definitely in my top 3 , so many fantastic supporting characters , great lines and a story that doesn’t need any clumsy dialogue to explain what’s going on to those that can’t follow it
    How many times/often do you reckon you could watch it ?!

Just…sheer class.

It has probably been over six months, but think I am overdue another dose. Might follow it with Woody Allen’s ‘Play it Again Sam’.
    edited July 2021
    Zero Dark Thirty.

Couldn’t agree more - a really underrated film.

I think the casting and Katherine Bigelow have a lot to do with it.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    Foolishly didnt check here before watching The Tomorrow War.  0/10.  
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3346
    mgaw said:
    Foolishly didnt check here before watching The Tomorrow War.  0/10.  
    It was rubbish wasnt it!
    Another Round

Danish comedy/drama where 4 teachers experiment with drinking alcohol during the day.

Very funny but 17 years since i last drank I wasnt tempted to resume
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581

Loved it, grinned all the way through and pretty much finished every sentence in it .

Definitely in my top 3 , so many fantastic supporting characters , great lines and a story that doesn’t need any clumsy dialogue to explain what’s going on to those that can’t follow it

Just…sheer class.

It has probably been over six months, but think I am overdue another dose. Might follow it with Woody Allen’s ‘Play it Again Sam’.
    That’s interesting- I’ve never enjoyed a woody Allen film but I’ve never seen that one . Maybe I’ll give it a go

Just…sheer class.

That’s interesting- I’ve never enjoyed a woody Allen film but I’ve never seen that one . Maybe I’ll give it a go
    Hmmm - if you don't like Woody Allen, then you might struggle - but it is one of my faves and a very easy watch (hapless film nerd obsessed with Bogart and continually failing to get the girl).
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Waves. It was terrible. good music though
    Black Widow

A bit long and boring.  Sadly it seems Marvel golden days are coming to an end.

Another Round

As a non drinker this danish film about alcohol was hilarious
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    The Dead Don't Die 

Netflix

' The movie just ends, as if Jarmusch ran out of money or a reason to go on. '
    [ quote from the Rolling Stone review] 

Sort of an American Shaun of the Dead on mogadon. References to many other films that might pass you by unless you are a film buff ( even references to Dixon of Dock Green and Frank Zappa's 200 Motels) and a star studded cast ( Bill Murray, Tilda Swinson, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop) are the reasons to watch as it's not fun, not scary and basically just a bit odd. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    Dark Was The Night (aka Monster Hunter in the UK).  This is an understated little horror film that covers well-trodden ground - but the central performances from Kevin Durand and Lukas Haas lift it above the run-of-the-mill.  Don't be put off by the first 5 mins.  There's a believable human interest sub-plot and some genuine scares along the way.  Really enjoyable - 7/10.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716

Just…sheer class.

Hmmm - if you don't like Woody Allen, then you might struggle - but it is one of my faves and a very easy watch (hapless film nerd obsessed with Bogart and continually failing to get the girl).

Agree with that assessment - of all Woody Allen's films probably the one you're most likely to enjoy if you're not a fan.  And the one with the most laugh-out-loud moments.  Although push comes to shove I maybe prefer Annie Hall or Hannah And Her Sisters.

I wonder how many times I've watched Casablanca - could well be approaching double figures.  Last time I watched it was within the past year or two after a gap of many years and enjoyed it as much as ever. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    edited July 2021
    The Dead Don't Die 

Netflix

' The movie just ends, as if Jarmusch ran out of money or a reason to go on. '
    [ quote from the Rolling Stone review] 

Sort of an American Shaun of the Dead on mogadon. References to many other films that might pass you by unless you are a film buff ( even references to Dixon of Dock Green and Frank Zappa's 200 Motels) and a star studded cast ( Bill Murray, Tilda Swinson, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop) are the reasons to watch as it's not fun, not scary and basically just a bit odd. 
    I didn't know what to make of it.  I like Jarmusch - I never really go out of my way to watch his films, but all the ones I've seen I've enjoyed.  And I love zombie movies, so the idea of a Jim Jarmusch zombie movie was a surprise, but an interesting one.

And then we get to the film... I really liked the cast, and enjoyed most of the performances (especially Tilda Swinton's).  And the zombie-movie aspects are fun, at least to begin with.  But then it's like he doesn't know where to take it, or just loses interest... at which point most directors would decide (or be told) to re-write the script, or abandon it altogether.  But because he's Jim Jarmusch, he just sort of winds it up and says, ah, that'll do.

I found the bits where Murray and Driver drop out of character really irritating - that can work in some films but it doesn't here.  And the Dawn of the Dead stuff, about the zombies clinging on to the consumerist ideals they had in life, is just lazy and clumsy.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3197
    I’m not sure how I managed this, but I’m not far off 47 and only got round to seeing Brazil last night. Doesn’t Jonathan Pryce e look really young in it!

I must have been having an odd day because I also listened to an audiobook of Brave New World. All very distopian.

• musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 907
    Recently watched:

Nobody
    A quiet place part 2
    Freaky

Nobody. Loved it. The John Wick team have done a good job with Bob Odenkirk

a quiet place part 2. Very good if you liked the first. Not perfect but I enjoyed it.

Freaky. Great premise. Freaky Friday meets Friday the 13th with Vince Vaughan who nails both roles he plays.

He does a great job in a flawed but fun movie.