What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    Tetris - Apple +    9/10
    Based on the story of Tetris and how it became a global phenomenon. Taron Egerton does a solid job. I'm sure some of the story has been embellished a little here and there for dramatic effect but the story is quite fascinating.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Haych said:
    Murder Mystery 2

Much like the original film it's quite entertaining but doesn't have much substance, not that you'd really expect it to.

We enjoyed it, it was a decent laugh and some of Adam Sandler's one liners are brilliant.

6.5/10. Netflix
    We watched this and Murder Mystery (1?) last week. Yes enjoyable fun both of them.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    edited April 2023

The Beach

2000 movie

Leo Di Capio seeks an off-grid perfect world with other cool kiddie drop outs living on the most beautiful beach in the world.
    He shags the wrong ladies, lies and lies and it gets darker in a Lord of the Flies type way.

I avoided the first time round because... well, you know, he was everywhere and frankly I was far too cool up my arse for it.

It is ridiculous and flawed. But it's an enjoyable ride and looks fabulous.

The film 6/10
    Robert Carlyle's mad bastard with a map 10/10
    The location.. okay I know it was a tad CGI'd but still 10/10

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    Not so much a film review but more of a review of the trailer.

Renfield looks bloody brilliant - Nick Cage as a vampire , what’s not to like
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Hennessy 

Talking Pictures TV

Set in the Troubles, lot of familiar faces including the film debut of Patrick Stewart and a very young Patsy Kensit. Didn’t get full cinema distribution in the U.K. as it was considered so controversial at the time. 
    Plot holes you could sail the Queen Mary through but otherwise quite a gripping drama. Worth a watch if you like old British cars. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I finally got around to watching the Knives out Glass Onion film with daughter no 2. We really enjoyed it! Yes, it is somewhat daft in plot, but it was just darned entertaining. As a film it doesn't warrant 8/10 on any kind of artistic merit, but just for pure entertainment factor I think it does. 

Looking forward to Knives out 3 ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Had an old French movie day. Started with Jules et Jim which I hadn't watched for ten or more years. In my memory it was a kooky, fun menage a trois (or two plus one). Perhaps my memory was deceived by the charming song Catherine sings in the film but on rewatching it was a darker, sadder meditation on how we're never satisfied even when we achieve our desires and Catherine seems like a prize bitch, relishing making everyone as unhappy as she is. Still a nice song though and a film that grips...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWjCTLsTxVY

After a break straight into Les Amants Du Pont Neuf, another I haven't seen in years and another that was very different to my embedded memory. Denis Lavant is always watchable (what a face!) as is a very young Juliette Binoche. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The downbeat story is a bit of a mess but it's always watcheable and the ending came as a pleasant surprise that I'd completely forgotten; a happy coda after so much suffering.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    rze99 said:

The Beach

2000 movie

Leo Di Capio seeks an off-grid perfect world with other cool kiddie drop outs living on the most beautiful beach in the world.
    He shags the wrong ladies, lies and lies and it gets darker in a Lord of the Flies type way.

I avoided the first time round because... well, you know, he was everywhere and frankly I was far too cool up my arse for it.

That’s a film that I also avoided for years because of excess DiCaprio, after Titanic... but it’s actually brilliant. He’s outstanding, although Tilda Swinton is even better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    ICBM said:
    rze99 said:

The Beach

2000 movie

That’s a film that I also avoided for years because of excess DiCaprio, after Titanic... but it’s actually brilliant. He’s outstanding, although Tilda Swinton is even better.

Snap!

I also avoided it for the very same reason, but Leonardo played a blinder. He’s a much better actor than I originally gave him credit for, too. I thought he was superb in ‘Catch Me If You Can.’

Tilda Swinton’s odd-looking but somehow hot.

• HaychHaych Frets: 6171

Snap!

I also avoided it for the very same reason, but Leonardo played a blinder. He’s a much better actor than I originally gave him credit for, too. I thought he was superb in ‘Catch Me If You Can.’

Tilda Swinton’s odd-looking but somehow hot.
    Catch Me If You Can was a wonderful movie, and Di Caprio was brilliant.

You can keep Tilda Swinton all to yourself, she does absolutely nothing for me.  

