What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited October 2022
    axisus said:
    Idiocracy (Netflix). Comedy with Luke Wilson. I usually like him so I thought I'd give it a go. Utter garbage. After 20 minutes I had to bail. Maybe it improved but I couldn't face the fact that it might not.

The Royal Tenenbaums. A Wes Anderson film. I'm a big fan of Wes's films, they are character driven oddities. I suppose I think of them as gentle comedies in that you don't laugh out loud, but they give you plenty of wry smiles. Loved it. An all star cast with Gene Hackman on great form. 8/10

Rushmore. Another Wes Anderson film! Once again ticking all the usual 'Wes' boxes. A fascinating vignette of a few intermingled lives. Winner of 16 awards! Bill Murray on great form as is a very young Jason Schwartzman. 8/10

Note: Royal Tenenbaums also won loads of awards - 11 from 46 nominations.

I will be watching the other Wes Anderson films on Disney+ pretty soon!

I can't quite put my finger on what it is I like so much about WA movies. 
    I watched the French dispatch the other night. Not my favourite of his but still rather delightful. 

I watched the karate kid remake with my son recently. Bad! It's not actually about karate and that's not even the worst bit, the only way it works, for me, is as a showpiece for the young Mr Smith, I'm sure that in that respect it worked very well. I mean you can't really go that wrong, it's a good story, my son seemed to like it, but no. The move he does at the end is a bit ridiculous too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Black Adam ,started well - felt almost like Moon Knight for the first 15 mins then unfortunately it settled into 2 hours of non stop action with the most basic of plots . In saying that it wasn’t terrible and there were some laughs and decent CGI.   6.5 out of 10
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    Interstella Almost 3 hours but enjoyable, a few holes in the plot and hard to follow at times, still left me blubbing at then end which was surprising as a lot of the space travel explanations went straight over my head!
    8/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23787
    Black Adam ,started well - felt almost like Moon Knight for the first 15 mins then unfortunately it settled into 2 hours of non stop action with the most basic of plots . In saying that it wasn’t terrible and there were some laughs and decent CGI.   6.5 out of 10
    That's starting well...?
    edited October 2022
    The disaster artist. 

Based on a true story. A guy moves to Holywood to become a film star but as he is a truly terrible actor he can't get any work so decides to make his own movie "the room".
    It's OK but gets much more interesting when you look into the back story.
    The disaster artist. 

Based on a true story. A guy moves to Holywood to become a film star but as he is a truly terrible actor he can't get any work so decides to make his own movie "the room".
    So it's a biopic of Tommy Wiseau?  I feel like I should see The Room itself before watching that.
    edited October 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    The disaster artist. 

So it's a biopic of Tommy Wiseau?  I feel like I should see The Room itself before watching that.

It is that. I don't think you really need to watch the room. I'd never even heard of it but I was curious after seeing this (not planning on watching it but did read the wiki page and other bits). You get a good idea of what it's probably like and you see some original footage.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Black Adam ,started well - felt almost like Moon Knight for the first 15 mins then unfortunately it settled into 2 hours of non stop action with the most basic of plots . In saying that it wasn’t terrible and there were some laughs and decent CGI.   6.5 out of 10
    That's starting well...?
    I absolutely loved Moon Knight !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    That's starting well...?
    I absolutely loved Moon Knight !
    I thought it was awful.  Oscar Isaac did his best to rise above the material, but the entire plot - all that Egyptian mythology bollocks - was absolute shit and the Moon Knight character himself is barely in it.  I watched the whole series but I won't bother if they do another.  I haven't watched all the Marvel series (not sure I'll ever get round to Loki or Ms Marvel), but Moon Knight is very close to being the worst.  Sorry, off topic...
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 889
    On Wednesday (the night before Truss resigned) I felt compelled to watch again Darkest Hour.

Great film and particularly poignant when watched in the current state of the nation.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12621
    Loki is worth watching. 
  • Recently watched 'Pixie' and 'I Came By' on Netflix. Both utter shite. Anyone seen 'Last Night In Soho'? It's been recommended to me.
    Anyone seen 'Last Night In Soho'? It's been recommended to me.
    It's very good.  If you've seen Edgar Wright's other films and enjoyed them, you'll probably like it, although it's got fantasy/thriller/horror elements rather than comedy.
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 887
    'The Banshees of Inisherin - Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleason back together with director Martin McDonagh, who directed them in 'In Bruges'.  Pitch black humour mixed with looming violence. Felt a bit like a play in places rather than a movie but it's beautiful to look at and the two central performances are terrific.

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3759
    edited October 2022
    Uncharted..  Just silly.. but plenty of nods to the games.  Don’t expect much in terms of plot sense and character depth.  Mediocre. 5/10… 7/10 if you are a fan of the games.

Inside Man… Quite the watchable cast. Just falls a bit flat at the end and Denzel’s GF seems a bit vacuous and badly written.  Interesting heist movie variation. Intriguing enough. 7/10.   Not up to its cast.
  • Back to the future. Cinematic perfection. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3759
    edited October 2022
    Flash Gordon ..  the retro models, the inky/paint in water sky fx, the guy from Blue Peter getting killed, the amazing Queen soundtrack… and Brian Blessed….  with WINGS!!!   Blessed indeed!

10/10!   Perfect Sunday morning movie… Flash.. ahh. aahhhhh!
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3727
    Tone71 said:
    Interstella Almost 3 hours but enjoyable, a few holes in the plot and hard to follow at times, still left me blubbing at then end which was surprising as a lot of the space travel explanations went straight over my head!
    8/10
    Was this about space beer? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    X (Amazon Prime)

It's 1979, and a group of filmmakers hire a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, not telling the eccentric elderly owners that they're intending to shoot a dirty movie...

I'm a fan of most of Ti West's earlier films, he's very good at atmosphere, tension and creating a retro feel.  Here we're in Texas Chainsaw Massacre territory, in the setup if not in the plot detail... but I was disappointed.  West obviously thinks he's on to something here, he's already made a prequel and there's a sequel on the way, but I really didn't find the characters very interesting.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410

Out of Blue

2019 Detective movie. BBC iPlayer.

Enigmatic and existential reworking of a Martin Amis novel about the murder of a high-born astrophysicist which bears the hallmarks of serial killer active 20 years ago. An American made movie in fact, but really this is a noir-ish French style contemplation of place in the universe as well as being a murder detective movie.  Black holes, black clothes and black themes.  There are vast numbers of clues planted and visual motifs everywhere blending with a cools core and quietly assured performances.  It’s mysterious, quirky and absorbing. Recommended 8/10