What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    edited June 2023
    Don’t Worry Darling

6/10

Watched it last night on Sky Stream, well filmed looks and sounds great in UHD and Dolby Atmos, a real work out for the subwoofer at times.

a reasonable psychological thriller, nothing really new, shades of The Prisoner TV series, but Florence Pugh…swoon! She looks and sounds lovely and gave Harry Styles a welcome home from work that would see me finishing work early every day!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Night Hunter (Prime). Bit of a cross between Silence of the Lambs and Split. Good cast : Henry Cavill as a US detective (with a British accent that’s somehow never explained), Stanley Tucci as his boss, Ben Kingsley as a disaffected ex judge with a vendetta against naughty offenders that he thinks have got off too lightly. The plot’s a bit nonsensical in places but it’s a well produced film, nicely filmed with decent tension and atmosphere throughout and a plot twist at the end that I didn’t see coming. 

Not bad. 7/10. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3828
    edited June 2023
    In The Loop..

Forgotten how brilliant this was.. 10/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    Extraction 2 (Netflix)

I remember that Extraction was set somewhere hot.  This one's in Georgia and Austria so everyone looks a lot less sweaty.  There's a lot of shooting and explosions and stuff, all very well staged but rather uninvolving... towards the end there aren't many characters left so you can care about them a bit more.  It's alright.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Asteroid City (cinema) - the usual excellent cast, the usual whacky cinematography and the usual attention to detail and non-stop wit that highlights bits of Americana. But ... something lacking and the story within a story bit kept disorienting me - I felt I was missing something important. Very watchable, of course - like all of his movies. 6/10
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    The Pez Outlaw (Netflix)

Documentary film about Steve Glew, a struggling machinist from Michigan who hated his job and who has mental health issues.

He started off supplementing his income with toy sales using cereal box offers as his stock - he seems quite proud to claim that the offers now state one-per-household as a result of his activity.  At one of these toy fairs he came across Pez dispensers and wanted to find out more.

He eventually sunk everything he had into a trip to the Pez factory in Europe to buy several duffel bags of stock and started a small business selling grey imports in the US, much to the annoyance of the "Pezident" of Pez USA.

Quite a lighthearted look at the man himself, who seems like a very decent character and his efforts to make a better life for his family.

If you have GAS for guitar gear and feel guilty about the kind of money you spend on guitars and amps then I'd recommend watching this - some of the collectors of Pez spend ridiculous amounts on a piece of plastic!  And they have a LOT of them!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• In The Heart Of The Sea
    Working away this week and none of my streaming services are working apart from iPlayer so gave this a go. Based on the story that inspired Moby Dick, starring a Hemsworth, Tom Hollands and Cillian Murphy. 

It was good. 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

I’ve only managed to get through about half of it so far. Visually, I think it’s good. Storyline as expected, the bad guys get their arses kicked, but come back for a second bite at the cherry with bigger guns. Hope to finish it off next week when I can find the time.

The Foreigner (Netflix)

Gritty political action thriller with Pierce Brosnan and Jackie Chan.

Not the usual Jackie Chan comedy action stuff I am used to from him.  To be fair, while he plays a major part in the film, it's mainly based around Pierce Brosnan as Northern Ireland deputy first minister Liam Hennessy.

The film starts with Jackie Chan's daughter being killed in a bombing in central London, responsibility claimed by the Authentic IRA.  Chan wants answers and most importantly the names and locations of the bombers.

He seeks out the help of Brosnan's character, who claims ignorance, but then starts to exert pressure to get the answers he wants.

Really rather quite good.  Chan is far removed from his usual roles, but still takes on a bit of an action man type role.  Brosnan is quite excellent as a politician in a corner between a rock and a hard place.  I don't pretend to understand the history of Irish politics and it is intertwined in a clever way throughout the film without losing the gist of the plot for those who don't know.

One of Mrs Haych's better choices (although I apparently hold the stinker award in the Haych family for Black Sheep) and one that I quite enjoyed.