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    ICBM said:
    Keiko said:

On another level I have a genuine hatred for "hurray we killed it" films. Jaws etc. They have a lot to answer for in the real world in my opinion. Not what the world needs, but hey there are millions of bell ends in the world who love watching those films and so it makes some people in America a lot of money, so that's the end of that discussion.
    Spielberg has recently apologised for causing an increase in the huge numbers of sharks killed, due to Jaws. It won’t make any difference of course, but at least he has some awareness of the problem.
    A lot of the shark-hatred had already been stirred up by Ron and Valerie Taylor, a married couple from Australia who’d been shark hunters and photographers for years before Jaws was released. I remember reading one of their books in the 60s where they’d invented a spear fitted with a device to fire a shotgun cartridge into the shark’s head, specifically to kill any one of them that appeared “aggressive”, when it was more than likely the animal just being curious. They’d also made various films and documentaries including Blue Water White Death which completely demonised sharks. The Taylors and their son filmed some of the real life shark footage for Jaws. 

Ironically they turned into marine conservationists in later years, having already made sharks seem something that had to be killed at all costs. I never really understood it… you wouldn’t go marching into a pride of lions and expect not to get hurt; why should entering a shark’s hunting grounds be any different? Some (most?) humans are stupid. And arrogant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504

I thought the precise opposite.

Nick Cage for one.
    Can't stand him,.

the other is I can't remember the last good vampire movie... I mean... it's hardly a innovative subject matter is it?

Each to their own and all that
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    edited April 2023
    rze99 said:

Nick Cage for one.
    Can't stand him,.

the other is I can't remember the last good vampire movie... I mean... it's hardly a innovative subject matter is it?

It’s on at 8.45 tonight in Dorchester , shall I get us 2 tickets ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14031
    I just Googled Renfield as I'm a sucker (ahem) for a good vampire movie.  However, the words "supernatural horror comedy film" ensure that I'll let some of you lot view and review before I dip my toe.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25107
    rze99 said:

Nick Cage for one.
    Can't stand him,.

Let The Right One InOnly Lovers Left Alive.  Kiss of the Damned.  Probably a couple of others since then, but they sprang to mind.

Regarding Renfield, I wonder if the title will be enough to catch viewer attention?  It does mine, but I'm not sure modern audiences know the names of any of the characters except Dracula himself.
    Philly_Q said:
    rze99 said:

Let The Right One InOnly Lovers Left Alive.  Kiss of the Damned.  Probably a couple of others since then, but they sprang to mind.

Regarding Renfield, I wonder if the title will be enough to catch viewer attention?  It does mine, but I'm not sure modern audiences know the names of any of the characters except Dracula himself.
    ^^ I loved Bram Stoker's Dracula - stellar cast, grandiose atmosphere, great director.  Oldman was superb as Dracula and Hopkins gleefully hammed it up as Van Helsing.  What wasn't to like?

Well,  one thing... or should I say one person...
    Adding to the great vampire movie list, I'd add Afflicted (2013) which is a fantastic directorial debut from two Canadian filmmakers.  Don't let the fact it's found footage put you off (which it usually would me).  Very good fun.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Offset said:

I loved Bram Stoker's Dracula - stellar cast, grandiose atmosphere, great director.  Oldman was superb as Dracula and Hopkins gleefully hammed it up as Van Helsing.  What wasn't to like?

So did I. Bu if that’s who I’m thinking of :), I thought he was actually OK.

It’s really fairly faithful to the book too, which I re-read recently after not having done since I was a teenager, and was quite surprised how modern it is in a lot of ways.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    So did I. Bu if that’s who I’m thinking of :), I thought he was actually OK.

That accent... :-(
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25107
    Offset said:
    I loved Bram Stoker's Dracula - stellar cast, grandiose atmosphere, great director.  Oldman was superb as Dracula and Hopkins gleefully hammed it up as Van Helsing.  What wasn't to like?

You just know I'm going to be contrary ;) .... 

There are things about it I like.  It has an interesting look, nice sets and costumes, and as ICBM said it's fairly faithful to the book and captures some of the book's "modern-ness".  I applaud Coppola's attempts to do most of the effects "in-camera", although sometimes the results are quite weird.

But.... with the honourable exception of Oldman himself, all the performances are absolutely awful.  Ryder is beautiful but wooden, Waits is miscast, all the young male characters (not just Reeves) are woefully written and woefully played, and Hopkins... I'm just not a fan, I think he's a massively overrated actor.  It's almost unwatchable at times.