What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5797
    My Cousin Vinny

Something of a classic from the early 90s that I'd never seen before.

Mrs Haych recommended it and, glad she did, it was really good.

I assume everyone here apart from me has seen it but a brief synopsis is as follows:

Two young lads are arrested and charged with the murder of a shop assistant in a blunder of errors.  While awaiting trial, one of the young lads hires his cousin Vinny (Joe Pesci) to be their defence lawyer, despite never really having practised law in anger before.

Thus ensues a nightmare of error after mishap as Pesci tries to navigate his way through the Alabama legal system and save the lads from the electric chair.

Well made, very good and quite nostalgic, and features the very lovely (and very young) Marisa Tomei as a cherry on top of the icing.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12519
    edited August 2021
    Not really a film as such, but I watched the Bob Ross documentary on Netflix last night.  It was very good indeed.  I was worried Bob would come out of it badly for some reason, but he didn't.  He was what you saw on his shows - a gentle, likeable soul who adored what he did and wanted to spread his love of painting as far as he could.  Unfortunately, like many genuinely nice people in the public eye with a talent, his name and estate were taken advantage of by those around him who purported to be his friends.  I was moist-eyed on more than one occasion.  Recommended - 8/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12600
    Haych said:
    My Cousin Vinny

Something of a classic from the early 90s that I'd never seen before.

Mrs Haych recommended it and, glad she did, it was really good.

I assume everyone here apart from me has seen it but a brief synopsis is as follows:

Two young lads are arrested and charged with the murder of a shop assistant in a blunder of errors.  While awaiting trial, one of the young lads hires his cousin Vinny (Joe Pesci) to be their defence lawyer, despite never really having practised law in anger before.

Thus ensues a nightmare of error after mishap as Pesci tries to navigate his way through the Alabama legal system and save the lads from the electric chair.

Well made, very good and quite nostalgic, and features the very lovely (and very young) Marisa Tomei as a cherry on top of the icing.
    An excellent film, Gwynne, Pesci and Tomei all top drawer. One of my favourite comedies. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5797
    Interstate 60

A quirky mystery/fantasy/road-trip movie starring Gary Oldman and James Marsden in the primary roles.  There's a cameo from Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd pops up a couple of times, and Kurt Russell also makes a brief appearance.

The story centres around James' character, Neal Oliver, who at 22 is facing the first major crossroads of his life - does he follow his dreams as a struggling artist and the uncertainty that comes with it, or does he follow in his father's footsteps (who has paved the way forward for him) and start a life that leads to financial security but sells out his dreams.

After meeting Gary Oldman, who plays O.W Grant - a man who has the power to grant wishes on unsuspecting people, and often not in the way they expect, at his birthday party he embarks on a roadtrip to take a package given to him by Christopher Lloyd, to a town that does not exist via a road that does not exist.

It's something a bit different and has flavours of Big Fish about it, although it's a bit more subtle.

I'd seen it a long time ago and recommended it to Mrs Haych (as it was my turn to pick the movie last night).  Watching it the second time didn't disappoint and Mrs Haych enjoyed it so much she gave it 11/10.

I'm not sure I'd go that far but I reckon it's one I'd watch again.  It's a bit disappointing that there are pockets of strong language otherwise it would be something I'd watch with the kids - it's not constant though so doesn't make you recoil and wince.

Unfortunately not available currently on the streaming services we have (Disney +, Netflix and Prime) so had to shell out a couple of quid to iTunes, I think it was like £3.99 but it was £3.99 worth spending.

8/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• PoboyPoboy Frets: 431

Haych said:
    My Cousin Vinny
    What's a yoot?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10417
    Offset said:
    Not really a film as such, but I watched the Bob Ross documentary on Netflix last night.  It was very good indeed.  I was worried Bob would come out of it badly for some reason, but he didn't.  He was what you saw on his shows - a gentle, likeable soul who adored what he did and wanted to spread his love of painting as far as he could.  Unfortunately, like many genuinely nice people in the public eye with a talent, his name and estate were taken advantage of by those around him who purported to be his friends.  I was moist-eyed on more than one occasion.  Recommended - 8/10.
    Offset said:

Didn't know there was a documentary on him. Thanks for the heads up, I'll give that a watch. Was a big fan back in the day.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited August 2021
    Snatched 

Goldie hawn is a mother that goes on holiday to south America with her daughter and gets into all kinds of sticky situations.

If you want to just switch off your brain and have a couple of chuckles it's fine. That's about it.

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Outrage: Coda (2017)  Top-notch Yakuza drama. The theme is not original - indeed it has been the staple of pretty much every gangster movie ever made since the 1930s - but it is brilliantly explored. Also a nod to the sound artist - the gunshots in all 3 films of the Outrage trilogy have a richness and a visceral quality that is quite amazing.
    Moneyball - Netflix, true story. Baseball underdogs led by a General Manager with a novel approach give the big boys a run for their money. Quite enjoyable. 7/10
  • Snatched 

Goldie hawn is a mother that goes on holiday to south America with her daughter and gets into all kinds of sticky situations.

If you want to just switch off your brain and have a couple of chuckles it's fine. That's about it.

Is that the one with Amy Schumer as the daughter?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Snatched 

Is that the one with Amy Schumer as the daughter?
    That's the one. 
    3.10 to Yuma

Remake with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe.
    Decent, if a little formulaic. 6/10
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Reminisce 
    Hugh Jackman in utter tosh  3/10

Blood Red Sky
    Much better than I expected, a very different approach to a Vampire movie,
    The lead actress was excellentand I really enjoyed it. Recommended.  8.5/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited August 2021
    Rewatched Debbie Does  Dallas ,  funny thing ....it didn't turn me on as much as last time, ..

.....44yrs ago. LOL.

• LogieLogie Frets: 445
    Cruella. Not normally my thing but very enjoyable.
  • What Drives Us - Dave Grohl documentary about bands touring in vans. The kick off point was Dave talking about the van that was used for the first Foi Fighters tour, which he still owns. Some really cool people were interviewed for, some who I'd never heard of and many who I have.

Both highs and lows - D H Peligro of the Dead Kennedys was really open about his descent into alcoholism with the DKs, and then heroin with RHCP.

Dave Grohl is great, and although I'm not a particularly hard-core Foos fan, I've always liked the guy since the first album he did post- Nirvana, and he comes across really well in this.
    Both highs and lows - D H Peligro of the Dead Kennedys was really open about his descent into alcoholism with the DKs, and then heroin with RHCP.
    Wat?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

Didn't know there was a documentary on him. Thanks for the heads up, I'll give that a watch. Was a big fan back in the day.

The documentary is very good. Dare I say it, but actually a lot better than some of Ol Bob’s programs, which got a bit repetitive over the years. I like his stuff but there’s only so many mountains, trees, cabins and streams I want to see painted. Bob was a terrific guy with an interesting life story. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16418
    Poboy said:
    Wat?
    I didn't know he'd been in RHCP, although for less than a year based on Wikipedia. He does get three shared songwriting credits on Mother's Milk although doesn't appear on it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Downton Abbey movie (just turned up on Netflix). Good news: all your favourite characters are there. Bad news: they all get screen time and with such a big ensemble, there's no time for anything other than trivial plot lines. The best bit of DA (before the series turned soapy) was the historical changes in the family/servant's fortunes and futures, and this has nothing to offer on that. 2/10 (and the '2' is for the cinematography, set and costume design)