What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23707
    Greatape said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Guns Akimbo

Daniel Radcliffe plays a nerd who trolls an online gaming channel which livestreams real-life death matches.  The game's organisers kidnap him and set him loose on the streets, a loaded gun stuck to each hand, with an assassin on his trail... 

This goes for a manic, frantic, hyper-real sort of atmosphere - like Scott Pilgrim meets Crank - but fails pretty badly.  "Interesting" subplots are introduced then thrown away instantly, the guy playing the main villain is particularly weak and not even the presence of Samara Weaving can save it.
    How does he pee?

They never consider this, villainous game organisers. 
    It's the sort of film where they might well have covered that problem, but I fell asleep for a while... there was certainly a bit where he tried to get a pair of jeans on, but gave up, and a lot of time where he was fumbling around trying to use a phone...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited August 2021
    AlbertC said:
    On Netflix, "Once upon a time in Hollywood" - 2 and 3/4 hours of self indulgent twaddle. 
     I'm not the biggest Tarrantino fan (post-Jackie Brown) but I quite liked this in the end, although I did wonder where it was all going for the first half. It's a strange re-writing of a bit of Hollywood history, I'll grant you that. There's some good scenes, and it looks great as a period piece. They must have spent a fortune closing off parts of LA and having age-correct cars as background traffic. 
    I wonder what exactly was behind the ridiculing Bruce Lee? 

I don't want to give away any spoilers but I thought it took a strange shift at a certain point. I thought it was OK though. Interesting enough to keep me watching to the end.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2862
    Do NOT (I reiterate NOT) watch “Shoplifters of the world” , a film supposedly with 4 stars about a group of The Smiths fans at the time of their breakup.

it turns out it’s not based in Manchester, is appalling, and was a waste of a Friday night.
    the script is appalling at sort of lower junior school play level, and the characters are very weak.  One or two of the actors might make of go of a career.

only thing holding it together was Smiths songs all the way through

Compare it to say, Blinded by the Light ... in fact don’t!
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    edited August 2021

Dead mans cards. Low budget gangster flick set in Liverpool, not a bad little movie, and i know two guys who starred briefly in it so it makes me chuckle.

Edit 18+

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3329
    Lucky (2017) 

Starring 89 year old Harry Dean Stanton who died shortly before its release.

A gentle story about getting old and death. Full of great characters with some deep philosophical themes.
    Saw it in the cinema greta movie HDS missed
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3329
    AlbertC said:
    Shrews said:
    Parasite 7/10

A Japanese film I watched ion a plane to Istanbul a few weeks ago. 
    Sorry to be a pedant but it's a South Korean film  ;)
    and also one of the best movies ever made
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3756
    edited August 2021
    Loch Ness...   an odd find online.    Not a classic.

Filmed in Torridon though....  Pretty scenery and surprised they got enough clear days.

5/10... but 7/10 if you have some 7-9 year olds kids to entertain.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1608

Filmed in Torridon though....  Pretty scenery and surprised they got enough clear days.

The one with Ted Danson and Natasha Richardson ?

If so, yeah it’s very watchable - I have a soft spot for it !!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    The Illusionist (2006). Set in late nineteenth century Vienna, illusionist Eisenheim (Edward Norton) uses his talents to reclaim and secure his relationship with his childhood sweetheart (who is by now involved with an ambitious and possessive Austrian crown Prince). Gripping from beginning to end, and beautifully filmed, A solid 8/10.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited August 2021

The one with Ted Danson and Natasha Richardson ?

If so, yeah it’s very watchable - I have a soft spot for it !!
    Yep... 

It ain’t no ‘Ring Of Bright Water’ but at least it does not traumatise and scar a kid for life. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23707
    ^ Now I keep thinking of Judas Priest's song "Loch Ness".  Not one of their best, to be honest. 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 559
    Boss Level - Amazon Prime   -  Stupid mindless violence but quite fun . 7/10
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1347
    Boss Level hooked me in, too.

Very cartoony and with the spurious video game link which feels tagged on.

It didn't really have a convincing underlying plot of any meaning to give it any substance, though, it's just the gimmick.  Naomi Watts should have been in it more, and there needed to be a better reason for her doing what she does.  She kinda comes across as the ultra villain of the piece, she knows this thing could end the world and not only completes it but activates it?

Only a 4/10 from me, I did like the humour of the violence and assassins.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    Nightingale

Australian drama. would be a ten with a Cave/Ellis soundtrack. Dark and disturbing, uncomfortable viewing at times. Netflix.

9/10
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    AlbertC said:
    On Netflix, "Once upon a time in Hollywood" - 2 and 3/4 hours of self indulgent twaddle. 
     I'm not the biggest Tarrantino fan (post-Jackie Brown) but I quite liked this in the end, although I did wonder where it was all going for the first half. It's a strange re-writing of a bit of Hollywood history, I'll grant you that. There's some good scenes, and it looks great as a period piece. They must have spent a fortune closing off parts of LA and having age-correct cars as background traffic. 
    I wonder what exactly was behind the ridiculing Bruce Lee? 

I was excited for this film, as I am fascinated by the Manson story, and that's how it was originally billed. I agree with you about the period piece correctness, and I did enjoy the film despite being disappointed by the lack of that.

Solid 8/10
    edited August 2021
    The Thirteenth Tale - free on Amazon Prime.  Vanessa Redgrave and Olivia Colman in it.

I am still deciding on a final score until my gothic novel mad daughter and wife see it.  They might see more in it. It is a modern take on a gothic horror.  A genre done well and better since the days of B&W IMO... Rebecca?

To me it feels it is like a jigsaw of different ideas lifted from a bunch of classic novels and films that does not quite fit right.   A fan of the genre might enjoy it though.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7129
    tFB Trader
    The Parent Trap (1998)

Granddaughter was watching it. Surprised to learn that Lyndsay Lohan has a twin.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    Philly_Q said:
    As I type this I’m “watching’ a film called Final Days. Apparently it also is called Alone, and it’s a remake of a Korean film called Alive (or possibly #Alive). It’s really not very good… Donald Sutherland has just appeared in it; he’s not making it any better tbh
    I've just looked it up, I haven't seem Alone/Final Days or #Alive, but the story sounds quite similar to a French film called The Night Eats the World - that was really good.
    The Night Eats the World has similarities but is far superior. 

The Korean #Alive is also much better than "Alone/Final Days" , especially if you like "Train to Busan" .
    "Alone/Final Days" is also missing the final part of the Korean original .

• HaychHaych Frets: 5797
    The Magnificent Seven (the 2016 remake)

Can't recall ever seeing the original so can't draw a comparison.

This story is fairly basic, seven guys come to the aid of a town of simple folk who have their land stolen and who are pressed into slavery by a maniacal villain who owns the local law and has a penchant for shooting people in cold blood should they dare to stand up to him.

The cast is pretty good with Denzel Washington in the lead role along with the likes of Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke.

While the movie is pretty good entertainment it feels a bit flat afterwards.  The whole premise of the plot is that there's going to be one huge fight at the end - and there is, but the substance leading up to the finale is lacking.

Some of the cast fall into their roles really well but for me, Washington is just too Denzel for his part and it doesn't work very well.  Compared to Peter Sarsgaard who plays the baddie Washington is just a name to put bums on cinema seats and with a more dynamic actor in the role it would have left a better lasting impression.

6.5/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    Haych said:
    The Magnificent Seven (the 2016 remake)

Can't recall ever seeing the original so can't draw a comparison.

Absolutely worth watching the original. And by original, I mean Kurosawa's 'Seven Samurai'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom