What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot
1640641642643644646»

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7900
    rze99 said:

North By Northwest

1959 Movie, BBC iPlayer (so no ad bollx)

Classic Alfred Hitchcock thriller with Cary Grant and Jaaaaames Maaason.. Advertising executive Roger Thornhill is mistaken for the mysterious Mr Kaplan by a ruthless espionage ring and ends up being pursued with intent to kill.

Utterly. Brilliant.

10 /10 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b025ydrv/north-by-northwest

Hmmpf, just like rear window, it feels dated. I'd give it 7/10 for historical curiosity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10428

Downrange, recommended by @Philly_Q a few weeks ago but finally got round to watching it. Six young adults break down in the middle of nowhere only to be picked off on by one by a sniper hidden in a tree. Some truly shocking acting as one would expect from a low budget job like this, but still highly enjoyable due to some decent practical effects. Not sure the ending is supposed to be laugh out loud funny, but I couldn't help myself.

Recommended so long as you keep your expectations reasonably low.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3368
    IF - undoubtedly without question the greatest new film I have watched this year.. 10/10
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    IF - undoubtedly without question the greatest new film I have watched this year.. 10/10
    Because…….?
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3368
    rze99 said:
    Because…….?
    Because it was really really REALLY good.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Just got home from the cinema after watching The Bikeriders, starring Austin Butler, Jodie Comer & Tom Hardy. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be checking Spotify to see if they have the playlist which suited the film really well: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21454134/soundtrack/

8.5/10
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 923
    The Roaring Twenties. What a stonking film! It happened to be on the TV when I went into the kitchen for lunch, and I ended up watching the whole thing ...again! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12544
    edited 9:35AM
    Edgar Allan Poe's Lighthouse Keeper (2015), Prime.

It's the early 1900s.  A young man is washed up on a beach dominated by a lighthouse sitting on top of the adjacent cliff.  He briefly glimses a young woman, but falls whilst trying to scale the cliff and blacks out again.  He comes to in the lighthouse after being carried there by the lighthouse keeper, who solemnly tells him to always keep a light burning.  Thereafter, things slowly become more mysterious and he finds himself confronted by seemingly supernatural events.

This is a low-budget horror and as such, my expectations were fairly low.  However, anything to do with Poe always attracts my attention so I cracked on with this.  Well... I loved it.  Yes, the lack of budget is obvious and some of the CGI (especially the background scenery in places) is a bit old-school.  However, there is a real sense of brooding menace and the use of dark, shadow and candlelight is very well done.  It's redolent in style of some of the older BBC Ghost Story For Christmas productions.  And...

...as the plot reveals itself, so does its' similarity to Carpenter's The Fog.

I'll admit I more or less guessed the twist/denouement a bit past half way but that in no way spoiled my enjoyment of it.  The acting was OK (but no more) but the overall package was, for me, thoroughly enjoyable.

A very pleasant surprise.

6/10.