What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    Zero Dark Thirty

Never seen it before, but it popped up on Prime as a "leaving Prime soon" thing.

More interesting than I thought it would be, and far less gung-ho America Fuck Yeah too.
    I don't think I ever "enjoy" watching things like this, but it was interesting, well cast, and well scripted.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    The Outpost (2020)   -  based-on-a-true-story war film centred on a USAF forward base in Afghanistan in 2009. Military genius situated this base in a valley surrounded by mountains, so basically a sitting target for the Taliban. The film is a reasonable mix of character studies and firefight action. The battle scenes are well done, and it's hard to accuse the film of being gung-ho for the Yanks given the amount of decorations that were in fact handed out to the soldiers who took part in the battle (including two Medals of Honour for living servicemen).

watched this last night. I found it a hard watch and could not help wonder how accurate the porttrail was. I cant belive even the americans could be so incompetent. At one point they are sent out to patrol the area the attacks was coming from and all the do is complain and argue with each other and are not looking out for potential issues. when they drive up to a suspicious object in the middle of the road and they just walk up to it and stand looking at it with their faces directly over it. As the tenstion escalates and then a large battle starts they still dont seem to have any system in place for ammo replen

I was in Kabul my self during 2009 so was looking forward to watching this but was dissapointed. I cant help think this is slightly insulting to the people who were actually involed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Offset said:
    I made the mistake of watching Amazon's 'The Tomorrow War' last night.  It was truly dreadful - appalling acting, zero plot, dull pacing and the usual US syrupy father-daughter schmaltz chucked in for good measure.  I knew it was going to be brain-dead before I watched it, but sometimes I fancy something cerebrally non-taxing to pass the hours as I self-isolate with a glass of vino.  But this was SO non-taxing I wanted to pare my nails rather than pay attention.  Proper drivel - avoid.  1/10. 

Yeah, I started watching it last night but never really got into it and ended up giving in and going to bed. 
    I'll admit that I was a bit late in starting it but thought if it was any good I'd watch some and the rest tonight. Don't think I'll bother now.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Offset said:
    I made the mistake of watching Amazon's 'The Tomorrow War' last night.  It was truly dreadful - appalling acting, zero plot, dull pacing and the usual US syrupy father-daughter schmaltz chucked in for good measure.  I knew it was going to be brain-dead before I watched it, but sometimes I fancy something cerebrally non-taxing to pass the hours as I self-isolate with a glass of vino.  But this was SO non-taxing I wanted to pare my nails rather than pay attention.  Proper drivel - avoid.  1/10. 

Yeah, I started watching it last night but never really got into it and ended up giving in and going to bed. 
    I'll admit that I was a bit late in starting it but thought if it was any good I'd watch some and the rest tonight. Don't think I'll bother now.
    I find if I start watching a film and fall asleep I can never be bothered to go back and watch the rest if it.

I added The Tomorrow War to my list on Amazon yesterday, never heard of it before, but perhaps I'll give it a miss...
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

I find if I start watching a film and fall asleep I can never be bothered to go back and watch the rest if it.

I added The Tomorrow War to my list on Amazon yesterday, never heard of it before, but perhaps I'll give it a miss...
    Watched it. And now I feel dirty and used. 

Truly, a cinematic cesspool. Avoid. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    edited July 2021
    Terminator: Dark Fate

A superhuman Nicholas Lyndhurst goes back in time to save the future of humanity, a wee Mexican lass, from the latest generation of schizophrenic, human killing, shape shifting cyborg in a reboot of the franchise that's harder to kill off than a T-800.

Not the worst Terminator film of the series but far from the best and unfortunately left in a perfect state for another flogging of the deceased equine mammal.

How much more cash does this cow have for milking?

PS. the plot has more holes than a block of hardened coagulated milk protein at a Swiss deli counter.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    Moon. An interesting addition to the whole 'what is a human?' genre, but I felt it left too much out. Still, very watchable and I really liked the special effects, apparently they were bargain basement, but worked really well for me.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    Greatape said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

Watched it. And now I feel dirty and used. 

Truly, a cinematic cesspool. Avoid. 
    Yep.  Terrible.

Borrows from Transformers, War of The Worlds, Independence Day, and pretty much any other alien invasion movie.

The time travel stuff is so stupid and lazy.

Good looking aliens, but other effects did not get the same kind of budget!!

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3828
    Top Gun remastered on BluRay... looks great.

Steel Dawn (1987)

In a post-apocalyptic desert world where water is a scarce resource, a wandering swordsman helps a widow and her young son defeat a villainous local landowner.

This is basically Shane meets Mad Max, shot on a nothing budget in the Namibian Desert.  Patrick Swayze, sporting some extraordinary hair extensions, stars with his real-life wife Lisa Niemi plus some familiar faces like Brion James, Anthony Zerbe and Arnold Vosloo.  It was released the same year as Dirty Dancing - good job he didn't turn that down to make this...

I can remember seeing this in the video rental shops back in the '80s, but I'd never actually watched it.  Just happened to stumble on it channel-hopping this evening.
  • You should check out Hell Comes To Frogtown, starring Rowdy Roddy Piper. 

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3937
    Jim Jarmusch’s The Dead Don’t Die, featuring Tom Waits, Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton and a bunch of other familiar faces. Quirky, clever, funny and I rather enjoyed it.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    Jim Jarmusch’s The Dead Don’t Die, featuring Tom Waits, Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton and a bunch of other familiar faces. Quirky, clever, funny and I rather enjoyed it.
    Yep, very good indeed.  Nice deadpan performance from Bill Murray.  A whiff of Kill Bill from Tilda Swinton there too :-)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Offset said:
    Yep, very good indeed.  Nice deadpan performance from Bill Murray.  A whiff of Kill Bill from Tilda Swinton there too :-)

Although only a small part, Iggy Pop is laugh out loud funny in it too.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    You should check out Hell Comes To Frogtown, starring Rowdy Roddy Piper. 

That I have seen, a long time ago.  And it's available on Blu-ray, for anyone mad enough to buy it (Steel Dawn isn't, except, apparently, in Germany).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Phantom Thread

Multiple Oscar-nominated Paul Thomas Anderson film with Daniel Day-Lewis (in his last role, apparently - he's retired). What could possibly go wrong?

Well... almost everything really. The plot, the characters, and the acting all completely failed to convince me and the whole thing seemed quite ridiculously contrived and trying way too hard. The photography, costumes and period locations were all excellent, but not enough to save the whole thing from looking like a very well-made TV drama. It seems to have gone down well with the critics, but I have no idea why.

6/10

(iPlayer)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_Q said:
    You should check out Hell Comes To Frogtown, starring Rowdy Roddy Piper. 

That I have seen, a long time ago.  And it's available on Blu-ray, for anyone mad enough to buy it (Steel Dawn isn't, except, apparently, in Germany).
    HCTF is on Prime atm. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    VimFuego said:
    Moon. An interesting addition to the whole 'what is a human?' genre, but I felt it left too much out. Still, very watchable and I really liked the special effects, apparently they were bargain basement, but worked really well for me.
    I love Moon. Sam Rockwell always watchable and Spacey great as the android’s voice.  Directed by David Bowie’s son, Duncan Jones. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    Casablanca again with the wife

Loved it, grinned all the way through and pretty much finished every sentence in it .

Definitely in my top 3 , so many fantastic supporting characters , great lines and a story that doesn’t need any clumsy dialogue to explain what’s going on to those that can’t follow it
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3937
    I just watched Netflix’s Fried Barry. It kind of felt like an Aphex Twin video that went on too long…
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent