What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12506
    The Day After Tomorrow. Old-ish climate change disaster movie with Dennis Quaid braving a massive super storm that’s hit New York to rescue his son. Ropey acting, very ropey CGI, decidedly ropey script. My wife wanted to watch something brainless. This was the perfect film. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 445
    Gemini Man - Another popcorn movie but watchable. The CGI is pretty shit but 3 out of 5.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7116
    tFB Trader
    boogieman said:
    The Day After Tomorrow. Old-ish climate change disaster movie with Dennis Quaid braving a massive super storm that’s hit New York to rescue his son. Ropey acting, very ropey CGI, decidedly ropey script. My wife wanted to watch something brainless. This was the perfect film. 
    Apart from the ropey acting, very ropey CGI, decidedly ropey script the "science" was complete rubbish too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I bought the box set of the original Planet of the apes films (5 of them), years ago and still hadn't seen most of them. I watched the first around Xmas, a pretty good film still, the apes looked cool. 

Anyway, finally watched the second film. In some ways it is rather naff, but it has that wonderful 70 vibe that I love with sci-fi, so it was an enjoyable romp, although not a film I will watch again for many years I imagine.
  • tony99 said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    My Octopus Teacher. 

Really enjoyed it. Great camera work and developed a new found admiration for our 8 tentacled friends. 

9/10
    Octopuses have arms, not tentacles. But yeah, it's a great watch.
    I believe that the "arms" are actually an evolved version of the foot of a snail or slug, the bit that contacts the floor when the slimy bastards crawl all over the kitchen at night.
  • tony99 said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    My Octopus Teacher. 

Really enjoyed it. Great camera work and developed a new found admiration for our 8 tentacled friends. 

9/10
    Octopuses have arms, not tentacles. But yeah, it's a great watch.
    I believe that the "arms" are actually an evolved version of the foot of a snail or slug, the bit that contacts the floor when the slimy bastards crawl all over the kitchen at night.
    Nothing worse than going into the kitchen in the middle of the night for a glass of water and finding an octopus working their way across the granite worktop. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    Rita, Sue and Bob too, The Grapes of Wrath, 12 Angry Men, The Magnificent Seven, Dad's Army, the Jeepers Creepers 2 and 3..oh and Flight of the Phoenix (the James Stewart one) :) 
  • Mellish said:
    Rita, Sue and Bob too
    I didn't watch that film for years after I heard about it, and for some reason I thought it was a sequel, Rita, Sue and Bob Two. It was on TV one day and I noticed the spelling, and watched it. I felt like an idiot, I'm just glad I never had a conversation with anyone about how I'd not watched it as I'd never seen the first one...

I knew of George Costigan from So Haunt Me, and Michelle Holmes from Goodnight Sweetheart, both of which were light hearted sitcoms, so Rita Sue and Bob Too was a bit of a different style!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23560
    Mellish said:
    Rita, Sue and Bob too
    I didn't watch that film for years after I heard about it, and for some reason I thought it was a sequel, Rita, Sue and Bob Two. It was on TV one day and I noticed the spelling, and watched it. I felt like an idiot, I'm just glad I never had a conversation with anyone about how I'd not watched it as I'd never seen the first one...

I knew of George Costigan from So Haunt Me, and Michelle Holmes from Goodnight Sweetheart, both of which were light hearted sitcoms, so Rita Sue and Bob Too was a bit of a different style!
    I remember one of the Sunday papers did a feature about it under the headline "Rita, Sue and Bonk too".  I've never actually seen it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12506
    Mellish said:
    Rita, Sue and Bob too, The Grapes of Wrath, 12 Angry Men, The Magnificent Seven, Dad's Army, the Jeepers Creepers 2 and 3..oh and Flight of the Phoenix (the James Stewart one) :) 
    Flight of the Phoenix (the original one) is a brilliant film. Up there with Ice Cold in Alex as one of my favourite films. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    boogieman said:
    Mellish said:
    Flight of the Phoenix (the original one) is a brilliant film. Up there with Ice Cold in Alex as one of my favourite films. 
    I don't really like war films, but Ice cold in Alex is a cracker! Saw it again about 6 months ago. So good.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @Mattharrier. Rita, Sue and Bob too (that's the film title) was released in 1987, a black comedy about life in Bradford. Total nonsense but I found myself watching. And to those commenting on Flight of the Phoenix, absolutely agree - a classic :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    The River Runner

