What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    Hot Tub Timemachine. I think I'd over hyped this in my mind, the concept and the "science" were really well done, I think it was let down by poor character development and a bit of a deus ex machina kind of ending. Good, but probably only 6/10 for me.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23720
    Philly_Q said:
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)

Most of them are rubbish but none of them are as bad as this.
    Thanks for that Philli Q, I nearly watched that yesterday, you’ve saved me from wasting my time 
    If you change your mind again, its only 80 minutes and you only need to concentrate with about 1% of your brain. :)
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12525
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

Thanks for that Philli Q, I nearly watched that yesterday, you’ve saved me from wasting my time 
    If you change your mind again, its only 80 minutes and you only need to concentrate with about 1% of your brain. :)
    I have a couple of hours to kill before the pub Philly so based on your recommendation, I'm going to give it a go.  It can't be THAT bad...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

If you change your mind again, its only 80 minutes and you only need to concentrate with about 1% of your brain.
    Thanks, I’m used to concentrating with 1% of my brain normally  =)
    Riddim up
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1608
    edited February 2022
    The Professor - 2018

A slightly odd film starring Johnny Depp (what’s new !!). Starts off with our University Professor hero being told he is dying from cancer.

A comedic set ensues as JD decides to take on his failing marriage and mundane lectures with anarchistic gusto.

Turns into a sadder and more poignant film than anticipated, albeit I found the ending slightly odd - there, I have said it twice, which sums things up quite well.

5/10

Edit - forgot to mention the film features a very cute dog
    The Hunt (2020) 

As this began I was expecting yet another variant on The Most Dangerous Game, with some Hostel-style mean-spirited humour, but it throws in quite a few surprises.  There's also a fair bit of satire, poking fun at gun nuts, conspiracy theorists, wokerati and cancel culture in - it seemed to me - pretty much equal measure.

Apparently the film's release was delayed a number of times due to news events (mass shootings) and political controversy (it seems to have upset both conservatives and liberals, most of who probably hadn't seen it).  I didn't know anything about that before I watched it, and putting those issues aside it's a very entertaining action-comedy-horror.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    The King's Man.

Prequel to Kingsmen.

Far better than No2, not a patch on the first one. Good cast, but lacked the expected humour.

6.5/10.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited February 2022
    The Professor - 2018

A slightly odd film starring Johnny Depp (what’s new !!). Starts off with our University Professor hero being told he is dying from cancer.

A comedic set ensues as JD decides to take on his failing marriage and mundane lectures with anarchistic gusto.

Turns into a sadder and more poignant film than anticipated, albeit I found the ending slightly odd - there, I have said it twice, which sums things up quite well.

5/10

I watched that not long ago. I actually thought it was an older one and JD must have been done up to look older.
    Imo It wasn't terrible but a bit all over the place. The basic idea was there but after that it didn't really know where it was going and by the end just lost it.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    watched "The Kings Man"  yesterday  and Free Guy today,   both good "entertainment" 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • The Professor - 2018

5/10

I watched that not long ago. I actually thought it was an older one and JD must have been done up to look older.
    Imo It wasn't terrible but a bit all over the place. The basic idea was there but after that it didn't really know where it was going and by the end just lost it.
    Yes, sounds similar to our experience - we quite enjoyed the film, albeit it seemed a bit confused.
    Fistful of Vengeance

Supernatural action thriller with Indonesian martial arts star Iko Uwais.  After two minutes I was thinking "I don't think I can watch this shit", and after ten minutes I was sure I couldn't, so instead I watched....

The Trip

Unhappily married couple Lars and Lisa go to spend a weekend at their remote lakeside cabin, but find the house is occupied by three escaped convicts...  This Norwegian comedy-horror-thriller doesn't quite get the tone right - for quite a long stretch the humour takes a back seat and the film becomes uncomfortably dark.  But the cast is good - Noomi Rapace and Aksel Hennie - and overall I quite enjoyed it.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5799
    A Time To Kill

Mid 90s legal thriller based on a John Grisham novel and with an A-list cast.

