What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• LogieLogie Frets: 445
    Kate on Netflix. Very John Wick, very enjoyable brain switcheroffer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24671
    A Quiet Place part 2.

The same film as the first one but with a different bloke in the supporting role as John Krasinski got eaten in that.  Overall, Meh out of Ten.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    Lol. I just watched “They Live”. OMG, films have come on a long way since the 80s. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15852
    Chaos Walking. I'm really not sure about this, I think it tried to do to much, and ended up doing none of it well. It was well acted, looked fantastic and had an interesting premise, but overall I just wasn't hooked, even though I stayed to the end.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5786
    Starsky and Hutch

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson revisit the 70s in a comedy remake of the popular cop show.

A decent brain switcher offer for a Sunday night with a ruby and a beer. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Your Name (Netflix), a Japanese anime, based on a boy-girl body-swap romance, with some excellent twists and turns. Beautifully drawn, with many truly gorgeous scenes, many meticulously drawn from real locations in Tokyo. Definite film worth another watch. In particular, there's a thing the director does with sliding doors (maybe a nod to the movie?) that is curiously addictive. 9/10

And I will definitely nerd out and visit some of the locations when we next travel to Japan.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    viz said:
    Lol. I just watched “They Live”. OMG, films have come on a long way since the 80s. 
    It wasn't one of Carpenter's best by a very long way, but Roddy Piper was a hoot.  I still have a soft spot for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Chaos Walking - a novel idea and not badly done. 
  • The Night House. Woman discovers her deceased husband has been keeping a secret.

Very good film IMO, very eerie and creepy all throughout. Excellent acting from the lead.
  • The Night House. Woman discovers her deceased husband has been keeping a secret.

Very good film IMO, very eerie and creepy all throughout. Excellent acting from the lead.
    Going to cinema to see it this weekend so hopefully it'll be better than my last experience ("Old" by M.Night Shyamalan)
  • I saw that, it was shocking haha.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1605
    edited September 2021
    Cemetery Junction - 2010

Ricky Gervais' story of growing up in a downtrodden part of Reading in the seventies.

It is surprisingly good. Great attention to detail and quite a statement (if not hugely original) about coming of age and breaking away from the monotony. Reminded me a little of "Metroland".

Tom Hughes and Felicity Jones stand out...

Another 7/10
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    Cemetery Junction - 2010

Ricky Gervais' story of growing up in a downtrodden part of Reading in the seventies.

It is surprisingly good. Great attention to detail and quite a statement (if not hugely original) about coming of age and breaking away from the monotony. Reminded me a little of "Metroland".

Another 7/10
    I'm afraid I wouldn't get past the fact that Mr Gervais is in it and wrote it.  Every time I see his face on the box I want to punch it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    Kate Netflix

Female assassin does one last job, then wants out, in the process is poisoned with Polonium (?) and has 24 hours to live, in which she must find who she thinks poisoned her and set her up (its glaringly obvious, except to our heroine)
    Utterly predictable, but a fine romp, set in Tokyo, with Japanese rock for background music, fabulously choreographed fight scenes. At times almost like a video game.
     Same old story, done many times….

Utter tosh, but thoroughly enjoyed it
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Offset said:
    viz said:
    It wasn't one of Carpenter's best by a very long way, but Roddy Piper was a hoot.  I still have a soft spot for it.
    I love that film , you can only see the aliens with the special sunglasses , total classic 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    paulnb57 said:
    Kate Netflix

Female assassin does one last job, then wants out, in the process is poisoned with Polonium (?) and has 24 hours to live, in which she must find who she thinks poisoned her and set her up (its glaringly obvious, except to our heroine)
    Utterly predictable, but a fine romp, set in Tokyo, with Japanese rock for background music, fabulously choreographed fight scenes. At times almost like a video game.

I tried, but when the first car chase turned into a PlayStation game it was time to go. That, plus Woody phoning it in, instead of bothering with acting.

Next!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    goldtop said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Kate Netflix

I tried, but when the first car chase turned into a PlayStation game it was time to go. That, plus Woody phoning it in, instead of bothering with acting.

Next!
    I know! But really enjoyed it, its utter pap, but it entertained us when there was nothing else on the tellybox
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2243
    Watch Bladerunner 2  the other day. Absolutely loved it. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7723
    Chaos Walking on Amazon Prime - an interesting sci-fi idea that really failed to deliver - despite Tom Holland, Daisy Ridley and the dude who played Hannibal in the tv series 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Offset said:
    Cemetery Junction - 2010

Another 7/10
    I'm afraid I wouldn't get past the fact that Mr Gervais is in it and wrote it.  Every time I see his face on the box I want to punch it.
    Definitely not for you - unless you are looking for an excuse to get a new TV !!!