What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5806
    Chaos

Action thriller heist movie with Jason Statham and Wesley Snipes. 

Both Statham and Snipes massively overact their parts, I usually don’t my JS bit he was a bit irritating to watch. 

Never liked Snipes much and didn’t like him in this either. 

The plot tries to be clever but fails. The big twist is fairly obvious from the start, the other, which is a sub twist of the main twist, makes no sense. 

4/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1796
    Offset said:
    Aftermath, 2021.  Couple-move-to-new-house-for-new-start movie.  Tried as I might, I really couldn't warm to this film.  I really didn't like the main characters and found it difficult to sympathise with them;  various strands of the plot have been done elsewhere many times; and in the end I just didn't care too much about the denouement.  That said, there are some good scares and the production values are decent, but in the end - meh. 5/10.
    We watched that last night. Some genuinely creepy bits and a couple of jumps, but we both thought the end was just ridiculous; my wife properly cracked up when the reveal happened
    Same here. 

Main characters were terrible - cold, lacking any emotional depth... serious plot holes as well.

I was prepared for a mediocre film and if it wouldn't be for the ending I'd give it solid 4/10 but eventually it was more like 2.225/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12628
    Missus Munckee and I watched young guns 1 & 2 yesterday to reminisce. They have been surpassed so many times since but I remember them being good in the 90s.  Watchable but that’s it. 

We watched about a boy today for nostalgia, now that is still brilliant. 
    Hot Shots!

Seen it many times. Brilliant, just brilliant!  And Valeria Golino!!

Anyone know anything about the chihuahua gag? Didn’t get that at all. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23824
    edited August 2021
    Offset said:
    Aftermath, 2021.  Couple-move-to-new-house-for-new-start movie.  Tried as I might, I really couldn't warm to this film.  I really didn't like the main characters and found it difficult to sympathise with them;  various strands of the plot have been done elsewhere many times; and in the end I just didn't care too much about the denouement.  That said, there are some good scares and the production values are decent, but in the end - meh. 5/10.
    We watched that last night. Some genuinely creepy bits and a couple of jumps, but we both thought the end was just ridiculous; my wife properly cracked up when the reveal happened
    Same here. 

Main characters were terrible - cold, lacking any emotional depth... serious plot holes as well.

I was prepared for a mediocre film and if it wouldn't be for the ending I'd give it solid 4/10 but eventually it was more like 2.225/10
    Well we're all agreed on this one.  Horror movies featuring bland middle-class American couples with nice houses and candles in their bathrooms are never any good... and this is no exception.  Complete and utter tripe which fails on every possible level.
  • The Old Guard (2020). Enjoyable action movie, Charlize Theron is great as always, as is Chiwetel Ejiofor. Some great action scenes, with some decent plot and solid acting in between.

It's based on a comic by Greg Rucka, who is one of my favourite comic writers, and due to this avoids some of the issues a lot of comic book movies have with a shonky plot. Very pleased that a sequel is in the works.
  • Watched Fear Street 1 & 2, the second is much better than the first. Interesting story unfolding. 

Not a movie but started watching White House Farm on Netflix, "based on true" drama about a murder/suicide on an Essex farm. Excellent so far, except Mark Addy's terrible Essex accent.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    The Suicide Squad (2021) - 7/10

Had me really laughing in a few places, and much better than the other Suicide Squad film. Plus, Margot Robbie.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3730
    'Monsters of Man'. Low-budg sci fi. Slightly better actors than usual Amazon low budg fare.  Again, better than Tomorrow War. 

Probably could have thought of a better title. 'Killbot!' or 'Robo-Rage!' or something. 
  • Greyhound (Apple+) - Not bad, a bit slow in places - 8/10

The Tomorrow War (Amazon Prime) - “Heavily” inspired by Alien & nowhere near as good. The ending was pants too - 3/10

• Watched Fear Street 1 & 2, the second is much better than the first. Interesting story unfolding. 

Not a movie but started watching White House Farm on Netflix, "based on true" drama about a murder/suicide on an Essex farm. Excellent so far, except Mark Addy's terrible Essex accent.

The third one is worth a watch too :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• BrioBrio Frets: 1981
    +1 for the new Suicide Squad.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    The Island - thought it was going to be fairly derivative, until the major plot shift (no spoliers). Really enjoyed it.

Ewan McGregor & Scarlett Johanssen ably supported by Stev Buscemi & Sean Bean.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23824
    edited August 2021
    Jalapeno said:
    The Island - thought it was going to be fairly derivative, until the major plot shift (no spoliers). Really enjoyed it.

@Jalapeno It is fairly derivative... see the 1979 film Parts: The Clonus Horror.  It has practically the same plot.
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    The Great Wall

Matt Damon in an advert for the CCP basically. Bad.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3730
    Iron Sky - The Coming Race. 

Udo Kier, as Hitler, on.a T-Rex. 
  • Jalapeno said:

Oh yeah, brill film. Forgot about that one.
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Again!  Still a wonderful and brilliantly made film.

Nuff said.

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1610
    Offset said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Eric Clapton: My Life in 12 Bars.

I don’t normally swear but, fuck, what an awful childhood. And for quite a lot of the film what a horrible person. Ultimately he does redeem himself but, very sadly, it takes the death of his to bring him to his senses. Certainly not an easy watch (and quite upsetting - and unsettling - in parts) but definitely worthwhile. Would I recommend it? Yes, if you’re a Clapton fan but otherwise probably not really of interest.
    I'm an admirer of Clapton but not a fan, if that makes sense.  I really found this absorbing, but it was a hard watch.  'Enjoyed' it would be the wrong way of describing it, but it's a very worthy documentary regardless of whether you love the guy or not.
    Thanks for flagging this one. I am not a fan either, though am quite interested in Clapton's history through The Yardbirds, Cream etc. And in particular his relationship with George and Patti.

So, a riveting watch, and yep, what an awfully confusing and troubled childhood, resulting in quite an objectionable but talented person.

Amazing they had so much public and personal footage. As happens a lot, I found the last quarter hour to be a resolution of sorts, albeit tinged with the Hollywood happy ending. However really worth viewing even if for the stock archive alone...
  • Llamageddon and Killer Sofa. :)