Based in Mississippi (presumably in the early/mid 90s), Samuel L Jackson plays the part of a father who guns down the racist rednecks who kidnapped and raped his 10 year old daughter.  Banged to rights he employs struggling lawyer Matthew McConaughey to defend him from a capital murder charge.

Throw in Kevin Spacey, Sandra Bullock, Oliver Platt, both Kiefer and Donald Sutherland, along with a few other household names and you have a worthy cast.

The film cleverly balances the drama inside the courtroom with events happening in the community affected.  I find a lot of legal dramas can drag and they become padded out with superfluous nonsense for the sake of a decent runtime.  This film runs to about two and half hours and it never once seemed to be dreary.

Considering its era the film has aged incredibly well.  Some of the fashion is very much of its time and is unavoidable but apart from that it could have been made in the last few years.

Performances from all the cast were top notch and perfectly balanced - no one over-did their part and given the emotive subject of the film it would have been an easy thing to get carried away.

8.5/10 Netflix

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1349
    Annihilation.
    Watched this a few years back and remembered very little except that it featured Natalie Portman and Helplessly Hoping.

The climax was not as weird as I had recalled.  It also made a bit less sense than I remember, but it's a good journey to get there, although I also think that a military approach would have been much stronger, as might a seaborne assault of the lighthouse.

6/10
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1557
    Moonfall.

We took our two boys to see this on friday. It is a film about Earth's destruction courtesy of the Moon, erm, falling by way of plot contrivance.
    I say plot, but this is an Emmerich film. Once you skip the 'this makes no sense and the actors arent great', then it is a perfectly enjoyable slice of brain popcorn. Utterly bonkers. Ridiculous story. Yet still entertaining.

A solid 7/10.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12525
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

I have a couple of hours to kill before the pub Philly so based on your recommendation, I'm going to give it a go.  It can't be THAT bad...

Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

If you change your mind again, its only 80 minutes and you only need to concentrate with about 1% of your brain.
    OK.  It was bad, but hand on heart I've seen worse.  I'll be generous and give it 2/10 because at least it wasn't boring (but probably not in a good way!)
    Offset said:
    OK.  It was bad, but hand on heart I've seen worse.  I'll be generous and give it 2/10 because at least it wasn't boring (but probably not in a good way!)
    OK, I'll give it 1/10 because it was less than 90 minutes long.  I can't think of any other redeeming features. 
    I've seen the girl playing the older sister in two other films, I think, but I couldn't find them on IMDB.
  • I watched 13 minutes today on Netflix, I kinda like the tornado type films but  I’d say the title is about right as that’s about how many minutes was worth watching, it gets a 4 / 10 from me 
    Riddim up
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5799
    Downfall: The Case Against Boeing

Netflix documentary on the Boeing 737 Max story. 

Very revealing and incredibly interesting. It paints a picture of a very negligent aircraft manufacturer who were chasing stock value over safety. They also knew about problems with their MCAS system as early as 2013 and not only concealed its existence from pilots and the FAA but knew immediately after the first Jakarta crash that MCAS was the reason for the crash. Boeing then bartered a deal with the FAA not to ground the 737 Max fleet on condition of an imminent fix. 

Well worth watching if this kind of thing interests you. Quite one sided, though. It was very much the case against Boeing and apart from a couple of written snippets from Boeing at the end there was no defence made by anyone fighting their corner. 

Whether this was because there is no justifiable defence or because it’s not agenda the film wishes to pursue is another matter. 

Recommended. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FledermausFledermaus Frets: 180
    edited February 2022
    Just watched Zombeavers on Horror Channel, not a serious film by any means, but hilarious!
    followed by Tremors :-)
  • The Book Thief

If you haven’t read the book, read it.
    Film was very sympathetic to the feel of the book, but even at 2 hours felt a bit rushed and missed out quite a bit of detail. A worthy effort, though, all told.

Prospect

I’m usually the last person to say this but I think this deserved being stretched into a series rather than trying to squeeze it into a stand-aline film.
    Had serious potential but ended up feeling sort of slight.

The Midnight Sky

Didn’t feel very substantial… Acting wasn’t bad, film looked good…just didn’t feel like it had a real sense of jeopardy about it. Not enough suspense or tension.