What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Haych said:
    Nobody (Netflix)

Bob Odenkirk plays the seemingly very meek and unassuming family man, Hutch Mansell.  Everything about him is ordinary, he has a mediocre job, a stale relationship with his wife and his kids don't seem to think much of him.  Yet he puts up with all of it and carries on his mundane routine day in day out.

I won't add anything more and spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

It was very different to how I thought it was going to be.  I'd seen the trailers before and from the look of those previews it looked like it was going to be something along the lines of Falling Down.  It wasn't.

Quite a violent film but also quite witty.  Bob Odenkirk is rather good but Christopher Lloyd, for his brief appearance, stole the show for me.

As @VimFuego said up there ^ somewhere, it's way beyond the realms of plausibility but a jolly good ride for all that.

The ending seems to have left the possibility open for film number 2, but it was a subtle suggestion rather than an outright nod.
    Cracking film
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16314
    Very good film that ^^^ just go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is
    tae be or not tae be
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    CHRISB50 said:
    Re-watching Some Kind of Monster.

Feeling sorry Kirk all over again.

Reminded what narcissistic arseholes James and Lars are. F me they are precious. 

7/10

I honestly thought it was a piss-take first time I saw it.

I'm still not sure, there's a bit of spinal tap about it. 

I've only seen bits of it though tbf. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Timcito said:
    The Last Kingdom - the final installment called 7 Kings Must Die ... or maybe it was 5! Anyway, great stuff. I've watched all the seasons of this gripping Viking-Saxon drama set in the pre-Norman conquest era with a hero called Uhtred (son of Uhtred!), who, we learn, is mysteriously excluded from all the history books. I'm sorry it's all over! 
    Yep have watched the lot and read the lot, I really like Cornwell's writing fiction around real characters and events with a lot of effort into the historical accuracy.  Hope they make a series of his arthurian stories next.

I would have probably preferred another series to the film format but great stuff.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Oh and a bit late for the vampire film discussion but Near Dark is the greatest.

End of vampire film discussion : )
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited April 2023
    munckee said:
    Oh and a bit late for the vampire film discussion but Near Dark is the greatest.

I was trying to remember that one! I was looking for near dawn then before dawn then gave up. 

It was quite good. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    munckee said:

It's very good but seems to have been rather forgotten in recent years.  Overdue for a Blu-ray/4K special edition!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    I also enjoyed Near Dark.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14033
    I'm going to stick my neck out here and give John Carpenter's 'Vampires' the big thumbs-up.  I loved it.  With the notable exception of 'Ghosts Of Mars',  Carpenter can do little wrong in my book.
    Offset said:
    I'm going to stick my neck out here and give John Carpenter's 'Vampires' the big thumbs-up.  I loved it.  With the notable exception of 'Ghosts Of Mars',  Carpenter can do little wrong in my book.
    Bold move. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Bold move. ;)
    I had a gut feel it wasn't going to be one of your faves @Philly_Q hence the 'neck-out' qualifier :-)
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 992
    Triangle of Sadness - on Prime

This won the 2022 Palme D'Or, which is kind of ironic seeing it appears to me to be a pretty unsubtle poke at the super-wealthy and superficiality of glamour. There's one or two laughs but otherwise it's just farcical, silly and a bit odd. 
    It's pretty slow going...a lot of the scenes are drawn out well beyond their shelf-life. Not sure why this had to be 2hrs 20m; cutting 30 minutes or even more would've had little impact.
    We watched it to the end though I'm not sure what to make of it.
    It's about a 5/10 at best for me.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Le Pupille (The Pupils)

Short (just 38 mins) Italian film about some girls in a convent school at Christmas during WWII. It's quirky, odd, yet strangely captivating and brilliant. It's difficult to describe without seeing it, but as usual if you don't like odd foreign art films you'll be better avoiding it, but if you do or think you might it's less than 40 minutes to find out!

The only problem is the awful dubbing, which made it briefly almost unwatchable in places, but I couldn't find a subtitle option in the settings...

Film - 9/10
    Dubbing - 4/10

(Disney+)
    You've got to love Seraphina
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Bold move. ;)
    I had a gut feel it wasn't going to be one of your faves @Philly_Q hence the 'neck-out' qualifier :-)
    Yeah, I love early Carpenter but he started to lose me around They Live.
    Philly_Q said:
    Next you'll be telling me you don't like Hell Comes To Frogtown  ;)
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Next you'll be telling me you don't like Hell Comes To Frogtown  ;)
    I do like it, but only in a so bad it's good way.  I haven't got the Blu-ray...
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1558
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Bold move. ;)
    Pretty much me too. 
    Mouth of Madness starts well as I recall but then loses its way (it's been years since I've seen it).
    By the time Snake Plissken is on a surfboard I'm out.

I'm just grateful for what we got from Carpenter in the golden years from Assault on Precinct 13 ('76) to They Live ('88)

Fog, Halloween, Escape From New York, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Prince of Darkness....

(I can't believe I've never seen Christine or Starman).
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    CaseOfAce said:
    (I can't believe I've never seen Christine or Starman).
    Both good, though not his very best.  I saw Starman fairly recently and I think it holds up well.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Christine is pretty good too, one of the better Stephen King book-based films IMO and definitely worth a watch. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 992
    The Gray Man (Netflix) 

I quite like Gosling - not a great actor but he's got a bit of charm about him sometimes, though sadly there's none of it in this.
    2 hours of sub-Bond machismo with gratuitous guns, knives, explosions, car/helicopter crashes, etc...
    The plot (if you can call it that) is really irrelevant. The usual array of cardboard cutout villains and other cliched supporting characters.
    The budget for this must've been huge. How does this trash get made?
    Avoid, unless mindless action is your schtick 

2/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom