What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Evil Dead Rise

No narrative, no character development, no plot, no charm, don't bother. (And I love Evil Dead movies)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    3000 Years Of Longing (2022)

Mrs O and I settled down to watch this the other evening.  I won't go into this in depth as others have already reviewed.  Suffice to say we didn't even get to the half-way point before giving up.  I'm not having much luck with films right now and this was the latest in a list of utter duffers.  Shonky effects and a tedious plot (what little we saw of it) which even the combined efforts of Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba couldn't come close to salvaging.

This seems to attract pretty favourable reviews, but I have no idea why.

Hard to rate something I couldn't watch the whole way through, but here goes - 2/10.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Evil Dead Rise

No narrative, no character development, no plot, no charm, don't bother. (And I love Evil Dead movies)

Was off to see this tonight but not so sure now. Is it really that bad? I loved the first two films and the TV show but hated Army of Darkness. Really enjoyed the remake so was looking forward to the new one 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Evil Dead Rise

Was off to see this tonight but not so sure now. Is it really that bad? I loved the first two films and the TV show but hated Army of Darkness. Really enjoyed the remake so was looking forward to the new one 

I tried (re-)watching Army Of Darkness a few nights ago.  I gave up - I'd forgotten how shite it was.  And as for the 2013 're-imagining' of the original - dooooh, what an utter stinker.

I really don't think you can improve on the first two.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Missus munckee chose A Good Person on sky, have since read reviews which say its terrible but I thought it was a good watch and not my normal sort of thing.

It might be worth noting when missus munckee suggested it I was not very enthusiastic so it might be a case of exceeding expectations - it is fair to say its like a very long episode of This is Us but better.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    Offset said:
    Evil Dead Rise

I tried (re-)watching Army Of Darkness a few nights ago.  I gave up - I'd forgotten how shite it was.  And as for the 2013 're-imagining' of the original - dooooh, what an utter stinker.

I'm uninviting you two from my birthday party. Army of Darkness is brilliant, and you two philistines won't be getting jelly OR ice cream now. 

I hope you're happy.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    I think Army of Darkness is great.  And I thought the 2013 Evil Dead reboot was good, although I've only seen it once and I keep meaning to watch it again.  I'll have to wait and see about Evil Dead Rise.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Offset said:

Mrs O and I settled down to watch this the other evening.  I won't go into this in depth as others have already reviewed.  Suffice to say we didn't even get to the half-way point before giving up.  I'm not having much luck with films right now and this was the latest in a list of utter duffers.  Shonky effects and a tedious plot (what little we saw of it) which even the combined efforts of Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba couldn't come close to salvaging.

Hard to rate something I couldn't watch the whole way through, but here goes - 2/10.
    Theres an awful lot of crap out there but the last two semi-decent films we’ve watched ; for something reasonably watchable have you tried Operation Fortune? Ok it’s got Jason Statham in but it’s still decent enough and Hugh Grant is a hoot. If you want something a bit more interlekchul, have you seen The Wonder? Very gothic, well acted and atmospheric. 
    boogieman said:
    Theres an awful lot of crap out there but the last two semi-decent films we’ve watched ; for something reasonably watchable have you tried Operation Fortune? Ok it’s got Jason Statham in but it’s still decent enough and Hugh Grant is a hoot. If you want something a bit more interlekchul, have you seen The Wonder? Very gothic, well acted and atmospheric. 
    I don't have a problem with Jason Statham.  He's been in some films which I've really enjoyed (The Bank Job in particular) so we'll probably give this one a go.

I hadn't fancied The Wonder up to this point but given my own film choices have been so shite of late, I may as well give it a go :-)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    The World's End (Prime) Despite really disliking Pegg, I watched this - mainly because we happened to visit Letchworth when they were filming it. (Visiting the world's first roundabout, because ... well, there's SFA else to do in Letchworth.)

