What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Haych said:
    Rebecca (Netflix)

Lily James is the travelling companion of an elderly lady, who meets a wealthy young widower, Maxim de Winter (Armie Hammer) while in the south of France.

After a quick holiday fling they get married and he then takes her back to his imposing country estate where the new Mrs de Winter is constantly in the shadow of Rebecca, her new husband's dead wife.

A bit of a slow burner to begin with but progressively gets better.  You know something isn't right and to be fair the plot isn't so complicated that it isn't quite obvious, but the real twist is quite subtle and unexpected.

Based on a novel by Daphne du Maurier and set in the mid-late 1930s it's really worth watching.  I was a bit dubious at first as it did take a while to get going but ended up being really good.  I also enjoyed the period in which the film is set where everyone dresses nice all the time, even if they're going to the beach.

8/10
    If you have not seen the original movie, seek it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    The Wonder (Netflix) very interesting story well acted and directed. Unique way to start and end a film.
    I found that pretentious and annoying - by trying too hard to be 'Shakespeare' (the narrator outside the plot is a feature of most of his plays) it undermines the realism of the rest of the film by letting you know in advance that the interior scenes are shot in a film set and not a cottage in Ireland. Not necessary or clever. A shame, because the rest of it is fantastic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PoboyPoboy Frets: 432
    edited December 2022
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28396
    Gassage said:
    North by North West

In my opinion, the greatest film of all time.

I saw it for the first time about 3 months ago. It was good but nowhere near greatest ever for me. I don't even think it's the best Cary Grant film, personally I rate Charade higher - a wonderful film with really surprising twists and turns.
  • Top Gun: Maverick.

The most enjoyable tosh I’ve seen for years.
    That was our Xmas day evening film. We've seen it in Imax when it came out and now enjoyed it on big TV with volume right up. 
    Yes, it's pretty much one big cliché, but very entertaining!

Offset said:
    goldtop said:
    Offset said:
    1923 (Netflix series)

OK, so it's a series not a film but hey - it has the feel of a sprawling movie.  Fantastic scenery and cinematography, excellent  cast including Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren and good plot which kept us riveted.  We watched the first two episodes B2B last night and can't wait for the next installment.  Recommended.

9/10
    Oooh .... wait, what sequel to Yellowstone ... missed that, too ... (ahem) ... on Paramount!  :anguished: 

I wondered how I'd overlooked it on Netflix.
    Ooooh shit - sorry @goldtop - I think it may have been on Paramount +.  The girls put it on and I walked in just after it started.

Wait until all the episodes have been released and then claim your free 7-day trial :-)
    Thanks Mark - I'll check this out, looks right up my street! 
  • stufisher said:
    Haven't watched it since its release ... enjoyed it much more this time round.
    It is famed for 'that cinematic, panoramic, scene' and Mendes' obvious gift of capturing it in a single take but to me the story is so much more.
    I think it displays the human condition in extremis ... how and why we are all driven, for different reasons, our flaws, our fears, our elation, our pain, our deference, our vulnerability ... pick a theme and it'll be in here.

It made me reflect on my mum's dad who fought in the 2nd Boer War with his half brother, which I uncovered to through research. Now I want know if they fought together in WW1 ... I have my Papa's records and medals so I now have a new Winter project.

For a film to shift me into action like this it has to get under my skin so for me it's a 9.5/10

That's just reminded me that a month or so ago I watched the Netflix remake of All Quiet on the Western Front. Was absolutely rivetted to it all the way through. It was gritty, gruesome, tense, and I enjoyed it (if "enjoyed" is the right word just as much as all the big-ticket war films like Saving Private Ryan, 1917 etc. Also works as a perfect example of how fucking stupid war is, and what a waste of life it causes. 10/10 from me.

I've been saving these for when I'm in the mood, looking forward to it. 
    I've been reading a bit about the ww1 tanks, unbelievable the conditions, the heat, the noise, the fumes, very slow, chances of getting stuck and or captured, no real communication with outside, people collapsing. Horrific. 
    I watched the Time Machine last night (Original 1960). Fantastic! I found it so scary as a kid. The scenes where he first goes forward in time were some of the most memorable film moments of my childhood. Also the one at the end where the morlock decomposes. Such a great story, it's something of a pun to say that it was ahead of its time (published in 1895).

