What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Yesterday and Back in the USSR were the two highlights for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    The cobbler. Starting adam sandler was quite good. 

He plays a cobbler tired of his humdrum life. Then he discovers a secret. 
    I won't spoil the plot.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    ICBM said:
    Yesterday

The best bit was something I wasn’t quite expecting but was very well done. (Spoiler avoidance.)
    Indeed. Apparently Himesh Patel wasn’t told what to expect so that the camera would capture his reaction.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 325
    Yesterday. Takes a moderately interesting idea and does absolutely nothing with it.
  • BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 325
    Kenny. Mockumentary about a guy who installs outside toilets. Sounds dreadful but It's terrific.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Death Line. Donald Pleasance as a policeman investigating cannibals who live in London tube stations and are taking people late at night. I remember going to see it at the cinema when it was released in 72. Probably scared the crap out of me back then, now it just seems laughable, with terribly dated SFX. I still enjoyed it, though that’s mostly just nostalgia. “Mind the doors!” Lol. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Yesterday (following all of the mentions above). It's nice enough in a 'Notting Hill on Sea' way, but I sort of agree with @Barquentine - there was a lot more potential. Lead actor was excellent, although the constant downbeat lines he was given grated a bit. 6/10
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Not had a particularly successful run of movie choices recently.

Firstly I watched Believe Me: The Abduction of Lisa McVey.

Based on true events and presumably endorsed by the title character since she featured in the film at the end, it tells of the abduction of Lisa by serial killer Bobby Joe Long.  McVey somehow convinced Long to release her instead of killing her and she made incredible mental notes which she was able to pass on to the police to help catch the guy.

Obviously a horrific event and an evil person, but the movie had a very made-for-TV feel about it and couldn't help feeling that they could have done more with it.

Competent but not amazing 6/10

Next we attempted to watch The Counsellor, which should have been a wonderful film given its all star cast.  We got about half hour in and I asked the missus if she had any cue what was going on and like me she hadn't the foggiest so off it went.

If there was a plot it was too bizarre for me to twig and it just seemed like some random characters and events loosely linked to one another somehow.

Next up was Zero Dark Thirty, a very gritty post 9/11 story, apparently true events, about the hunt to catch Osama Bin Laden.  Again we got about half hour in (bearing in mind it's quite a long film) and we both decided we weren't into it so it went off.  

It's not that it was a badly made film or poorly portrayed, far from it.  It just didn't seem to be moving along very quickly and there's only so much mistreatment and gratuitous torture, sorry "enhanced interrogation techniques", of other human beings I can watch for entertainment purposes before I have to call it a day.  Not particularly happy Sunday evening viewing.

If it was made to progress a bit faster and the interrogations were implied with a bit more subtlety perhaps I could have stuck with it.

Finally, we settled down to watch Just Married.  We've both seen it a number of times but it was just an easy watching choice and it didn't disappoint.  Still funny and Ashton Kutcher and Britney Murphy are still great to watch.

A decent romcom and very funny, I'm sure I'll watch it again a few times before I'm planted.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1763
    Cruella is my new favourite movie.
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 326
    11:14,    (Amazon Prime)

Apparently random events that all occur at 11.14pm one night, are seen from the different perspectives of several participants.
    Slightly different film, which we enjoyed.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    John Wick: Chapter 2.

If I wanted to listen to 2 hours of grunting and groaning I'd just go dogging.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    The Dead Don't Die.

Fantastic cast with some unusual casting choices, but overall desperately trying to be cool and quirky and failing to achieve either. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    Event Horizon.

The Mrs had never seen it, so we watched it last night. I still say that Sam Neill is one fo the worst actors ever, and the characters in this film are just ridiculous stereotypes - but it's a great sci-fi film. Basically, what happens in Warhammer 40k if you enter The Warp.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Don't Look Now

Classic Nic Roeg suspense/horror with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, based on a story by Daphne du Maurier. I'd seen it decades ago but couldn't remember a lot of the detail apart from the ending, MrsICBM only knew of it because of the notorious sex scene (which is not actually especially graphic by modern standards, although it was at the time).

Brilliant. The sheer sense of dread and foreboding is almost overpowering, Venice in the winter in the 1970s is creepy and disorientating, and the photography is outstanding. There are a few slightly jarring bits of direction that seem slightly clunky and dated now, but they don't spoil it. Sutherland especially is great, although Christie a little forced. If you've never seen it, or like me only a very long time ago, it's well worth a go.

9/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    ICBM said:
    MrsICBM only knew of it because of the notorious sex scene (which is not actually especially graphic by modern standards, although it was at the time).

I could happily do without sex scenes in most films but the one in Don't Look Now is very powerful, it feels like something "real" and significant. 

A million miles from the standard bit of writhing around in flattering lighting with Kenny G playing in the background (just before the final showdown if it's an action movie, and just before the lovers get killed if it's a horror movie).

Anyway, glad you liked the film.  I've seen it many times but I always find it unsettling, it'll never lose its effectiveness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    ''I care a lot''.

It was sitting in our queue for weeks, we finally decided to watch it last night.

What a positive surprise! A court-appointed care legal guardian exploits elderly wards and is really good at what she's doing, until...

Few twists here and there, very convincing Rosamund Pike and surprise appearance by Peter Dinklage.

I was expecting it to be mediocre and in the end I really enjoyed it.

6.125/10
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 710
    Tomboy on Amazon prime. Here is a film with a strong WTF? quotient. If I understood what was going on, a hitman, played by an actress in a false beard so you're supposed to think it's a man, kills someone. Dead bloke's sister, a rogue surgeon, kidnaps hitman, who we see coming out of anaesthetic to find he's had a sex change and is now a woman. Hitwoman seeks revenge... utterly bizarre. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    ICBM said:
    Don't Look Now

Classic Nic Roeg suspense/horror with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, based on a story by Daphne du Maurier. I'd seen it decades ago but couldn't remember a lot of the detail apart from the ending, MrsICBM only knew of it because of the notorious sex scene (which is not actually especially graphic by modern standards, although it was at the time).

Brilliant. The sheer sense of dread and foreboding is almost overpowering, Venice in the winter in the 1970s is creepy and disorientating, and the photography is outstanding. There are a few slightly jarring bits of direction that seem slightly clunky and dated now, but they don't spoil it. Sutherland especially is great, although Christie a little forced. If you've never seen it, or like me only a very long time ago, it's well worth a go.

9/10
    tremendous film, one of my favourite horror type films.  Something about the 70s, was a great period for the genre.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Tomboy on Amazon prime. Here is a film with a strong WTF? quotient. If I understood what was going on, a hitman, played by an actress in a false beard so you're supposed to think it's a man, kills someone. Dead bloke's sister, a rogue surgeon, kidnaps hitman, who we see coming out of anaesthetic to find he's had a sex change and is now a woman. Hitwoman seeks revenge... utterly bizarre. 
    I started watching that about six months ago but fell asleep after about half an hour.  I've only just woken up I never bothered to watch the rest of it.  

It's directed by Walter Hill who made The Warriors and 48 Hrs.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Kill Me Three Times (Netflix) - a complete knock-off of an early Tarantino movie. Was it homage or blatant theft? Cinematography (best bit), sound track, schlock-violence. And Simon Pegg mis-cast. Pants. 2/10