7/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
    Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Prime. 

Having known almost nothing about this I went in eyes open. Enjoyed the set up with the laundry and the lesbian daughter and then it was 8 hours of sci fi nonsense, FFS the multiverse thing has been done to death. I can see the Oscars for technical aspects and nothing wrong with the individual performances but it was just very, very boring. 
    Agreed, I thought it was going somewhere at first but eventually it just went round in circles. I don't think it got anywhere near justifying the acclaim.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Haych said:
    One of Mrs Haych's better choices (although I apparently hold the stinker award in the Haych family for Black Sheep) and one that I quite enjoyed.

New Zealand horror comedy or the old Chris Farley film?  I like both.
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:

New Zealand horror comedy or the old Chris Farley film?  I like both.
    The New Zealand horror - to be fair, it's terrible, but terrible in a good way lol

Rob Roy (1995) - Came out in the mid 90s when Braveheart unfortunately stole it's thunder. It's a pity because this has some absolutely stellar performances; most notably Tim Roth and Brian Cox.

Liam Neeson is a man of honour, and he will defend that honour to his last breath, even if it does mean sticking his face in the rotting carcass of a Highland cattle.The sword fight finale is also a pleasure to watch

There are far worse ways to kill a couple of hours than this absolute gem.

In The Loop..

Forgotten how brilliant this was.. 10/10
    If you're into history I magine you'll enjoy The Death of Stalin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    Run Rabbit Run (Netflix)

Random choice by Mrs J last night. Australian psychological thriller perhaps.
    Here's a brief synopsis I copied from google...

A woman grows increasingly unsettled by her young daughter's claims to have memories of another life, stirring up their family's painful past.

That sums it up without spoiling it. Lily LaTorre who plays the young daughter is very good.

It's creepy and I felt pretty anxious during it yet somehow enjoyed it. The end was a bit rubbish. 6.5/10

edited June 2023
    Pride (2014)

1984, and it's the height of the miners' strike.  A group of friends in London form "Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners" and travel to a small South Wales mining town to support the protest against pit closures.  Along the way, barriers are broken down and friendships are forged, etc...

The film has some big names - Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton, Paddy Considine, Dominic West - but to be honest it's  rather slow and doesn't do much other than pushing the right buttons and being a bit feelgood occasionally.  It's alright though.

This was sponsored by the LGBTQ+ group in work and I thought (a) let's be supportive and (b) let's get some free chocolate brownies and prosecco.  As it turned out only four people, myself included, turned up to watch the film, which was a bit disappointing - but an "experience".  And I got to talk to some people I hadn't talked to before.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Postal

Not bad, quite well done and funny. 
    Reminded me of this place for some reason  ;)
    Postal

Not bad, quite well done and funny. 
    Reminded me of this place for some reason  ;)
    The Uwe Boll film?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16668
    Philly_Q said:
    Pride (2014)

1984, and it's the height of the miners' strike.  A group of friends in London form "Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners" and travel to a small South Wales mining town to support the protest against pit closures.  Along the way, barriers are broken down and friendships are forged, etc...

The film has some big names - Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton, Paddy Considine, Dominic West - but to be honest it's  rather slow and doesn't do much other than pushing the right buttons and being a bit feelgood occasionally.  It's alright though.

This was sponsored by the LGBTQ+ group in work and I thought (a) let's be supportive and (b) let's get some free chocolate brownies and prosecco.  As it turned out only four people, myself included, turned up to watch the film, which was a bit disappointing - but an "experience".  And I got to talk to some people I hadn't talked to before.
    I thought it was alright and I get to say I used to go out with Paul King's cousin. That title song is great, King had some cracking songs. 
    I
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I thought it was alright and I get to say I used to go out with Paul King's cousin. That title song is great, King had some cracking songs. 

It is a great song.  I think I have the single... or it might be "Alone Without You".... both great songs.  I don't think it has much to do with the topic of the film, but it fits the mood and the time.  And looking at the lyrics you could actually apply them however you want.