What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Philly_Q said:
    Postal

Not bad, quite well done and funny. 
    Reminded me of this place for some reason  ;)
    The Uwe Boll film?

No, it was the one based on a true story.

Your one looks even better though! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 603
    Just got back from watching the latest Indiana Jones flick. Absolutely terrible. Slow paced, boring, no funny jokes, no great action scenes. Really there’s no redeeming qualities. The woman in it is very annoying. 

I kept looking at my watch from about 30 mins in to see how long was left. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    Philly_Q said:
    Postal

The Uwe Boll film?

It's not bad, as far as I can remember.  I saw two of his films the same weekend (or maybe the same day), Seed - which was really grim and violent - and Postal - which was pretty amusing, surprisingly competent... and violent.

Bear in mind that Dr Boll used to have a reputation as the worst film director in the world though....
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2798
    Watched Asteroid City yesterday. Absolutely loved it, but then I absolutely love everything Wes Anderson's done. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Watched Asteroid City yesterday. Absolutely loved it, but then I absolutely love everything Wes Anderson's done. 

I'm looking forward to watching that. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25570
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Postal

The Uwe Boll film?

It's not bad, as far as I can remember.  I saw two of his films the same weekend (or maybe the same day), Seed - which was really grim and violent - and Postal - which was pretty amusing, surprisingly competent... and violent.

Bear in mind that Dr Boll used to have a reputation as the worst film director in the world though....
    He still does.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 335
    Switch625 said:
    Just got back from watching the latest Indiana Jones flick. Absolutely terrible. Slow paced, boring, no funny jokes, no great action scenes. Really there’s no redeeming qualities. The woman in it is very annoying. 

I kept looking at my watch from about 30 mins in to see how long was left. 
    I must have been watching a different film. :D 

Plenty of action scenes, off the top of my head- fighting Nazis on top of a train; a Tuk Tuk vs Jag chase; insects in the caves; gunfights; foot chases on the rooves;diving really deep;the siege of Syracuse. Some of it was quite inventive for an Indiana Jones film. Also, several parts of it made me chuckle, some from it from being knowingly stupid, some because it was funny. And, Phoebe whatserface, while being irritating, also provided an impetus for the film that Indy himself just doesn't do. Not a great film, but better than everything in the series other than the first two IJ films, and good in a Saturday matinee type way, which is what the franchise was based on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 335
    Philly_Q said:
    Pride (2014)

1984, and it's the height of the miners' strike.  A group of friends in London form "Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners" and travel to a small South Wales mining town to support the protest against pit closures.  Along the way, barriers are broken down and friendships are forged, etc...

The film has some big names - Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton, Paddy Considine, Dominic West - but to be honest it's  rather slow and doesn't do much other than pushing the right buttons and being a bit feelgood occasionally.  It's alright though.

This was sponsored by the LGBTQ+ group in work and I thought (a) let's be supportive and (b) let's get some free chocolate brownies and prosecco.  As it turned out only four people, myself included, turned up to watch the film, which was a bit disappointing - but an "experience".  And I got to talk to some people I hadn't talked to before.
    I watched this a short while after release, and the weekend after was walking over to get some shopping with my girls. We cut through the Hafod copperworks where there were a group of people in suits wandering around. A woman wandered over to us and asked if we were local. I said yes, I'd grown up a few 100 metres away, and we had a conversation about the plans for the site of the copperworks. She was Sian James MP, the woman in the film who organises the support of the gay group. In real life, she was lovely and charismatic. A complete coincidence that we bumped into her having just watched the film. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rewatched Sneakers earlier today. One of my favourite movies and still the best heist movie ever made IMHO. 
  • Ghosted on Apple TV, wanted something light hearted not have to think to hard and it was perfect for that, I did not expect it to be so good, great action scenes and proper laugh out loud moments. well worth a watch.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    Girls With Balls (Netflix)

Women's volleyball team the Falcons run into a group of murderous inbred rednecks and are forced to fight for their lives.

This French time-waster takes a familiar Hills Have Eyes or Wrong Turn plot but places the emphasis on comedy more than horror.  Unfortunately it's not remotely funny, the violence is all blood-spatter and third-rate CGI, and the characters are, without exception, extremely unlikeable morons.

