• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    rze99 said:
    SRich said:
    "Count Me In"   2021 (on Netflix)

Just watch the damn thing...it's amazing

10/10 for fans of percussion
    + 1

excellent

some of the finest moments here. Inspiring. 
    Yup. I watched that and thought that we guitarists have it easy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    Blood Red Sky (Netflix) - mentioned above. It's a genre-fluid film, and by the last quarter, I was too bored to try to follow the chaotic fight scenes. Particularly because they are flashbacks and you already know what's what. Luckily Netflix has 1.5x speed, and nothing is lost with that. 1/10 - the 1 being because they did not do the obvious plot twist at the end.
  • Only the Animals. 

Netflix 

French film about overlapping lives in France and the Ivory Coast. Bit murder mystery, bit about loneliness and passion. and yes there are some animals. 

It’s not a laugh a minute and the plot wouldn’t stand up to much scrutiny but it’s a bit different I guess. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2501
    ICON: Music through the Lens

Sky Arts - series. 

Superb series on pop and rock music photography. All the big names both of photographers and musicians and some really wonderful insightful stuff. Of course fabulous images and out takes. 
    Strongly recommended. 

9/10

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    edited September 2021
    We watched the new Cinderella. I like these sort of films and it didn't disappoint me, although clearly not everyone's cup of tea. Bits of it failed, bits didn't work in terms of script funnies, but overall good family fun. I thought that Minnie Driver looks really good at 51!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Currently watching Expatriate starring Aaron eackhart free on youtube.

CIA Operative goes to work one day, and the office where he works is void.

Pretty good so far.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Bad Times At The El Royale.

Wow!
    Best, most original film I've seen in ages.
    Words can't do it justice. Just watch it.
    Makes other films pale into insignificance.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16469
    Homefront, 2013 with Jason Statham.

I don't know why. Like, why they made it, why they broadcast it, why I started watching it, why I continued to watch it. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    The Fog

I'm working my way through a 100 horror films scratch off poster, this was random pick 94.

I watched it as a kid, and remember being bored.  I thought I might get more from it as an adult.  Nope, Still boring!  It's not so bad its good, its just boring.

• WezV said:
    The Fog

I'm working my way through a 100 horror films scratch off poster, this was random pick 94.

I watched it as a kid, and remember being bored.  I thought I might get more from it as an adult.  Nope, Still boring!  It's not so bad its good, its just boring.

Is it based on the James Herbert book? 
    I read I think everything by him at one point and The Fog was probably my least favourite of his early books ( he did some post apocalyptic novel that was absolutely terrible that I can’t even think of the name of but The Fog was written more in his prime). Off the top of my head I can’t think of a decent movie adaptation of any of them. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6159
    VimFuego said:
    Homefront, 2013 with Jason Statham.

I don't know why. Like, why they made it, why they broadcast it, why I started watching it, why I continued to watch it. 
    Wiz'd!

While I do like Jason Statham, a lot of his movies follow the same formula too closely, so much so that he's almost become a pastiche of Steven Seagal in churning out lame action movies that all have the same plot and which nobody really wants to watch.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

edited September 2021
    WezV said:
    The Fog

I read I think everything by him at one point and The Fog was probably my least favourite of his early books ( he did some post apocalyptic novel that was absolutely terrible that I can’t even think of the name of but The Fog was written more in his prime). Off the top of my head I can’t think of a decent movie adaptation of any of them. 
    different Fog.

The film has the ghosts of leperous pirates seeking revenge.  Its a John Carpenter film.  In the Herbert book the fog turns people insane

Not to be confused with The Mist, which is Stephen King's version with monsters hidden in fog

Not to be confused with Scotch Mist from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, which has the murderous spirits of dead highlanders inside

Know your weather!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Something's Gotta Give. (Netflix)

Rom-com in which Jack Nicholson (who plays Jack Nicholson perfectly) is an ageing playboy who heads to the beach-house owned by the mother of his latest 20-something fling for a dirty weekend.

Only their weekend is interrupted when fling's mother comes home unexpectedly and Jack has a heart attack and is forced to outstay his welcome as he recuperates.

Predictable, insipid, over long and a bit tedious in places.  It's not bad but does seem to drag in some parts.  The overall story is quite warm and fuzzy and there's nothing really offensive about the movie at all bar from one F-bomb.

Keanu Reeves plays a side interest but is cast as the perfect gentleman and his way too niceness is a bit sickly.

Not bad if you can get through the boring bits.

6/10

• OffsetOffset Frets: 13902
    WezV said:
    The Fog

Are you talking about the Carpenter movie from 1980?  If so - bona fide classic!!!
    Offset said:
    WezV said:
    The Fog

Are you talking about the Carpenter movie from 1980?  If so - bona fide classic!!!
    yes... its dull.   I love a lot of bad Carpenter film's, this one is just dull
  • WezV said:
    WezV said:
    The Fog

different Fog.

The film has the ghosts of leperous pirates seeking revenge.  Its a John Carpenter film.  In the Herbert book the fog turns people insane

Not to be confused with The Mist, which is Stephen King's version with monsters hidden in fog

Not to be confused with Scotch Mist from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, which has the murderous spirits of dead highlanders inside

Know your weather!
    Although none as scary as Gazza singing Fog on the Tyne. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Accountant, on Netflix. Utterly preposterous, but once I started watching I had to watch it all the way through. No somersaulting exploding cars, which was a bonus. Oddly, compulsively watchable.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    Vivo (2021) on Netflix

Andrés is a musician in Havana, his unrequited love Marta (Gloria Esteban) left for Florida forty years earlier and is now a successful singer. Marta is retiring, giving a farewell concert in Miami and Andrés is convinced by his friend Vivo, a kinkajou, to attend. 

Before Andrés can go disaster strikes and it is necessary for Vivo to step up and deliver Andrés' love song to Marta.

Some great music from Lin-Manuel Miranda and a very touching finale makes this a great film for all ages. Three generations of our family all enjoyed it immensely.

edited September 2021
    The Internship

Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan are two out of work salesmen who blag their way into a Google internship for the summer.  They’re teamed with a group of other misfits on the Intern program and pitched against other teams to fight it out for jobs at the end of the summer. 

The young kids on their team at first aren’t impressed at being lumbered with a couple of older guys who clearly know nothing about technology and are obviously damaging their chances of success and a job. 

Daft underdog comedy that ends up being pretty good.  I wanted to not like it but ended up really enjoying it. 

There are no belly laugh moments but it still manages to be quite funny. There are no surprises in the story but it’s still engaging enough to make you stick with it. 

7.5/10 on Prime

• Cosmic Sin 
    Amazing, utterly life changing, genre defining, boundary pushing, thought provoking, ball scratching, arse sniffing bollocks. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom