What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    Keiko said:
    The Black Demon - One of the worst films I've ever seen. Plot is ridiculous, but worst of all it's just boring, and there's not even any eye candy in it. 1/10.

Sisu - 7/10. Strangely watchable, but completely ridiculous. I'm hoping this was made as a bit of a comedy or tongue in cheek action film. "Most action films are unbelievable, so lets make one that really takes the piss..." If watching Bond films annoy you because "why don't they just shoot him when they've got the chance?" then this film will really wind you up!
    I watched Sisu Last night

i quite enjoyed it as a brain dead, don't have to think to much , kind of film but there are many points where you think 
    " now hang on a minute" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Triangle of Sadness (Amazon Prime) satirising the super-rich and self-absorbed, as they set off on a cruise liner. Weapons dealer, oligarch, SM influencer, model, tech billionaire, etc. I didn't know it was the same director as did The Square, but it became apparent early on - same sort of dark wit, style and shock factor. It's bloody long and deliberately dwells on some gross detail. Woody Harrleson's character is a bit annoying, but the rest are great. Was sad to hear that one, Charlbi Dean, had died at just 32 last year. 6.5/10
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3538
    edited July 2023
    Living

Bill Nighy top notch as per usual, great supporting cast; I reckon the director said to the actors "when you're saying the lines, act as uncomfortable as you can"

It's a very sweet film 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    Hitman

Film 4 

Bollocks on so many levels but relatively short and stomps along. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish. Loved the first movie but this is a cut above. The characters and drawn backgrounds are improved - more detailed with added depth and colour and the story is a hoot. I think Puss may be one of António Banderas’ finest roles; it’s up there with Pain and Glory and the rest of his work with Almodóvar. Computers may have given the world a lot of bad stuff but animation has definitely benefited. 9.5/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    Antman - Quantumania 

Obviously the story is complete nonsense but it romps along with some good action scenes and a few laughs . Also looks stunning in 4K.   Solid 7/10
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I finally got around to watching Annihilation. Wow! Fantastic film, so thought provoking, superb visuals and scenes. Lots to 'unpack', I think it warrants multiple viewings. The flashbacks had a significance that I didn't catch at the time.

I love sci-fi, although I'm not big on sci-fi horror, and the film definitely slips into that at one point. I'm not usually particularly a Natalie Portman fan, but she was damn hot in this, I could really buy into her as a military person.

A couple of spoiler comments:

The bear - I found that second scene scary! Bloody intense! Also, it was a real mental freakout when it used the voice of the other character. Reminded my of that Star Trek (original) episode where the giant android is chasing Kirk through caves, and he calls out with the voice of Kirk's female assistant to lure him. That moment petrified me as a kid!

Also, the scene at the end with the doppelganger - brilliant! That was so engaging, I was fascinated by it.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The 2022 sequel in a never ending series. The original Tobe Hooper film creeped me out, but in a good way as I do like a good claustrophobic slasher pic. This one has zero atmosphere, you could sense the jumpshocks coming hours in advance and the characters might as well have been cardboard cutouts for all their acting skills. Plus it has all the usual plot holes…. but this time in spades. The FX are pretty good, but that’s about its only saving grace. Don’t bother, unless you’re trying to collect the set. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Brilliant. I also cried like a baby at two key scenes. It's like this generation's version of Bambi.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    edited July 2023
    axisus said:
    I finally got around to watching Annihilation. Wow! Fantastic film, so thought provoking, superb visuals and scenes. Lots to 'unpack', I think it warrants multiple viewings. The flashbacks had a significance that I didn't catch at the time.

I love sci-fi, although I'm not big on sci-fi horror, and the film definitely slips into that at one point. I'm not usually particularly a Natalie Portman fan, but she was damn hot in this, I could really buy into her as a military person.
    This rings bells, I'm sure I've seen this - in fact I know I have, the bit described in the hidden section convinces me.  I thought it was good but I didn't quite get it, if you know what I mean.  

Your observation that it warrants multiple viewings is probably valid and I'd probably understand a lot more the second time round.  I seem to recall the ending was a bit ambiguous, for want of a better word. I hate films that force the viewer to decide the ending, when Leo walked away from the coin in Inception, it drove me bonkers.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    I also just watched Annihilation - really enjoyed it. 
    Started watching the CLoverfield Paradox - I like a bit of spaceship stuff, so far so good
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Disney+)

Absolute hogwash.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, the 70's version starring Donald Sutherland (back when he was choosing good roles) and Brooke Adams. I'd forgotten how good this film is, the cinematography by Michael Chapman (he shot Taxi Driver) is lush, all the acting is first rate and the update from 50's paranoia to 70's angst works really well. Cool movie.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    The Fall of the House of Usher (1960)

Talking Pictures

X rated in 1960, adaptation of a Poe story. It’s very staged, the language is very flowery although I don’t know if any of it is lifted from the original story. I’m not sure I was frightened at any point although it was a bit creepy. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    The new Indiana Jones - the worst one in the series , overlong and a tired at times but still an enjoyable romp. Phoebe Whatsherface is good as is the For You era Prince lookalike 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2270
    The Fall of the House of Usher (1960)

Talking Pictures

X rated in 1960, adaptation of a Poe story. It’s very staged, the language is very flowery although I don’t know if any of it is lifted from the original story. I’m not sure I was frightened at any point although it was a bit creepy. 
    I can't see that film without thinking Lindisfarne would have done it better.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12887
    Philly_Q said:

Absolute hogwash.

Even for a film about a man who can shrink to the size of an ant and parallel universes?
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2507
    edited July 2023

Thoroughbreds

Crime / darkly comic thriller
    movie 2017 Film 4

Set in an exclusive and exceptionally wealthy Connecticut neighbourhood, Amanda (Olivia Cooke) and Lily (Anya Taylor-Joy) are estranged childhood friends, brought together under the pretext of parent-arranged extra study, the two are cold at first but begin to establish a deeper connection.

One girl has a condition where she has no feelings or empathy to the point where she put down her own horse with a knife and the other harbours a deep hatred of her cold arrogant and manipulative stepfather and a distaste for her mentally and physically absent mother.  Together they begin to hatch a deeply flawed impulsive Hitchcockian plan.

Superb enigmatic performances and a patient / slow good looking direction make this a quietly engaging and compelling. Recommended.

8/10
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890

I'm currently working my way through the Alien movies and have got up to number three.

My god, I'd forgotten what a stinking pile of dog tod it is. Shonky acting, even worse special effects and zero tension. Been a while since I watched Resurrection and can't really remember it, so hoping it's a marked improvement. Not holding my breath though.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    munckee said:
    Philly_Q said:

Absolute hogwash.

Even for a film about a man who can shrink to the size of an ant and parallel universes?
    Yes, definitely.