What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited May 2023
    https://www.justwatch.com/

It tells you what platforms have what films for free or subs streaming.

It’s very useful.
    @fretmeister thanks for that, I always just Google the film title and add "where to watch UK", but this looks better!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1209
    I'm interested to know what's coming up at the cinema soon, which is suitable for me and my wife. We tend to like thrillers, tense drama, mature humour.

I won a couple of tickets through work, but we rarely go to the cinema.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Brio said:
    You know Gary? 8-)

I knew his old man  :)
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1121
    I'm interested to know what's coming up at the cinema soon, which is suitable for me and my wife. We tend to like thrillers, tense drama, mature humour.

I won a couple of tickets through work, but we rarely go to the cinema.
    If only there was a way to find out such things. Hmmm. That's a tough one.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Nobody (2021)  Netflix

Guy living a humdrum existence has everything turned round when a couple of kids rob his house and it ends up with him against a ruthless and well-armed Russian mafia gang.

If you like an action film, this may well be for you.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    equalsql said:
    Rye Lane Disney+
    This is top of my to-watch list. I watched the first 15 minutes last night and thought that Mrs R would like it so stopped and will watch it with her tonight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaveJamesDaveJames Frets: 63
    Greyhound,  I read the book "the
    good shepherd" and the film certainly does it justice.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    1917 (BBC4, I think)

To be honest I didn't think I'd enjoy this one so I was pleasantly surprised when I did. Different to most war films I've seen and strangely for me I felt it could've had more gore (surely there would have been?). I don't normally like too much gore, sometimes it seems OTT, but in this case it just seems like there should have been more!

8/10
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    Air, an inspirational tale of how big business exploited talent, hard work and the developing world to make rich people even richer. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    The Menu (2022) Disney+

A group of diners travel to an exclusive restaurant on an island run by an obsessive celebrity chef.

It's reasonably entertaining with a pleasing twist at the end.
    If it's Gordon Ramsay and they kill him at the end I'm going ...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Two old films, one a classic, the other not ......

So first off Total Recall. It's still a great watch but although made in 1990 it suffers from the '70s' sci-fi thing of having no imagination about the future! I've seen this film many times over the years and still seem to enjoy it. Arnie doing what he does well. The 'disguise' scene is great fun but also totally daft - he couldn't have possibly drawn more attention to himself if he tried! Anyway, it still gets an 8.5/10 from me, partly for nostalgia, also partly for retro cool.

And then the bad film. I remembered it as being terrible, and I was not wrong. It's a shame as Snake Plissken is one of my favourite characters in film. Yup, I'm talking about Escape from LA. The original film, Escape from New York was brilliant, one of my fave films of the era. The LA follow-up is just dire all over (except for Kurt Russell who is great in every scene). Terrible story, rubbish directing, woeful miscasting of lead baddie plus his girl, terrible effects editing. Stacy Keach was good though in his minor role. Such a bad film! 7/10  for Kurt, but 2.5/10 for everything else.

Is it too much to ask, I would love Kurt to play an aged Snake just one more time. Sign the character off with a great script and film!
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Check out the 'new' Total Recall with Colin Farrell and Kate Beckinsale.
    Good film plus Kate Beckinsale!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Rye Lane - Gave up after finding I couldn't understand the language being spoken, or the accents. Can't really score it because I never finished it.

Rams - With Sam Neill and Miranda Richardson (who's remarkably hot given she's my age). Aussie brothers living next to each other that fell out years before, come up against the sheep equivalent of BSE. No spoilers, but I found it touching, and hilarious in places. 8/10

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    edited May 2023
    Nobody. Netflix. 

Bob Odendirk is completely unbelievable as an action hero. 
    Christopher Lloyd as a shotgun-toting retired death-dealer is even worse. 
    Has a ludicrous plot line. 
    Lots of salacious and graphic violence. 
    Full of stereotypical characters. 

Basically it’s utter nonsense. 

Excellent!!  9/10. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    edited May 2023
    Guardians of the Galaxy III, I did enjoy it, but ... overlong. The verk dark Rocket backstory was very remeniscent of Wolverine, and the twee everybody needs family ending was a tad sickly.  7/10

The Mother on Netflix. Pretty much by the numbers Special Forces previous life catches up with them film. But good nevertheless. JLo is very good as the lead, I was suprised at her kick-ass abilities. 7/10
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    The Mother (Netflix)

J-Lo takes on the role of a bad-ass CIA trained type bod who goes after a bunch of bad guys after her daughter, who's removed from her by the state at birth, is kidnapped.

Meh, got twenty minutes in before I turned off, J-Lo was unconvincing in the role and it was just a bore-fest with no plot and no soul.

Don't bother.

-2.3/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    Jalapeno said:
    Guardians of the Galaxy III, I did enjoy it, but ... overlong. The verk dark Rocket backstory was very remeniscent of Wolverine, and the twee everybody needs family ending was a tad sickly.  7/10

The Mother on Netflix. Pretty much by the numbers Special Forces previous life catches up with them film. But good nevertheless. JLo is very good as the lead, I was suprised at her kick-ass abilities. 7/10
    Haych said:
    The Mother (Netflix)

J-Lo takes on the role of a bad-ass CIA trained type bod who goes after a bunch of bad guys after her daughter, who's removed from her by the state at birth, is kidnapped.

Meh, got twenty minutes in before I turned off, J-Lo was unconvincing in the role and it was just a bore-fest with no plot and no soul.

Don't bother.

-2.3/10
    ...soooo generally strong 4.7/10 then? 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    Calling The Shots (Talking Pictures)

This, I think, was a mini-series condensed down into a film. It started off rubbish B-Movie fodder, actually more like C-Movie. The acting, dialogue and script were all poor, very poor, but it had enough moments just to keep me intrigued a little.  

Not sure what happened after about 60 minutes!  Everything seemed to improve and it actually became memorable, scary and tense, not sure I've seen a film where there was such an incredible turnaround.

Lynn Redgrave (Georgy Girl herself) acts her socks off as the film progresses and it's worth watching for her performance alone.

Basics are: she is a journo investigating a rape and then gets targeted by the rapist with plenty of twists and turns along the way.  Reminded me of Prime Suspect, so if you liked that you will probably like this.

7/10
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    equalsql said:
    Rye Lane Disney+
    This is top of my to-watch list. I watched the first 15 minutes last night and thought that Mrs R would like it so stopped and will watch it with her tonight.
    @SteveRobinson if you were to change Mrs R to Mrs J, and apply it to multiple films then that would be my televisual life.

• HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    edited May 2023
    Superintelligence (Prime)

A super-intelligent AI, voiced by James Corden, becomes self aware and infiltrates pretty much every electronic device it wants to (don't think too hard).

While deciding on whether it will help or destroy humanity it chooses Carol Peters (Melissa McCarthy) as a case study, as she's the most average and unambitious human on the planet, to help it decide the future of humankind.

It invades her life with humorous consequences and while she tries to reconcile with her ex (Bobby Cannavale) the likes of Microsoft and the government all want a piece of the action as Carol seems to be the only contact the AI has chosen to have with humans.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this, most films I've seen having Melissa McCarthy in the lead role have been an unfunny swear-fest but this was appropriately rated PG and I don't think she uttered one foul word the entire run time.

It ended up being quite entertaining, even if it wasn't belly-achingly hilarious, and quite a sweet film with the love story between Carol and her ex nicely interwoven into the plot.

Melissa McCarthy is also strangely attractive in this film, maybe that's a by-product of her not effing and jeffing every third word?

Above average 7/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.