What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• fobfob Frets: 1431
    Law Abiding Citizen.

Gerard Butler plays an everyman whose life is blighted by having his young family murdered and a wandering accent. Jamie Foxx unwittingly becomes his enemy, presumably because he's now the front-runner for the actor-in-this-film-who can't-actually-act award.

Plot holes everywhere, gratuitous violence, 'twists' you can see coming a mile off.

Loved it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4153
    ‘74.

Second watch. I like it’s ‘budgety’ grittiness. I’ve also developed more of an understanding to my Irish catholic roots (as a staunch UK military vet) in my latter years so it’s right up my street.

8/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12859
    The Matrix. 

The trailer for number 4 prompted me to persuade miss Munckee, who has just started a level film studies to watch the first so we could be ready for number 4. 

Forgot what a great film it is in its ow. Right. 

Erm right pet now about 2 and 3!!
  • edited September 2021
    Watched The Wrestler for the 5th or so time. Partner had not seen it.
    It's about a (fictional) legendary 80s wrestler who is well past it but still trying hang onto his former life. I think it's a real tear jerking drama, superbly acted by Rourke. Missus has a heart of stone and didn't think much of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Bad Times At The El Royale.

Wow!
    Best, most original film I've seen in ages.
    Words can't do it justice. Just watch it.
    Makes other films pale into insignificance.

I have that saved somewhere. Jeff Bridges? I'll definitely be watching that soon...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 250
    Jfingers said:
    Sassafras said:
    Bad Times At The El Royale.

Wow!
    Best, most original film I've seen in ages.
    Words can't do it justice. Just watch it.
    Makes other films pale into insignificance.

I have that saved somewhere. Jeff Bridges? I'll definitely be watching that soon...
    Highly recommended, very good
  • Dr Who and the Daleks (1965)

[ possibly not given full attention] 

I remember more about Dalek’s Invasion Earth 2150AD for some reason. I also thought these films were in black and white but that seems to be just from watching them that way as a child. They were early technicolour. 

It’s of it’s period. Apparently daleks had lava lamps. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    edited September 2021 tFB Trader
    Incredibly, Technicolor was fifty years old in 1965!
  • Incredibly, Technicolor was fifty years old in 1965!
    Just re-reading the wiki entry it was the first Dr Who story to be filmed in colour and was in technicolour so i conflated the two. 
    It’s still black and white in my mind anyway. 
  • Hottubes said:
    Currently watching Expatriate starring Aaron eackhart free on youtube.

CIA Operative goes to work one day, and the office where he works is void.

Pretty good so far.

Thanks for the tip on this @Hottubes ; - it was decent. If you haven't seen it, you might enjoy The`Numbers Station (2013) with John Cusack. It's an odd little thriller but worth a watch.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    Incredibly, Technicolor was fifty years old in 1965!
    Just re-reading the wiki entry it was the first Dr Who story to be filmed in colour and was in technicolour so i conflated the two. 
    It’s still black and white in my mind anyway. 
    When I was little, everything was in black and white. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16469
    Zombieland - Double Tap. A worthy sequel to Zombieland, but not nearly as good. Worth watching if you enjoyed the 1st one, but it did have more than a tad of "we're doing this for the money" vibe about it.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Hottubes said:
    Currently watching Expatriate starring Aaron eackhart free on youtube.

CIA Operative goes to work one day, and the office where he works is void.

Pretty good so far.

Thanks for the tip on this @Hottubes ; - it was decent. If you haven't seen it, you might enjoy The`Numbers Station (2013) with John Cusack. It's an odd little thriller but worth a watch.
    Cheers i'll check that one out. @Moominpapa
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Dr Who and the Daleks (1965)

I remember more about Dalek’s Invasion Earth 2150AD for some reason. I also thought these films were in black and white but that seems to be just from watching them that way as a child. They were early technicolour. 

I always get this one mixed up with the Bernard Cribbins one. Wiki says yours had Roy Castle in it? I do wonder about the choice of actors… from memory Peter Cushing made a decent Doctor but Cribbins and Castle seem very odd choices as heroes. Presumably they were cheap to hire or seen as child friendly somehow? Can’t remember much about either of the films now although I would’ve seen them at the cinema when they came out (can the Daleks hover in this one? Have vague memories of that). I should watch them again. 

Anyway, as a side note I heard Bernard Cribbins on the radio the other day (doing a fluff piece about his friendship with Dora Bryan). Surprisingly he’s a right old theatrical luvvy. I always had him pegged as a very down to earth northern bloke. 
  • boogieman said:
    Dr Who and the Daleks (1965)

I always get this one mixed up with the Bernard Cribbins one. Wiki says yours had Roy Castle in it? I do wonder about the choice of actors… from memory Peter Cushing made a decent Doctor but Cribbins and Castle seem very odd choices as heroes. Presumably they were cheap to hire or seen as child friendly somehow? Can’t remember much about either of the films now although I would’ve seen them at the cinema when they came out (can the Daleks hover in this one? Have vague memories of that). I should watch them again. 

Anyway, as a side note I heard Bernard Cribbins on the radio the other day (doing a fluff piece about his friendship with Dora Bryan). Surprisingly he’s a right old theatrical luvvy. I always had him pegged as a very down to earth northern bloke. 
    Yes I thought it had Cribbins in it but that's the sequel, the 2150AD one. Dr Who ( not The Doctor) is a brilliant old man rather than an alien at this point and Cushing hams it up as an old man with a creaking back,etc. Roy Castle was a very handsome young man but he never became the leading man that may have been expected.
    No hovering Daleks, Dr Who and his companions realise that they are basically dodgems and can be completely disabled by pushing them onto an old rug. I think the film is basically an analogy of the Nazis and that you should always stand up and fight; Dr Who pushing the peace loving aliens he encounters into starting a war. Probably not the message Dr Who conveys these days. 
  • "Malignant" (2021).

Horror film by James Wan.

Spooky story of Maddison having gruesome visions of killings which turn out not to be just visions after all. 

There's a certain '80s horror film vibe to it and I liked it! Made a nice change from all the recent "Conjuring" etc type films. 
    Camera work and music is pretty good - acting - as usual in film like this - leaves a lot to be desired. 

Overall strong 6/10. But for fans.
  • I don’t watch films very often nowadays ,but I may have a treat today and watch “Big Stan” 
      I think the actor is Rob Schneider  a small man , who is facing prison, he gets Kung fu master David carradine to teach him how to defend himself and the result looks to be hilarious 
  • I watched a short horror on the “Alter Channel” on YouTube called Milk Teeth ,that was quite good 
  • Steel Rain (2017) Yet another outstanding action thriller from South Korea.  Excellent performances from the two main leads, Jung Woo-sung as a North Korean special forces soldier being used as a pawn in a coup plot and Kwak do-Won as a South Korean political functionary who befriends him. If you are into political/espionage/military action films this will be right up your street.
  • This one looks good 13 conspiracy.