It was better than I was expecting, and the writing is often very witty. There's just something very annoying about the Pegg/Frost buddy act, which at least was limited to about 10 minutes at at the end. So 4/10 overall.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    goldtop said:
    The World's End (Prime) Despite really disliking Pegg, I watched this - mainly because we happened to visit Letchworth when they were filming it. (Visiting the world's first roundabout, because ... well, there's SFA else to do in Letchworth.)

It was better than I was expecting, and the writing is often very witty. There's just something very annoying about the Pegg/Frost buddy act, which at least was limited to about 10 minutes at at the end. So 4/10 overall.
    My son was watching a video with Edgar Wright going through some of the hidden/less obvious elements in his films. I can’t remember anything specific from TWE but I liked that so much thought and care and nerdism goes into so much of his film making. The Cornetto trilogy gets worse as it progresses so this is the worst of the three but I still like that labour of love aspect. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 66
    Watched The Gentlemen on Netflix today, I saw it when it first came out and had forgotten how good it was, great story and really good acting from all in it, probably the only film I like with Hugh Grant 
    Riddim up
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    edited May 2023

Renfield
    Excellent film. Time flew by and I thought it was well acted and fantastically paced.

9/10
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504

The Assistant (2020)

Movie. Film4

Tense and claustrophobic day in the life of a junior assistant to an abusive major movie producer.  

Julia Garner is exceptional as the rookie to the producer mogul monster charges with doing all the shit jobs all day for very long hours.

She gradually realises that her boss is setting up a very young (underage?) girl in a hotel as another prospective "assistant". What should she do?

Very little happens. Very little is said, but the ominous threat from her abusive drug addicted boss and the enabling, sycophantic unsupportive team is tiring and grim to behold. 

Great central performance - Julia Garner's performance is a 9/10 - but overall, a grim tedious #MeToo statement watch where absolutely nothing happens.

Not recommended. The movie is, in the round, thoughtful but not entertaining to watch 4/10 

• slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    Offset said:

The thing about subjective opinion is that your 2 and my 9.3 are equally valid and confusing to the potential viewer. I think it got about 70 per cent which is worse and better. 

I remember watching the usual suspects and nearly turning it off. My assumption here is that everyone agrees with me that it's a slow starting excellent movie.

Finally I've quoted you because whilst I liked the movie you are correct it does have shonky effects and it's painfully slow. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    edited May 2023
    i watched one of my favourite films again after not seeing it for years. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5uPZ7ocsqA

still an awesome film (rip brandon lee also he was a great actor for sure and no need to mention martial artist).

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    edited May 2023
    Last Night in Soho. 

Google Play

Seemed to drag a bit at times but maybe that’s just me and films over 90 minutes. I’m not sure how to describe it as it transitions a bit between genres and where it ends up won’t be obvious from the start . It’s very filmic, I think I mean it’s often trying to be different and scenes are very composed. Performances are all good, the (mostly) sixties music is great (Bad Penny by Rory Gallagher is credited although I don’t remember hearing it). 

Edit:  I didn’t love it but it was interesting and maybe worth applauding anything that tries to do something different. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Return To Seoul (cinema) Centres on an adoptee trying to work out who she is, having been adopted as a baby, and taken from Korea to be raised in France. She's not a nice person, really, which makes you a bit conflicted. Amazing acting from a first-timer and great direction. Very slow-moving and some unusual story-telling that lets you (or makes you?) fill in the gaps yourself. Absorbing and unusual. Good soundtrack, too. 8/10
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    A Quiet Place Part II (Netflix)

Despite the obvious plot killers in the first film, I did quite enjoy it.  

The second film provides some background into how the whole alien-beastie things came to be on our planet with its flashback to their arrival (more questions) and then picks up right where the first film ended.

To be fair, I thought it was on par with film number 1, it was tense in places and, not only that, it poses some equally baffling questions that can't really be answered.

Cillian Murphy, who normally I find difficult to watch, was very good I thought.  Of course, it's worth watching just for Emily blunt, who seems either never to age or just she just gets better with age.

Overall a good 7/10 I reckon.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Offset said:
    Evil Dead Rise

I only really liked the first one. 

I caught the end of the remake on TV and it looked really bad. Although the original probably looks really bad now too.