What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3829
    Count of Monte Cristo (1975)

Hugely watchable. They really knew how to make a solid movie in the past.  

8/10 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    Offset said:
    Shrews said:
    tony99 said:
    Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Prime. 

Having known almost nothing about this I went in eyes open. Enjoyed the set up with the laundry and the lesbian daughter and then it was 8 hours of sci fi nonsense, FFS the multiverse thing has been done to death. I can see the Oscars for technical aspects and nothing wrong with the individual performances but it was just very, very boring. 
    Agreed, I thought it was going somewhere at first but eventually it just went round in circles. I don't think it got anywhere near justifying the acclaim.
    I'm normally a big fan of surreal movies but only got 45 mins into this film and gave up. If I'd watched it at the cinema I'd have walked out. I just found it annoying and didn't care about any of the characters. 

Boring. Not even worthy of a score.
    I also wasn't as bowled over by it as the Oscar judges apparently were. My complaint with it was that it seemed like a sketch show with a variety of 10-15 min skits. I thought some of them were great and really funny, but a good chunk of them missed the mark for me and I got bored.

Very disjointed, but I did enjoy quite a lot of it. Definitely not Best Picture worthy, even though it wasn't exactly a vintage year.
    We gave up well before the end.
    Me too.  We can't all be missing something surely? 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    bobblehat said:
    Offset said:
    Shrews said:
    tony99 said:
    Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Prime. 

Having known almost nothing about this I went in eyes open. Enjoyed the set up with the laundry and the lesbian daughter and then it was 8 hours of sci fi nonsense, FFS the multiverse thing has been done to death. I can see the Oscars for technical aspects and nothing wrong with the individual performances but it was just very, very boring. 
    Agreed, I thought it was going somewhere at first but eventually it just went round in circles. I don't think it got anywhere near justifying the acclaim.
    I'm normally a big fan of surreal movies but only got 45 mins into this film and gave up. If I'd watched it at the cinema I'd have walked out. I just found it annoying and didn't care about any of the characters. 

Boring. Not even worthy of a score.
    I also wasn't as bowled over by it as the Oscar judges apparently were. My complaint with it was that it seemed like a sketch show with a variety of 10-15 min skits. I thought some of them were great and really funny, but a good chunk of them missed the mark for me and I got bored.

Very disjointed, but I did enjoy quite a lot of it. Definitely not Best Picture worthy, even though it wasn't exactly a vintage year.
    We gave up well before the end.
    Me too.  We can't all be missing something surely? 
    Emperor's new clothes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dogma,  I hadn't watched it for a good few years, still one of my all time fave films.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Us (2019)

Didn't really enjoy this to be honest, not nearly as good as Get Out imo.

I understood what the film is saying but found the idea of the Tethered too far fetched.

Importantly, what did they feed the rabbits?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    We have a ghost - netflix.

One of those comedies with heart. Not laugh out loud stuff, but I quite enjoyed it. Easy role for David Harbour, he doesn't speak once! To be honest it is too long, I think it was around 2h 7m, but a film like this really needs to be more like 1h 40 in my opinion.

With my empathy cap on I find stories like this sad, as it's basically a nice guy who got killed. I don't think that's a spoiler considering the title!

Hmmnn ... score maybe 6.5/10. I think it misfires in places although I did like it.
  • JEMJEM Frets: 196
    Good Vibrations - iPlayer

Biopic of the "Godfather of Belfast Punk" Terri Hooley. I'd never heard of Terri Hooley or Good Vibrations so I didn't really know what to expect. Richard Dormer is very good as Terri as is Jodie Whittacker as Ruth. Some of the other casting is a bit dubious and the tight budget shows sometimes but otherwise I found it very enjoyable. 

Worth catching before it disappears from iPlayer.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Tried to watch Ted (Amazon Prime) last night. I've obviously grown up a bit. Either that or Macfarlane's humour is best done in smaller chunks. There are proper ROFLs, but they're outnumbered by a lot of laboured gags. I only watched about a third of it, so can award it 1.2/3.3. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    edited July 2023
    Project Wolf Hunting (Amazon Prime)

A cargo ship is used to extradite a large group of criminals, accompanied by an equal number of cops, from the Philippines to South Korea.  The crooks soon manage to escape and much violence ensues, but there's a greater danger on board...

I'd heard about this a few months ago and thought it sounded amazing, but... it isn't.  The plot is paper thin, derivative, incoherent and doesn't justify the lengthy running time.  As always in body-count movies, it gets a little better when the number of survivors is down to single figures and the characters start be be distinguishable from each other, but I don't want to give it that much praise.  I like a violent movie, but this is just two hours of crunching bones and blood running down walls and corridors, it's idiotic and it's too much.

The end hints at a sequel which, let's be honest, I'll probably watch.  I hate myself.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ Added to my watch-list :-)
    Offset said:
    Don't say I didn't warn you.  You might like it, I can see how people would, but for me it got the tone wrong, as often happens in horror movies.  It's quite a personal thing, it's interesting going to FrightFest every year and hearing that a film which is regarded as the very best by some of the audience is seen as the absolute worst by others.
    I'll let you know how I get on.  It has the ingredients I usually like for this sort of film.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    The Revenant

Very well made and some of the scenery is stunning but a bit long and boring really. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    Flash

Much better than I expected it to be, but still a little clunky. Reasonable plot and script, (mostly) decent visuals, neat score, lots of fan service.

6.5/10
    Brooklyn 45 (Shudder)

December 27, 1945.  Five friends, all with connections to the US military or military intelligence, get together at the request of Clive, an Army colonel who, it turns out, wants to conduct a seance to contact his wife, who recently killed herself.  

This feels much like a filmed play, taking place in real time with a small cast, essentially in one room.  There are horror elements but it feels more like An Inspector Calls, with each person revealing their true character, and deepest prejudices, as the evening progresses.  Not much fun, but well worth a watch.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1121
    The Black Demon - One of the worst films I've ever seen. Plot is ridiculous, but worst of all it's just boring, and there's not even any eye candy in it. 1/10.

Sisu - 7/10. Strangely watchable, but completely ridiculous. I'm hoping this was made as a bit of a comedy or tongue in cheek action film. "Most action films are unbelievable, so lets make one that really takes the piss..." If watching Bond films annoy you because "why don't they just shoot him when they've got the chance?" then this film will really wind you up!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Sid and Nancy.
    I couldn't wait for it to be over.
    It was no Harry & Meghan.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    "Nefarious" (2023).

Pretty decent theological horror - heavily dialogue based but well acted. 
    6.666/10

"Indiana Jones" (2023).

Not sure about that one - I didn't enjoy it much. It supposedly had all the right bits - action, different exotic locations, some humour, but I found it tedious and there was next to no chemistry between Ford and Waller-Bridge (Helena). 
    Watchable but on lazy Sunday afternoon on TV, not worth paying for cinema ticket IMHO.
    4/10
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Don't say I didn't warn you.  You might like it, I can see how people would, but for me it got the tone wrong, as often happens in horror movies.  It's quite a personal thing, it's interesting going to FrightFest every year and hearing that a film which is regarded as the very best by some of the audience is seen as the absolute worst by others.
    I should have heeded your warning.  Gave up well before the end :-(
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    I should have heeded your warning.  Gave up well before the end :-(
    Wow!  I wasn't expecting that.