What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3759
    edited October 2022
    1408..  a jump scare rich horror film about a haunted hotel room.

We switched to the Director’s cut version half way through. It has a stronger, more pure narrative ending than the softer commercial release.    Slightly above average horror.   7/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    The Scapegoat 

2012 British film

Adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's 1957 novel stars Matthew Rhys as an out of work teacher who meets his doppelgänger a failing aristocratic businessman in a country hotel. After dining and getting drunk together, the teacher is left alone and begins to take on the troubled life, family and business affairs of his missing double and by doing so begins to find his way and improve both his own and the lives of those around him. Matthew Rhys plays the parts beautifully alongside an excellent ensemble cast of British stalwarts.
    Attractive to look at and enjoyable in a rather old fashioned way.  6/10 

• SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    edited October 2022
    Samaritan, 2022

Sly Stallone plays a super hero who is supposed dead for over 25 years. Set in a dystopian present day city. 13 year old kid befriends him, convinced Sly is the long believed dead Samaritan. Kid is also embroiled in a gang led by Euron Greyjoy (can't remember his actual name), who is obsessed with Samaritan's arch villain enemy, Nemesis.

Very predictable and cheesy, but I loved it. Similar vibe to Karl Urban's Dredd. Ish. Some good fighting scenes and a finale akin to Rambo Last Blood, but without the gore. It's a 12, but it's actually quite violent. Has a good twist in it as well.

7/10 - don't expect an Oscar nominee though.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    Bullet Train

Really enjoyed it - very much a 'Guy Ritchie' style film, based on a book. Amusing characters, some good acting, good action scenes, and a couple of fun cameos. 8/10

Hellraiser (2022)

So while the acting might be better than the original, that's about it. The Cenobytes look crap - they tried far too hard to shock, and they just obviously look like people in flesh suits now. The older film at least had all the leather etc., and the practical effects were much better. 3/10
  • "Halloween Ends" (2022).

The conclusion of the franchise. 
    I don't know how to describe it otherwise than "pretty shite". Perhaps tiny bit better than "Halloween Kills" from couple years ago but still bad. Acting was fine but story was full of plot holes and pure nonsense - not that you'd expect much logic from this type of film, but still - nothing made sense. I don't want to spoil it in case there is anyone interested in watching it. 
    I can give a point for Jamie Lee and another one for Micheal Myers appearing (eventually) on screen. 

Sadly, 2.022/10
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5800
    Not a film, but binge watched the four-part Netflix docuseries Vatican Girl over the weekend.

Covers the mysterious disappearance of Emanuela Orlandi, a 15 year old girl who lived in the Vatican and who was abducted by persons unknown for reasons unknown in the summer 1983.

It's an incredibly interesting watch and interviews several people involved in the case, including a couple who claim to have been involved in the kidnapping.  Unfortunately, it is unable to reach any conclusions, only that of all the several possible motives for her disappearance, they somehow all seem to lead back to the Vatican in some way or another.

Recommended, if you like that sort of thing.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12558
    The Irishman (2019)

For some reason this film slipped under my radar.  Not sure how as I'm a huge Scorsese fan.  I do remember the 'de-aging' process being discussed at the time it was released but that's about it.

Anyhow, I put this right last night.  And I'm glad I did because it's absolutely brilliant.  Where to start - great plot, wonderful acting, stellar cast, direction, pacing... it has it all and we were riveted to the screen.

The 'de-aging' starts off as a mild distraction given we know the respective ages of the main actors, but your disbelief is quickly suspended as the film sweeps you along with it.

10/10
  • The Banshees of Inisherin

10/10 Superb movie on so many levels.

Fans of  Thre Bridges, 7 Psychopaths and In Bruges will be pleased to see hes delivered the quality again
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5800
    Count Me In

Netflix documentary film about drums/drumming.  Some big hitters (pardon the pun) talk about their passion for drumming and what it means to them.

Quite a few people here have seen this a while ago so when it popped up on Netflix I thought I'd give it a go.

Totally loved it.  So much that I almost thought about hanging up the guitar and buying a drum kit instead.  I've always like drums and oddly enough, even as a guitarist, the first thing I listen to on a record is the drums.

I wonder if I could become "good enough" at drums starting out as a complete novice in middle age?

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't seen the film, I'd highly recommend it.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12534
    edited October 2022
    The Good Nurse on Netflix. Based on a true story. Stars Eddie Redmayne as the title character who starts a new job and befriends Jessica Chastain at work, where they’re both employed as overnight ICU nursing staff. Chastain gets suspicious when patients start unexpectedly dying. Redmayne and Chastain are both excellent in their parts but it’s well acted by all the cast. Keeps you hooked throughout too. 

9.5/10. Would’ve been 10 except for Redmayne’s occasionally drifting US accent.  

