What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Continuing my wife's post apocalyptic list:

I am Legend - seen it before and enjoyed it... enjoyed it again this time, although some of the CGI is pretty dodgy - the invasion of his lab at the end in particular looks like footage from a game, rather than a film. It was bleaker than I remembered - obviously there's not much that could be bleaker than being the last man alive (or close to), but the quietness (both in terms of dialogue etc. and the minimal score) were more unsettling than I remembered. i found it quite a lot more upsetting than the last time I saw it too; probably because I didn't have a stepdaughter or a dog back then. All in all though it's pretty solid and I think it's much better thac the trashing it got when it was released would lead you to believe. 7.5/10 for the proper ending (where he gives the girl back), and 7/10 for the dumbed down explodey ending.

Stake Land - the apocalypse in this one was some sort of vampire infestation. Was more or less a road movie. No-one in it I recognised, I'm not sure if it was an independent release... anyway, it was pretty good. A bit slow at times, and nothing particularly groundbreaking in the way of storyline, but it was all nicely done and kept us both watching until the end. 6.5/10.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16086
    edited February 2022
    The Lighthouse

I am loathe tae call this a horror movie, but still, it's one of the most disturbing pics I have seen in a long while

From the makers of The Witch it's not for everyone but I couldn't put it down....addictive

The two actors give a masterclass powerhouse performance. Depressing too in an Eraserhead kinda way

Give it a go folks
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    A Walk in the Woods 2015

Robert Redford's biographical film of Bill Bryson and Stephen Katz's attempt at the Appalachian Trail.

8/10 I really enjoyed it, funny and simple film.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1976
    @skullfunkerry ; have you not seen the Omega Man?
  • Brio said:
    I haven't, actually. I am Legend is based on it, isn't it?

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23789
    Brio said:
    I haven't, actually. I am Legend is based on it, isn't it?
    They're both based on the book I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1006
    And dont forget vincent price in the last man on earth .... ;)
  • …and Treehouse of Horrror VIII: the Homega Man. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    The Lost Daughter

Psychological/emotional drama with Olivia Colman, written and directed by Maggie Gyllenhaal (her debut for both).

Wow. This is one of the most unsettling, powerful films I’ve seen in ages. Colman is absolutely mesmerising as an awkward middle-aged woman with past issues which slowly come to light, Jessie Buckley almost as good as her younger self, and the supporting cast are near-perfect as well. The plot is almost painfully convincing, and the camera work, music and lighting are quite brilliant. If this is going to be typical of Gyllenhaal’s work she is going to be very highly regarded.

9/10

(Netflix)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12558
    Night Hunter (2018) Thriller in which a troubled cop (Henry Cavill) seeks a perp responsible for the abduction and incarceration of young women.  He has to deal with the unwelcome input of a vengeful vigilante (Ben Kingsley) and his young sidekick.  Brendan Fletcher is the key suspect (I'll say no more) and puts in a fantastic performance.

However:  I guessed the 'twist' around the half-way point, which did detract from the remainder of the film to some extent.  That said, it's not a bad way to fill a spare 90 minutes and we both enjoyed it.  Don't let the slightly shitty reviews put you off - it's better than they'd suggest.   6/10.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12534
    Babylon - fantastic British movie about a young Rasta musician played by Aswads Brinsley Forde and his friends trying to get by in late 70s London, great performances and great music, really gritty and captures a time and place in a pre gentrification city perfectly. The politics still ring true today, the patois may be a little impenetrable for some, the US release had subtitles apparently so probably made buttons over there.

It's the real deal, watch it on Netflix.
    Great film and a really good soundtrack, Trevor Laird was in it , he was also in Quadrophenia 

Must get round to watching it. Brinsley was in my class at junior school. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6188
    ICBM said:
    The Lost Daughter
    If this is going to be typical of Gyllenhaal’s work she is going to be very highly regarded.
    She finally moved on from the Yarn Barn.
  • I watched The Matrix Resurrections last night. Loved it... I don't really know what to say here without giving too much away, but it was clever, it had loads of nice callbacks to the original films, and the plot, although fairly light, wasn't totally ridiculous. If you liked the first three, you'll probably like this. Solid 8.5/10 for me.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12558
    The Killing Of A Sacred Deer (2017)  I didn't get past the first 20 or so minutes of this.  The deliberately stilted and stylised dialogue was insufferable and deeply grating.  It had a great cast too, but I just couldn't stand any more of it.  Mrs O watched it through to the end, and the denouement was pretty much as I guessed it would be so I saved myself 90 minutes of pain and tooth-grinding.  Deeply unwatchable.  1/10, and the 1 is for Colin Farrell's impressive beard.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23789
    Offset said:
    The Killing Of A Sacred Deer (2017)  I didn't get past the first 20 or so minutes of this.  The deliberately stilted and stylised dialogue was insufferable and deeply grating.  It had a great cast too, but I just couldn't stand any more of it.  Mrs O watched it through to the end, and the denouement was pretty much as I guessed it would be so I saved myself 90 minutes of pain and tooth-grinding.  Deeply unwatchable.  1/10, and the 1 is for Colin Farrell's impressive beard.
    I saw it at the London Film Festival when it came out.  I don't think I particularly liked it, but I was fascinated by the sheer strangeness of it and the weirdly off-kilter, stilted performances, which some reviewers didn't even seem to mention.  Incidentally, the Irish kid (Barry Keoghan?) is in Eternals.
  • MPHMPH Frets: 56
    'The Tender Bar' - an ok film, made more enjoyable by the soundtrack. - 6.5

'Shershaah' - Indian Kargil war film - 7.5

'The Father' - Moving film about dementia - 7

'Dark Encounter' - Alien abduction story which takes an even darker turn - 5

'Forget Everything and Run' - Suspenseful, but disappointing virus / dystopia movie - 4.5

'The 5th Wave' - Sci-Fi movie - 5

'Copshop' - Action movie - 5.5

'The Birdcatcher' - Norwegian WWII film - 7

'Alpha' - Prehistorical adventure about the domestication of the Wolf - 5.5

Re-watched films

'Sunshine' - 6
    'Platoon' - 7.5
    'Rain Man' - 8
    'The Hateful Eight' - Third time watching, and still don't like it - 5
    'The Life of PI' - 7
    'Unbreakable' - 6.5
    'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' - 6.5
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7440
    Pumping Iron. Fascinating.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    The Hunt

Quite a cracking film, enjoyed it from start to finish and the main lead in it is rather nice too.

8/10
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    Red Joan

Judy Dench in a drama about an old lady who is discovered to have been a Russian spy during the early Cold War.

Dench is OK but not outstanding by her standards, and the rest is competent but pretty formulaic and a bit dull.

6/10

(iPlayer)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12534
    American Gangster. Denzel Washington ups his game and does a decent acting job as a big time drug importer in 70s New York. Russell Crowe is the cop determined to bust up the organisation. Loads of supporting actors that you’d recognise including Idris Elba, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Daryl from Walking Dead. A pretty decent film.