What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12547
    Black Mass (2015).  Absolutely brilliant lead performance from Johnny Depp as real-life mobster Whitey Bulger.  Depp is virtually unrecognisable as Bulger and this is the best piece of acting I've seen him produce.  A cracking movie with a similar feel, style and narrative to (say) Goodfellas.  Highly recommended - 9/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1006
    The Devil Rides Out

Greatest movie ever made

Its my fave Hammer for sure !  i also like "straight on till morning but thats a bit different , with shane briant and the tush ... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1006
    Greatape said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been watching the hammer Dracula films in order, diminishing returns until The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. Purest nonsense 8 out of 10.
    I love Hammer movies and I love Dracula films, but to be heretical I've always found them a bit disappointing... To cast a guy like Christopher Lee, with so much screen presence and such a fantastic voice, then to have the character hardly feature and (almost) never speak... But the first one is great, especially the scene when Van Helsing runs along the table and tears down the curtains to let the daylight in.  What an ending.
    A favourite of mine was 'Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter.'.

Caroline Munroe  <3  .... just saying  x
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard - pretty much what you expect from such a film. Couple of very amusing parts though, and Salma By'eck. 7/10

Jungle Cruise - Again, what you'd expect from a Disney movie. Kind of 'Pirates of the Caribbean lite'. Good fun film, but very stupid in places. Plus, I've noticed in every film, Emily Blunt's eyebrows never move. 6/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23757
    Boss Level

From the Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow/Happy Death Day school of filmmaking - Frank Grillo plays an ex-military type who has to re-live the same day over and over in an attempt to stop some bad guys doing... a really bad thing which could bring the world to an end.  The plot doesn't even qualify as paper-thin and the wisecracking style didn't really work for me, but the action bits are OK and the father-son bonding bits are quite nice (I think it's Grillo's own kid).  The ending seemed very abrupt, maybe I should have been reading something into it... but I didn't.

Free on Amazon Prime.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7775
    The Mauritanian - a hell of a watch 
    Red ones are better. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12547
    Superdeep (2020) Russian horror set at the bottom of a 12 km-deep borehole.  Very strongly influenced by Carpenter's The Thing (one of THE great horror movies, period) but without his stamp of genius.  There are some genuinely creepy moments however and, like many of Carpenter's movies, it has a suspenseful and atmospheric soundtrack to accompany it.  Hardly a classic, very unoriginal and it was slightly hard to follow on a couple of occasions, but I watched it through to the end and found it reasonably distracting.  5/10.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    edited August 2021
    Black Mass was good

Midsommer was really weird but strangely watchable 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5799
    Rush

I watched it a few years ago but it's back on Netflix and Mrs Haych wanted to watch it so we watched it together last night.

For anyone who doesn't know it's a biopic of the life of James Hunt and Niki Lauda during their 1976 battle for the F1 title and covers Lauda's horrific accident during that year.

I can't vouch for it's historical accuracy as it's a bit before my time, (and I'm too lazy to research it for myself) but I give it the benefit of the doubt.

It's excellently made, in fact I can't think of any way it could have been made better, so for that I have to give it 10/10 by default.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3721
    west said:
    Greatape said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been watching the hammer Dracula films in order, diminishing returns until The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. Purest nonsense 8 out of 10.
    I love Hammer movies and I love Dracula films, but to be heretical I've always found them a bit disappointing... To cast a guy like Christopher Lee, with so much screen presence and such a fantastic voice, then to have the character hardly feature and (almost) never speak... But the first one is great, especially the scene when Van Helsing runs along the table and tears down the curtains to let the daylight in.  What an ending.

Sigh. Caroline. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1610
    Greatape said:
    west said:
    Greatape said:
    Philly_Q said:

Sigh. Caroline. 
    Never noticed it was filmed in ‘dynarama’. I must have been distracted by something way more interesting…
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1975
    What If...?
    The new Marvel animated series on Disney+.
    The first one asks what would happen if Peggy Carter got the supersoldier serum instead of Steve Rogers.
    I thought it was excellent. Fine animation as you'd expect and some quite interesting questions raised about how we perceive peoples roles. A good plot too.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6253
    Amelie, now streaming on Amazon Prime.

I'd forgotten just how wonderful this eccentric little French film was. It's the most perfect piece of whimsical humour and romance. Beautifully shot around Paris with a colour palette that must have inspired Wes Anderson.
    incredibly uplifting and funny in the most gentle of ways. Audrey Tautou is just mesmerising, gorgeous and quirky as Amelie.
    An absolutely glorious example of French cinema.

I loved it.  11/10

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
    The Art Of Self Defense. 

It was alright. Quite enjoyed it. 6/10
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5799
    Game Night

We've seen it a couple of times before but fancied another watch.

Surprisingly I think it was better the fourth or fifth time.  I'd noticed a definite drop off point before but last night wasn't aware that it went downhill at any point.

Jason Bateman is still a bit irritating and does a great job of playing Jason Bateman but Rachel McAdams makes up for that and is very good in her role and the rest of the main cast do a good job as well.

Some very, very funny parts still and I really enjoyed it all over again.

I'll have to dock a couple of marks as it's unnecessarily sweary and it really doesn't need to be, it would have been just as good and much less cringe-worthy with half the foul language in it.

7.5/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• As I type this I’m “watching’ a film called Final Days. Apparently it also is called Alone, and it’s a remake of a Korean film called Alive (or possibly #Alive). It’s really not very good… Donald Sutherland has just appeared in it; he’s not making it any better tbh
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23757
    As I type this I’m “watching’ a film called Final Days. Apparently it also is called Alone, and it’s a remake of a Korean film called Alive (or possibly #Alive). It’s really not very good… Donald Sutherland has just appeared in it; he’s not making it any better tbh
    I've just looked it up, I haven't seem Alone/Final Days or #Alive, but the story sounds quite similar to a French film called The Night Eats the World - that was really good.
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Philly_Q said:
    Boss Level

From the Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow/Happy Death Day school of filmmaking - Frank Grillo plays an ex-military type who has to re-live the same day over and over in an attempt to stop some bad guys doing... a really bad thing which could bring the world to an end.  The plot doesn't even qualify as paper-thin and the wisecracking style didn't really work for me, but the action bits are OK and the father-son bonding bits are quite nice (I think it's Grillo's own kid).  The ending seemed very abrupt, maybe I should have been reading something into it... but I didn't.

Free on Amazon Prime.
    This, they didn't quite nail it and borrowed very heavily from other films in the genre but overall watchable.

I watched Criminal the other night - wasn't expecting such a stellar cast but it was pretty decent.
  • Battle Los Angeles Seen it before and remembered it being shit, actually quite enjoyed it this time round. Kinda Black Hawk Down with aliens vibe.
  • Krull...  silly but fun watch.. 6/10.

Lysette Anthony looked nice.