Edit. Look at Wiki afterwards to see the real extent of what happened in real life. Quite shocking. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3759
    edited October 2022
    The Ghost / The Ghost Writer

Seen this a few times and for some reason it still keeps my attention.  Just a very well directed mild thriller, well paced and the whole oppressive, gloomy weather is as much a part of the cast as anyone.  Nice that it has a scene with Eli Wallach. Olivia Williams plays a great part.

8/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29214
    Ghostbusters (2016).

Not as awful as I'd heard/feared, but flat and unfunny and a bit of a waste of time. Deserved a better, funnier script. And a less insipid plot. And the cameos jarred.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4399
    The Last Tepui.

It's on Nat Geo via Disney+.

Scientist goes to Guyana to try and study the wildlife that lives on the walls of a tepui.

I was interested as Alex Honnold (the guy who climbed El Capitan without a rope) led the climb.

It's a short watch, but if you're into wildlife, nature and climbing, you'll enjoy it like I did.

7/10

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12558
    edited November 2022
    Edge Of Darkness (2010)

I was a massive fan of the original BBC TV series, which starred the fabulous and sorely-missed Bob Peck plus a very young Joanne Whalley.  Directed by Martin Campbell who also directed the original, it has Mel Gibson and Bojana Nockovic in the Peck and Whalley roles.  Ray Winstone and Danny Huston also feature.

I was not expecting a lot.  Movie remakes of TV series are usually A Bad Thing in my book, but this was really good.  Not usually a fan of Gibson either, but I really enjoyed his performance.  Winstone as Jedburgh was convincing as the dying British security fixer.  The role was originally slated for De Niro but he walked off set when shooting started.  That's a good thing because Winstone gives a very good performance.

I obviously won't spoil the plot for those of you unfamiliar with it, but suffice to say it follows a determined policeman's efforts to bring a large corporation to task for some extremely unpleasant shenanigans.  It all gets very messy as Gibson takes the gloves off and gives up any pretense at playing by the rules.

The original was far more understated but I thoroughly enjoyed this.  The baddies were really bad (Huston was especially slimy), the supporting cast were great, it snapped along at a good pace and the it kept us fully engaged.

Recommended at 7.5/10.

Mr Harrigan's Phone (2022).

I loved this.  It's a great movie based on a King story, which most certainly isn't always the case.  I haven't read the novella but the film has all the recognisable King themes: set in Maine; rites of passage sub-plot; small town America etc.  It stars Donald Sutherland and he's convincing as the elderly, lonely, ruthless billionaire living alone in a large house who hires a local kid (Jaeden Martell) to read to him three times a week for a few dollars a pop.  The two become unlikely friends, and the arrangement continues into the kid's high school years.

Then the old man dies... and as with so many King stories, the expression 'be careful what you wish for' becomes extremely pertinent...

I was glued to this from start to end.  The performances are great and whilst the plot has little by way of surprises for those familiar with King's work, it's nevertheless thoroughly enjoyable.  My only real criticism of it is that it's probably 30 minutes too long.  But that's a minor observation.

8/10.
  • One Cut of the Dead (Channel 4)

Ultra low budget meta zombie flick about a film crew making an ultra low budget zombie flick. The less you know about it, the better, because nothing is quite as it seems. Clever, fun, knowingly naff and rather touching.

8/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23787
    froglord said:
    One Cut of the Dead (Channel 4)

Ultra low budget meta zombie flick about a film crew making an ultra low budget zombie flick. The less you know about it, the better, because nothing is quite as it seems. Clever, fun, knowingly naff and rather touching.

8/10
    There's a French remake called Final Cut (or Coupez!).  I found it a bit annoying at first because I couldn't see the point of a remake, but they actually acknowledge the fact it's a remake as part of the plot - the characters still have the Japanese names, for example.  It would be interesting to watch them back to back.
  • Philly_Q said:

There's a French remake called Final Cut (or Coupez!).  I found it a bit annoying at first because I couldn't see the point of a remake, but they actually acknowledge the fact it's a remake as part of the plot - the characters still have the Japanese names, for example.  It would be interesting to watch them back to back.

I'll keep an eye out for it ...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    edited November 2022
    Moonage Daydream

Absolutely mindblowing - almost overwhelming… even though I knew a lot of Bowie’s history and have seen quite a bit of the footage, it was still brilliantly put together and really brought out what a strange, complex genius he was. But make sure you see it on the big screen - or a least the biggest home cinema setup you can - it’s an immersive experience and I don’t think it will have quite the same impact at TV scale.

MrsICBM - who is not a huge Bowie fan - said it’s one of the best films she’s ever seen and didn’t want it to end.

10/10

(Local cinema)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Triangle of Sadness (2022)

Often sceptical about Palme winners. This was superb. Food poisoning at sea is very very funny and Woody Harrelson is fantastic
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1976
    ConAir.
    My go to no brain film along with Coyote Ugly.