Documentary about extreme white-water kayaker Scott Lindgren. It's as much about his personal struggles with mental and physical health as about the sport, and if anything those are the more powerful parts - the river sequences are impressive, but so far removed from anything a normal person would undertake that they're almost hard to take in. Some stunning photography and a surprising trip down memory lane if you remember how sports like that seemed to really take off in the early 90s, even if they weren't your thing personally... seems a long time ago now.

7/10

(Netflix)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• yockyyocky Frets: 815
    CHRISB50 said:
    My Octopus Teacher. 

Really enjoyed it. Great camera work and developed a new found admiration for our 8 armed friends. 

9/10
    Would a score of 7/8 for this film count as a spoiler? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Pembrokeshire Murders…. Random find on Britbox,  3x45min

A totally solid police docudrama. Well acted and paced. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5775
    Rush Hour

Not as good as I remembered it.

The out-takes were far funnier than the film.  

The film is predictable and just an excuse for Chris Tucker to shout and over-act a lot.

Chan's fight sequences are well choreographed though, and interlaced with a bit of humour.

6/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Shang Chi  - 7/10

aka "holy shit we're actually in a cinema again!"

Good fun, solid action, good casting and script. Standard Marvel so many will hate it like they've hated all the others, but at this point that's like a warm hug, so it's all good. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10533
    The many saints of Newark 

As a mega Sopranos fan I was looking forward to this and I’m glad I’ve seen it but it’s not a great film. If you know the history of the characters then it’s interesting but needed a more cohesive storyline rather than being totally character driven.
    Anyone not very familiar with Soprano history will probably not like it at all . 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Was self-isolating with Covid, so managed to get around to watching some films I’ve been meaning to watch for ages.

The Martian - 8/10
    Was planning on listening to the audiobook, but thought I would try the film as it was available on Netflix. Thought it was really well done & Matt Damon was great in the lead role. Will probably give the book, or one of the authors others a try.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon -  9/10
    Had this on DVD, but stopped watching it after 5mins as the overdubbing was awful. Really enjoyed seeing it on Netflix with just the subtitles. Some excellent fight scenes, backdrops & performances. Has since made me look to see what other martial arts films on Netflix/Amazon Prime are available. Unfortunately no Enter The Dragon atm.

The Wolf of Wall Street - 8/10
    DiCaprio & the whole cast is brilliant in this & they cram in a hell of a lot into the 3 hour runtime. I actually watched it in 3 parts due to the length, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Friend told me afterwards that the real Jordan Belfort has a cameo right at the end. The Lamborghini country club scene was a stand out for me.

Kill Bill - 7/10
    Saw this years ago, but wanted to see another martial arts film after enjoying Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon so much. Especially enjoyed the RZA’s soundtrack on this. Still need to see Part 2, which I have never watched, although not available atm on Netflix/Amazon Prime.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Danny1969 said:
    The many saints of Newark 

As a mega Sopranos fan I was looking forward to this and I’m glad I’ve seen it but it’s not a great film. If you know the history of the characters then it’s interesting but needed a more cohesive storyline rather than being totally character driven.
    Anyone not very familiar with Soprano history will probably not like it at all . 
    The Guardian gave it 3/5 
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/sep/25/the-many-saints-of-newark-review-sopranos-prequel-michael-gandolfini-alessandro-nivola

I’m a Goodfellas fan (read the book & got the cookbook!) but from seeing the trailer it didn’t really grab me. I can see it being a bit of a lazy cash-in on the original.