What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Nobody

Total bollocks, and a waste of Bryan Cranston’s talents. What was he thinking when he took the gig? More lead in the air at any one time than all the A-Team episodes put together, and more gratuitous violence than John Wick.

Loved it, 8/10.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A Quiet Place 2

Disjointed, messy sequel of the original, which was excellent. Some cracking moments here and there, but overall I was left wondering why they bothered making it.

5/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    Nobody

Total bollocks, and a waste of Bryan Cranston’s talents. What was he thinking when he took the gig? More lead in the air at any one time than all the A-Team episodes put together, and more gratuitous violence than John Wick.

Loved it, 8/10.

Cranston? 

You mean Saul.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Nobody

Loved it, 8/10.

Cranston? 

You mean Saul.
    Saul? 

You mean Odendirk.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited April 2023
    Shut In

My unerring gift for picking out a dud led me to this "thriller" on Amazon Prime.  It's a sort of low-rent Panic Room in reverse, with a woman trapped in her own pantry while her two young kids are in the house being menaced by a couple of ne'er-do-wells.  Actually it's not that bad... the direction and performances are OK, it's just very obviously 50 minutes of plot stretched out to 90 minutes.  

It caught my attention mostly because it's got Vincent Gallo in it.  He achieved a bit of fame and notoriety as an actor and director about 20 years ago, but doesn't seem to have done much since, certainly not in the last decade.  I wonder if he's fallen on hard times?  He looks pretty much the same as ever - i.e. like Joe Perry's junkie kid brother.

(Edit:  I've just Googled the film and apparently it was made by The Daily Wire, "an American conservative news website and media company".  I guess there is a bit of a don't do drugs, turn your life around message here, but it's not too heavy-handed.  There are quite a few moments of odd religious symbolism, and for a while I did wonder if it was going to turn into a full-on Christian message movie, but it doesn't.)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Stand by me

I finally watched it after all these years. I'm sure it's a great film, but I didn't exactly love it. I suffer from a lot of empathy which means that I don't enjoy watching some scenarios - several of which were in the film. I'm sure everyone knows the film anyway but I don't want to add spoilers. I didn't really like the end either. Had a nice 80s vibe though.

What did amaze me was that the chunky kid (Vern) was Jerry O'Connell, Who I knew as one of the main characters in the 90s tv classic Sliders. As a kid he looks nothing like he does older!
    edited April 2023
    Chuffola said:
    Nobody

Loved it, 8/10.

Cranston? 

You mean Saul.
    Saul? 

You mean Odendirk.
    No, I mean Bob Odenkirk.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    I know. It was unsuccessful attempt of a joke.
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 66
    edited April 2023
    Watched Avengement on Netflix, gangster  /prison film with bad fighting scenes all the way through it, a bit like the rise of the foot soldier style, not worth it IMO 
    Riddim up
    The Pale Blue Eye (Netflix)

I know everyone else watched this months ago, but it happened to catch my own pale blue eye when I was scrolling around the streaming channels list night...

1830.  A civilian detective is called in to West Point military academy to investigate the murder of a cadet.  He's aided in his investigations by another young cadet, a certain Edgar Allen Poe. 

The story's framed as a murder mystery but our heroes actually do very little detective work, all the clues and suspects just seem to fall into their laps.  It also veers into slightly incongruous horror territory occasionally.  The film has a look which I quite liked - all the indoor scenes are very dark, all the outdoor ones very bright, with a snowy backdrop.  And there's some spectacular scenery which may or may not be CGI (I hope not).

There are a lot of familiar faces in the cast, and many British actors doing strange American accents... but hey, maybe they talked like that in the 1830s.  Rather than waste time on character development, everyone seems to have been instructed to overact wildly - Gillian Anderson and Timothy Spall are particularly guilty of this.  This makes it hard to care about any of the characters.  Christian Bale himself is unusually restrained, I thought, but the best thing about the film is Harry Melling's performance as Poe.

Overall, it's alright.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    RRR (2022)  Netflix

The three hours just fly by. Spectacular fighting and dancing (with CGI assistance) as our heroes fight the evil English Empire.

9/10, deducted one for the dubbing, otherwise brilliant. Would highly recommend.
    RRR (2022)  Netflix

The three hours just fly by. Spectacular fighting and dancing (with CGI assistance) as our heroes fight the evil English Empire.

9/10, deducted one for the dubbing, otherwise brilliant. Would highly recommend.
    It's been on my watch list for ages, but the run time puts me off.  Is English dub the only audio option?  :(
  • The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson. The whole thing's on YouTube - check it out! I only discovered Wilko after he'd died, but what a guy. There's so much more to him than meets the eye. I'm reading his autobiography now as well.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Operation Fortune (Prime)

A lot better than I expected. Given that it’s a Jason Statham film I expected the usual brooding loner with either a dodgy criminal past or a dodgier ex black ops past looking to rebuild a life somewhere quiet, but has to off a load of bad people from his previous life. 

Nah, seems he’s a government contractor sent to uncover who stole some unknown thing by his boss, Cary Elwes. 

Think MI but with a lot more tongue in cheek and a lot less complicated latex Tom foolery about it. Cary Elwes is very good but Hugh Grant as the billionaire arms dealer steals the show. Long gone is the Hugh who played the same floppy haired buffoon in every movie and he seems to have come into his own of late.

I really enjoyed this, almost against my will. Got a feeling there will be a sequel. Spoiled a bit by rather a high body count but apart from that it’s not a bad distraction for a couple of hours. 

7.25/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

I know. It was unsuccessful attempt of a joke.

And I fully accept I’m a dork for missing it!

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Nobody (I’m gonna fuck you up) - 9.5/10

Renfield - 9.5/10
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    RRR (2022)  Netflix

It's been on my watch list for ages, but the run time puts me off.  Is English dub the only audio option?  :(
    Yes I think so @Philly_Q , we'd rather have watched it in Hindi with subtitles but it was still a blast.
    tFB Trader
    Herself (2020)  IPlayer

Woman escapes abusive husband and attempts to build a new life with her two young daughters, up against a difficult housing situation. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    3000 years of longing.

Very slow. Lots of dialogue some shonky CGI and not what I thought it was. Loved it

9.3 recurring 
    A Quiet Place
    A Quiet Place Part II

Since the sequel is now on Netflix and it's been a few years since I watched the first film, I decided to watch both.

The original is good, but a bit sillier and less exciting than I remembered.  I still got confused, as I did originally, by all the different buildings and basements the family have on their property.  Next time I'll draw a map...

Part II has, I would assume, a bigger budget so there are more locations, more monster FX and more action scenes.  The pre-credits sequence showing how everything began is great.  But for most of the film the main characters are separated, which makes the whole thing seem disjointed as it chops and changes between locations.  It all feels very much like just another chapter in the story, with more to come... which is fine, I guess.