What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Haych said:
    Superintelligence (Prime)

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this, most films I've seen having Melissa McCarthy in the lead role have been an unfunny swear-fest but this was appropriately rated PG and I don't think she uttered one foul word the entire run time.

Melissa McCarthy is also strangely attractive in this film, maybe that's a by-product of her not effing and jeffing every third word?

I have to admit that I like Melissa McCarthy films. I find her appealingly cute and funny. I'll take a look at this ta!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Phenomena (1985)

A teenage girl with a mysterious power over insects investigates a series of brutal murders in Switzerland, with the help of a paraplegic entomologist and an extremely intelligent chimpanzee...

I've seen this film several times, in various versions and at least twice on a big screen, but for some reason seeing this new restoration (in Italian) completely blew me away.  It's utterly bonkers and makes not a jot of sense, but it's totally gripping from beginning to end, 14 year old Jennifer Connelly commands the screen (although the chimp's performance is amazing), and even when specific moments are laughable - which they frequently are - the film is still completely brilliant.

I don't know what it is about the films Dario Argento made between 1974 and 1987, but there is some kind of magic about them which other filmmakers don't have (and which he, sadly, lost long ago).  They're incredible.  I was absolutely buzzing after watching this.
    Where did you see it? Streaming somewhere?
    I've been rewatching old films that I enjoyed in the past, and yesterday I put on The Net, a Sandra Bullock film. I got bored, and quit half way through. It was not great, although it was quite nice to glance at the online world of 1995 - massively pixellated low res graphics, floppy disks and modems etc. The director did a few dumb things that really annoyed me, illogical dumb stuff. 

I do love to watch Sandra Bullock, but not enough to get through the film!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    axisus said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Phenomena (1985)

A teenage girl with a mysterious power over insects investigates a series of brutal murders in Switzerland, with the help of a paraplegic entomologist and an extremely intelligent chimpanzee...
    Where did you see it? Streaming somewhere?
    @axisus I saw it on the big screen at the National Film Theatre.  They've got a season of Dario Argento films this month, including some personal appearances by the man himself (which I missed).

Streaming-wise, I've just been looking and it's on Arrow or Shudder if you have either of them.  Then on Amazon Prime you can see it with a free trial of BFI Player, MUBI, Arrow or Shudder... or rent it for £2.49.
  • Rewatched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood the other day.

I saw it when it first came out in the cinema and loved it, but was always reluctant to watch on the small screen as I felt it might be the sort of film that works brilliantly on the big screen but wouldn't quite work on the small screen. My suspicions were completely wrong - I loved it just as much the second time around! The friendship between the Pitt and DiCaprio characters is genius. Possibly puts it into my top 3 Tarantino films.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    SISU

Absolutely bonkers. You obviously need to suspend your reality and belief when watching this, but it's great fun. 8/10.
  • edited May 2023
    A Man Called Otto
    USA remake starring Tom Hanks. Grumpy, suicidal old man learns to love again. Really great movie, as good as the Swedish one. Haven't watched a Tom Hanks film for a while, so it was nice to see him again.

8/10

Also: This was through Sky Store. We fancied a cheapy pizza so got ASDA meal deal: 2 medium pizzas, bottle of Sprite and a Sky Store voucher worth £5.49 for £6. All we had to do was upload a photo of the receipt to a website and it deposited the credit to Sky Store account (Which I had signed up to). Then, you choose your film on the Sky Store and cast it to your telly to watch. Seamless! 
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 432
    What toppings on the pizza?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    The Terminator 9/10

Havent watched this in years. Still holds up as one of the finest sci-fi / horror films ever. It also sounds fantastic, the music and sound design is absolute perfection. 

Will watch the sequel later this week, and then continue pretending the subsequent ones were never made, as is correct. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    The Terminator 9/10

Havent watched this in years. Still holds up as one of the finest sci-fi / horror films ever. It also sounds fantastic, the music and sound design is absolute perfection.
    I’d give it a 10 - it’s flawless and absolutely iconic from beginning to end.

Even T2 is not in the same league.

Also, it’s set in the year after next!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Waiting for the Barbarians (Amazon Prime) A good fable ruined by poor story-telling. I was tempted in by the cast (Depp, Rylance, etc) but the screen-time given to Rylance's kind/gentle character was at odds with the bigger story being told. I checked the wiki about the original story and there's a significant change which rather undermines the story. 4/10
  • Poboy said:
    Hawaiian and Meat Feast :smile: 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Poboy said:
    You had me until hawaiian, you're sick.
  • munckee said:
    Poboy said:
    You had me until hawaiian, you're sick.
    What's wrong with koa on pizza?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25598
    The Houston 500
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504

My Policeman

Prime Movie 2022

Harry Styles stars in a slow old-fashioned melodrama about a love triangle in Brighton the 1950s/and 1980s.
    Classically British stuffy furtive awkward and trembly where little is said but stuff happens furtively in the dark and away from lower middle class polite society. 

Watched this with my wife and daughter (who is the Harry Styles fan). Harry Styles gives an acceptable but distinctly bland performance especially considering his character is discovering his passionate gay nature while engaged and then in a marriage  to an intellectually superior but stuffy, innocent worthy girl.

There's plenty of good looking costumery and old England and for those interested, there is enough (not very erotic) gay sex and Harry nakedness to keep a fan interested. 

Recommended only if you're a Harry fan and want to look at him dressing up in a Police uniform and naked.

Otherwise too old fashioned melodrama with nothing new to say..

5/10

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    The Terminator 9/10

Will watch the sequel later this week, and then continue pretending the subsequent ones were never made, as is correct. 
    Watched Terminator 2 last night. Another solid 9/10

It still looks great, still sounds great, Linda Hamilton puts in an absolutely fantastic shift, its hard to believe Ed Furlong was just some random kid they found, and Arnie and Robert Patrick are pitch perfect.

Love it. Just don't mention the sequels. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Jurassic World Dominion (2022)

Basically pretty much a mash-up of all the others with all the old actors and one new dinosaur. 

Kid gets into trouble, car rolls over, T Rex, kid is rescued. If you've seen one film in this franchise, you've seen them all. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Army of one.

The Nic cage one. First film I've liked of his since raising Arizona.
    It's about the American guy that took it apon himself to go to Pakistan to capture bin laden armed with a sword, in case you didn't know.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504

The Death of Dick Long

2019 movie Film 4 rated 18

Fargo-like Black alt-tragi-comedy set in impoverished shitsville smalltown nowhere Alabama. 

Three slacker no-hope band mates indulge in an all-night mid-week weird-shit blow out after band practice. After the family go to bed they go full on into drugs 'n' booze fire-starting wild abandon hedonism.

The next thing we know two of the band are driving around their bleeding and mortally wounded bandmate Dick Long and end up literally dropping him out of the car at the local hospital, where he dies shortly after.

What happened in between is gradually and disturbingly unravelled as the aged alcoholic local lady sheriff and dopey junior officer stumble around missing obvious clues while Zeke and Earl make increasingly idiotic moves to cover their tracks while their infuriated slightly brighter women folk despair at they realise what the hell their pathetic shit-head men have been up to.

It's brilliantly shot and directed and there are a few witty situations meanwhile you are drawn deep into a world of utterly useless shit-head men and their literally disgusting efforts to escape their meaningless useless realities. 

Watch with subtitles: mumbly, slurred, heavy Southern state American accents. Adults only.

Recommended 8/10