The one thing that hasn't worn so well over the years is the model scenes, which are very poor, but it's still a superb watch. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    I've been reading a bit about the ww1 tanks, unbelievable the conditions, the heat, the noise, the fumes, very slow, chances of getting stuck and or captured, no real communication with outside, people collapsing. Horrific. 
    With characteristic soldiers' black humour, the crew of one that got stuck in No Man's Land named it "Fray Bentos".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogieman said:
    Labyrinth. Well, some of it, because I turned it off. If it wasn't awful enough already with creaky acting, terrible fx and dodgy muppet characters, Bowie ruins it further by bursting into song.  

I loved this when it came out. Went to the local cinema with my dad one Saturday afternoon. 

Watched it again recently with my son and it hasn't aged well at all. I thought it was pretty slow and boring the fire guys dancing about taking their heads off was terrible, my son sat through it though so must have thought it was OK. 
  • ICBM said:
    With characteristic soldiers' black humour, the crew of one that got stuck in No Man's Land named it "Fray Bentos".

:) 

I suppose you'd have to laugh, otherwise you'd go mad! 
  • Fallen..

An old (1998) supernatural/possession movie with Denzel Washington I’d somehow skipped in the past.  Not quite Omen creepy but a solid, old school creepy story flick.  Recommended.

7/10

• axisus said:
    I watched the Time Machine last night (Original 1960). Fantastic! I found it so scary as a kid. The scenes where he first goes forward in time were some of the most memorable film moments of my childhood. Also the one at the end where the morlock decomposes. Such a great story, it's something of a pun to say that it was ahead of its time (published in 1895).

The one thing that hasn't worn so well over the years is the model scenes, which are very poor, but it's still a superb watch. 

Yep. Some memorable scenes for a kid. Up there with First Men In The Moon.

Yep. Some memorable scenes for a kid. Up there with First Men In The Moon.

I love that film! Another childhood one that is a special memory for me. To this day I still get chocked up telling people about the start of the film where ...
    Spoiler:

The Americans/Russians find that tatty little Union jack on the moon!

Danny1969 said:
    Mothering Sunday - Netflix

Dull as hell and had it not been for the huge amount of nudity ...
    quiety ... reaches ... for ... remote ... whilst ... wife ... sleeps ... on ... sofa ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3827
    edited December 2022
    Gangs of New York.. 

I kept skipping watching it till today.  Basically a US civil war set John Wick revenge trip.  The story is quite shallow given the budget and cast.  Not really an epic or classic given it had 10 Oscar nods.   Watchable if you can spare the long hours.

6/10.

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    Hacksaw Ridge

If it wasn't based on a true story you would never believe it. Overdone IMO in typical Mel Gibson style and I would rather have had more about the mc's relationships with his battalion rather than the blood and guts stuff.

10/10 the heroism, faith and principles on show 7/10 for the film itself. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Megamind

Animated superhero caper, genuinely good and quite funny. 

Megamind grows up in the shadow of Metroman and the two become rivals with Metroman always coming out on top. Until one day Megamind defeats Metroman and then begins to miss their duelling. 

So he ends up creating a new good guy to fill the void, who ends up becoming the bad guy and then he’s forced to become the hero he always wanted to be. 

Really enjoyed it, if you fancy something silly and fun to watch then this is worth it. 

8/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Haych said:
    Megamind

Animated superhero caper, genuinely good and quite funny. 

Megamind grows up in the shadow of Metroman and the two become rivals with Metroman always coming out on top. Until one day Megamind defeats Metroman and then begins to miss their duelling. 

So he ends up creating a new good guy to fill the void, who ends up becoming the bad guy and then he’s forced to become the hero he always wanted to be. 

Really enjoyed it, if you fancy something silly and fun to watch then this is worth it. 

8/10
    Saw that with my kids when it came out and loved it! It's the only realistic portrayal of the ridiculous level of power that DC comics gave Superman! (the wonderful scenes of Metro man considering his future). Superman 'should' defeat all foes in the blink of an eye ...
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Glass Onion

Umm, don’t really know how to sum this one up. Knives Out was great, really enjoyed that, so with this being the follow up and with it also having Daniel Craig as the lead character, Benoit Blanc, it’s only natural to compare one to the other. 

While Knives Out had good characters, a progressive flow and the intrigue of a good whodunit, Glass Onion had none of that. The plot mechanism is absurd to begin with, the characters have no depth so you end up feeling indifferent towards them. You don’t know who the culprit is but neither do you care. 

The story doesn’t flow, it’s just a mess and even though Blanc explains everything the ending is meh. 

And poor old Edward Norton is acting his socks off but his character is so bizarre that he stands not a chance of being convincing. 

A generous 4/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 953
    ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’ - Netflix

really good

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom