What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    edited June 2023
    DannyP said:

Inside Man, by god that was poor.

The ridiculous and baffling choices made by the characters had me shouting at the telly. Plus it had that veneer of British TV crapness that made me want to apologise to any Americans that had the misfortune to tune in.

I agree that Tucci's performance was the best thing in it, in the same way a piece of sweetcorn is the best thing in a turd.
    lol

It’s bad enough that having watched three episodes, I can’t decide if I actually care about the outcome enough to waste another hour of my life watching the last one. Thankfully it is only four... if it was six I would just bail out now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Drive My Car (DVD) Very long and slow Japanese melodrama, starring a Saab 900 Turbo, which I think was meant to be a metaphor for some human thing, but it was too hard to keep my attention up enough to find out. Not helped by long excerpts of Chekhov's Uncle Vanya. I normally like Japanese movies, but this one wasn't for me. 1/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    goldtop said:
    Drive My Car (DVD) Very long and slow Japanese melodrama, starring a Saab 900 Turbo, which I think was meant to be a metaphor for some human thing, but it was too hard to keep my attention up enough to find out. Not helped by long excerpts of Chekhov's Uncle Vanya. I normally like Japanese movies, but this one wasn't for me. 1/10
    Didn't it win an Oscar and loads of other awards?  That's not me saying you're wrong, it sounds super boring. :)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    @Philly_Q ; Yes, which is why we stuck with it for the full 3 hours.

(There are lots of slow-burn Japanese movies that we love - Nobody Knows, Departures, After Life, etc - but this was somehow charmless.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    The Ledge - 2022 mountaineering drama

Basically what you think will happen after 10 minutes of watching it is exactly what happens. No surprises, just the inevitable conclusion. Crap acting, crap dialogue, crap special effects and ridiculously far fetched.

2/10. 
  • SISU, you WILL NOT see a better film this year. Great story writing, super acting, incredible cinematography amazing locations.if you are going for the gorefest the trailer hints at it being you will be disappointed. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    SISU, you WILL NOT see a better film this year. Great story writing, super acting, incredible cinematography amazing locations.if you are going for the gorefest the trailer hints at it being you will be disappointed. 
    We watched it last night - very entertaining indeed
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25598
    SISU

About a Finnish ex-commando living in the wild panning for gold who encounters a troop of Nazis.  The Nazis inevitably steal his gold and try to kill him.  He escapes and the rest of the film is about them trying to track him down while he picks them off one by one.

It got ninety-something percent on Rotten Tomatoes.  I usually find RT pretty good on the ratings but my god they are way off with this - more like 9%!

The problem was that it was mostly realistic, so you don't give it a "superhero suspension of reality exemption".

You are expected to not question it when he survives a machine gun attack from half a dozen Nazis by holding up a sheet of metal as a shield, that he could somehow survive being hanged - overnight!, stitch up gaping wounds with bits of old wire and get no infections, fly a plane, hijack another by embedding a pickaxe in the fuselage as it's taking off, hang on upside down beneath it then hack a hole big enough to get through, get in, kill more Nazis then survive unscathed as the plane then crashes at several hundred mph, vertically, into a swamp.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    ^^ Well I think I know enough about the film now not to bother watching it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    I watched the 2003 film "Monster" late last night on one of the TV channels.  It's about the Daytona Beach protitute Aileen Wuornos who embarked on a killing and robbing spree of "Johns" sparked by a feeling of being continually treated like shit by pickup clients and life in general.  The movie itself was good but not terrific, however the cosmetic transformation and fantastic character acting of Charlize Theron was quite amazing and she really did look and act like the real Wuornos that I've seen in video footage.
    Offset said:
    ^^ Well I think I know enough about the film now not to bother watching it...
    The reviews (of Sisu) I've read previously made it sound really good, but a couple of the comments above have put me off a bit.  I think I'll avoid reading more reviews and just watch it when I can.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited June 2023
    Throw momma from the train.

Noticed it on prime and remember it from years ago. Good movie. Crisscross. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    King Kong on iPlayer . Simply brilliant , a fantastic story and all crammed into 90 minutes
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    BillDL said:
    I watched the 2003 film "Monster" late last night on one of the TV channels.  It's about the Daytona Beach protitute Aileen Wuornos who embarked on a killing and robbing spree of "Johns" sparked by a feeling of being continually treated like shit by pickup clients and life in general.  The movie itself was good but not terrific, however the cosmetic transformation and fantastic character acting of Charlize Theron was quite amazing and she really did look and act like the real Wuornos that I've seen in video footage.
    Yeah the teeth and facial appearance was spot on, incredible really. Her partner was more a work of fiction in the film compared to the real women. 
    Not a bad film 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    King Kong on iPlayer . Simply brilliant , a fantastic story and all crammed into 90 minutes
    1933 version, I hope?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    Philly_Q said:
    1933 version, I hope?
    I imagine so. The Peter Jackson one is something like 10 hours.  

I miss the days when he could make a 90-100 minute film...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    Philly_Q said:
    1933 version, I hope?
    Yep and as @earwighoney points out , it skips along with a nice tight story and no bloating at all.

Refreshing !
    edited June 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    1933 version, I hope?
    I imagine so. The Peter Jackson one is something like 10 hours.  

I miss the days when he could make a 90-100 minute film...
    I think everything he did was great, up to and including LOTR (the LOTR films were long, but needed to be).  After that he lost all ability to self-edit.

And now I'll have my usual moan that you still can't get Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles or Braindead on Blu-ray.  p
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    I quite like the Jackson King Kong.
    In my opinion it was the last film where a director could actually direct Jack Black. After that he was so big he was out of control and nobody could stop him doing what he wanted (hmm King Kong parallels?). Basically the same character in every film since.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    We watched Red Notice on Netflix last night. 

Think I’ve seen it before but it’s quite an enjoyable movie. Ryan Reynolds is really quite funny and Dwayne Johnson plays his straight man and sets him up nicely for a load of one liners throughout the film. 

It’s totally daft and completely beyond belief but as an evening distraction from reality it’s perfect. 

Gal Gadot is thrown into the mix, although she mainly adds some glamour to the film as her acting skills are about on par with Johnson’s. 

Overall a decent movie though and time passes quickly which is a good indicator of how well I’m enjoying a film. 

I’d have to give it a 7.5/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.