It's less than 80 minutes and it's got an 18 certificate.  Can't miss, I thought.  Wrong again.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    Watched "The Stranger" Jeez, what a dreary film

Fair enough, hardly a fun subject matter (child killer) but no light and shade between the two leads,BOTH of 'em dull/dull/dull

For me, not much cop
    tae be or not tae be
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
    edited July 2023

The Many Saints of Newark (2021)

As a big Sopranos fan I had high hopes for this prequel although reviews weren’t great, still I thought I’d give it a whirl. DIckie Moltisanti (Christopher’s father) is the film’s main protagonist and we get to learn a little about Tony's gangster beginnings.

It’s an unfortunate storytelling exercise though as it lacks  drive and no one character has any real narrative arc that most standalone episodes of the series had in spades.There was an awful lot of material that could’ve been put to good use but overall it’s very dIsappointing

Don’t bother.

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Offset said:
    Poboy said:
    Bone Tomahawk

Western horror love story...
    Great cast, great dialogue, gruesome ending. What more could you want?
    8/10
    Amazon Prime
    That one was a bit gruesome even for me.  Good film, but a very hard watch.
    Even this post has given me unwanted flashbacks!  Can't be unseen. Great movie though - just wish I'd know it was coming...
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    24 Hour Party People (Prime)

I've seen it before a few times and it's entertaining stuff, although it plods in places. I like Steve Coogan but unfortunately he is my biggest problem. From what I remember of Tony Wilson there wasn't much resemblance in terms of looks or voice, and he still appeared more like Partridge. The rest of the casting was excellent, especially for Ian Curtis and Shaun Ryder, not so Ralf Little as Peter Hook.

Obviously the soundtrack is brilliant

All in all, 8/10 - will watch again at some point.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3829
    The Swimmers

True story movie of two Syrian refugee sisters making it to Europe and the Olympics.

A more in depth view of the issues than the media presents.

8/10

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    edited July 2023
    1984 (Prime)

Bob Champion stars in a setting that's nearly as bleak as the world we live in today. I'm not sure where it's meant to be set, maybe Peckham because Trigger turns up at the end.

Anyway, Bob plays a very naughty boy who cops off with the winner of the world's biggest bush competition and gets sent to Room 101 with Rab C Nesbitt. He has to submit to his most terrifying fears, which, surprisingly, isn't an afternoon with Boris Johnson. 

7/10
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2506

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Film  2022 Action comedy

Nicolas Cage stars as a fictionalized version of himself struggling with his career after rejections he decides to quit but then accepts an odd $1 million gig to go to Majorca to meet billionaire playboy to be the guest of honor at his birthday. While there they hit it off and decide to create an improvisational movie before a crime family and the CIA obstruct progress,

I don't like Cage for some reason but I rather enjoyed this despite it being silly and uneven and I laughed out loud several times but maybe that was just too much wine... anyway it's entertaining enough for a Friday night.

7/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    The Program (Netflix)

2015 docudrama about Lance Armstrong's seven Tour de France wins and the doping program he ran within the team at the time, and David Walsh, the Sunday Times journalist who was relentless in his pursuit of the truth.

Once upon a lifetime I used to be a keen road cyclist and would follow pro cycling.  Many of the internet forums I used to then frequent were rife with rumour and allegations, regurgitating accounts of he-said-she-said.  The raid of Ferrari's home, the masseuse, the hospital room incident and the micro dosing and hotel room blood bag stuff.  

Everyone seemed to know there were these unsubstantiated rumours that all these things happened, but nobody had a smoking gun, and there were still many who refused to believe Armstrong could even consider doping, let alone that he actually was.

All those events were portrayed in the film, and in chronological order, and it helped make sense of how things actually unfolded.  It pieced everything together quite nicely and made it easy to digest.

I enjoyed it, would probably give it 7.8/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

edited July 2023
    rze99 said:

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Film  2022 Action comedy

Nicolas Cage stars as a fictionalized version of himself struggling with his career after rejections he decides to quit but then accepts an odd $1 million gig to go to Majorca to meet billionaire playboy to be the guest of honor at his birthday. While there they hit it off and decide to create an improvisational movie before a crime family and the CIA obstruct progress,

I don't like Cage for some reason but I rather enjoyed this despite it being silly and uneven and I laughed out loud several times but maybe that was just too much wine... anyway it's entertaining enough for a Friday night.

7/10

I enjoyed that. 

I hated Nic cage in those cheesy action films and straight stuff, but think he's good in comedy rolls, and because he's kind of taking the piss out of himself here he came across quite well I thought.