What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6228
    edited September 2021
    Cruella on Disney +.

Way better  than I thought it might be. Very entertaining with the two Emmas, Stone and Thompson in wicked form, thoroughly enjoying themselve in this comedy about the birth of the infamous 101 Dalmatians villain.
    Very funny with some great set pieces. Highly recommended. 

8/10
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6307
    Man on Fire (Netflix). Washed-up-bodyguard-becomes-hero formula movie, made especially annoying by bizarre cinematography decisions: glitchiness plus a sort-of-70s' grainy film look. 2/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12497
    Bad Times At The El Royale.  We decided to watch this based on some positive reviews on here.  Absolutely brilliant.  Jeff Bridges gives a tour de force performance as the main protagonist, but this film has a stellar cast with great performances all round.  Brit Cynthia Arivo in particular is fantastic and possesses a wonderful voice.  There are no huge surprises in the plot but that doesn't detract from the film, which keeps your attention fully occupied throughout.  There are overtones of The Coen Brothers here (which is a good thing) and the whole package is thoroughly enjoyable.  Best film I've seen since No Country For Old Men, and that's going some. 9/10.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16273
    The Notebook

Just a very lovely film.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7704
    equalsql said:
    Cruella on Disney +.

Way better  than I thought it might be. Very entertaining with the two Emmas, Stone and Thompson in wicked form, thoroughly enjoying themselve in this comedy about the birth of the infamous 101 Dalmatians villain.
    Very funny with some great set pieces. Highly recommended. 

8/10
    that is SO good - she is brilliant and the whole production style is fantastic 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7704
    Offset said:
    Bad Times At The El Royale.  We decided to watch this based on some positive reviews on here.  Absolutely brilliant.  Jeff Bridges gives a tour de force performance as the main protagonist, but this film has a stellar cast with great performances all round.  Brit Cynthia Arivo in particular is fantastic and possesses a wonderful voice.  There are no huge surprises in the plot but that doesn't detract from the film, which keeps your attention fully occupied throughout.  There are overtones of The Coen Brothers here (which is a good thing) and the whole package is thoroughly enjoyable.  Best film I've seen since No Country For Old Men, and that's going some. 9/10.
    Bar Times …. is ace. Agree re Coen vibe - but I also got whiffs of Tarantino and (dare I say) Hitchcock 
    Red ones are better. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12497
    Ocean's 13 (2007).  Ensemble cast (Clooney, Damon, Pitt, Pacino, Cheadle etc), Soderbergh at the helm, fast-paced and very watchable.  Sheer hokum of course, but thoroughly enjoyable hokum and a rollicking mixture of action, comedy and drama.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.  8/10.
  • The Vanishing 

Film 4

Small cast, low budget thriller set on a Scottish isle with three lighthouse keepers. 

Lighthouses were amazing bits of engineering/ architecture. When I was in Australia I went to Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse which was built in 1895 and the huge glass lenses had been brought all the way from Stourbridge. 

I didn’t find the film completely engaging to be honest but atmospheric and tense certainly. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The Clearing , zombie film , man is trapped in camper van  , this has the super fast moving zombies in it that can really shift 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7709
    edited September 2021
    40 Shades of Grey.  Badly acted, utterly boring, and hardly even sexy, much to the disappointment of my lady friend who obviously thought it would make me rampant.  I fell asleep half way through it, woke up alone on the couch, and had to sneak into the bedroom and apologise.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If anyone hasn't seen St. Maud, then I can highly recommend it. Very well done British Film.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Ode to Joy

I had high hopes for Martin Freeman’s US work after his excellent performance in ‘Start Up’ (two seasons available on Netflix - well worth watching).

But Ode to Joy is romcom drivel. Don’t bother !

2/10
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4375
    edited September 2021
    My Octopus Teacher. 

Really enjoyed it. Great camera work and developed a new found admiration for our 8 armed friends. 

9/10

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50 said:
    My Octopus Teacher. 

Really enjoyed it. Great camera work and developed a new found admiration for our 8 tentacled friends. 

9/10
    I've found that relationship but creepy at some point, but amazing watch nevertheless...
    And agreed - I think it was very educational and showed octopodes in new, interesting light.
  • CHRISB50 said:
    My Octopus Teacher. 

Really enjoyed it. Great camera work and developed a new found admiration for our 8 tentacled friends. 

9/10
    I've found that relationship but creepy at some point, but amazing watch nevertheless...
    And agreed - I think it was very educational and showed octopodes in new, interesting light.
    Likewise - I was slightly at odds during the first half hour, and almost tearful by the end !
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7213
    CHRISB50 said:
    My Octopus Teacher. 

9/10
    Octopuses have arms, not tentacles. But yeah, it's a great watch.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Anon…  interesting Sci-Fi..  7/10 
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    Safety Not Guaranteed

Cynical city media types go to small town to do a story on a nut job but find themselves drawn into a new perspective in the process.

A really lovely, slow-paced film that was perfect for a Sunday evening. If you haven't seen it it is definitely worth a viewing.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23563
    BillDL said:
    40 Shades of Grey.  Badly acted, utterly boring, and hardly even sexy, much to the disappointment of my lady friend who obviously thought it would make me rampant.  I fell asleep half way through it, woke up alone on the couch, and had to sneak into the bedroom and apologise.
    Is that a prequel to Fifty Shades of Grey, or was it this?

Forty Shades of Grey (2012) - IMDb
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4375
    tony99 said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    My Octopus Teacher. 

9/10
    Octopuses have arms, not tentacles. But yeah, it's a great watch.
    You can tell I learned a lot from it! 

Corrected. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to