What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 569
    I watched Jojo Rabbit (Disney+) for the first time last night. How did this slip under my radar? What a glorious, beautiful, and hilarious film. Easy 8/10 for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    Train to Busan

korean zombie horror.  World War Z but on a train

bloody excellent. 

10/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14035
    mgaw said:
    Train to Busan

korean zombie horror.  World War Z but on a train

bloody excellent. 

10/10

Yes it's absolutely brilliant!
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    To Sir With Love (GREAT Movies)

Sidney Poitier is superb in a 60's film about a black teacher getting to grips with a class of Eastend kids in their final year at school.

I've seen it many times before, even studied the book for my English O'Level back in the '80's, and it's always a great watch.

You know you've enjoyed a film when you care about the characters in it. This is one of those, even if it is a bit corny at times.

9/10
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    Hitman

Film 4 

Bollocks on so many levels but relatively short and stomps along. 

Hitman Agent 47

Disney Star

Reboot rather than sequel or remake. Still bollocks on so many levels although glossier looking bollocks and still stomps along. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

A solid 10/10 for me. One of the all time greats. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Haych said:
    axisus said:
    I finally got around to watching Annihilation. Wow! Fantastic film, so thought provoking, superb visuals and scenes. Lots to 'unpack', I think it warrants multiple viewings. The flashbacks had a significance that I didn't catch at the time.

I love sci-fi, although I'm not big on sci-fi horror, and the film definitely slips into that at one point. I'm not usually particularly a Natalie Portman fan, but she was damn hot in this, I could really buy into her as a military person.
    This rings bells, I'm sure I've seen this - in fact I know I have, the bit described in the hidden section convinces me.  I thought it was good but I didn't quite get it, if you know what I mean.  

Your observation that it warrants multiple viewings is probably valid and I'd probably understand a lot more the second time round.  I seem to recall the ending was a bit ambiguous, for want of a better word. I hate films that force the viewer to decide the ending, when Leo walked away from the coin in Inception, it drove me bonkers.

Worth watching again, and it's also one of those films that benefits from reading an analysis about it afterwards. 

I'm currently working my way through the Alien movies and have got up to number three.

My god, I'd forgotten what a stinking pile of dog tod it is. Shonky acting, even worse special effects and zero tension. Been a while since I watched Resurrection and can't really remember it, so hoping it's a marked improvement. Not holding my breath though.

Alien 3 really was terribly poor. The one after is better, but I think that Alien is all about the first two films.
    Life - space film. Quite enjoyed it, very derivative of Alien in terms of plot. It was 'OK' I guess but one of those films I think you only ever need to watch once. Score, well IMDB gives it 6.6/10. Seems about right.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    Babysitter Must Die (Amazon Prime)

Babysitter (and overaged "Mustard Seed" girl guide) Josie fights back when her employer's house is invaded by crazed members of an end-of-days cult, searching for.... a something-or-other.  Which is in the house.  I think.

As soon as I started watching this I realised I'd seen it before, but carried on watching as I didn't remember much about it (and it's only 75 minutes long).  It's a sort of micro-budget You're Next, and as the title suggests it's intended as comedy-horror.  The comedy aspects fail miserably but the serious bits work better, although I suspect it's actually more serious than the filmmakers intended.  Overall, it's not bad, but there are a couple of scenes - including a Marvel-style end credits sequence - which are so terrible they almost derail the whole film.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25573

I'm currently working my way through the Alien movies and have got up to number three.

My god, I'd forgotten what a stinking pile of dog tod it is. Shonky acting, even worse special effects and zero tension. Been a while since I watched Resurrection and can't really remember it, so hoping it's a marked improvement. Not holding my breath though.

The director’s cut is a lot better.

Still suffers from the endless behind the scenes nonsense though.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Whilst the original film was a masterpiece, and scared me shitless, my favourite is ‘Alien 3, Director’s Cut.’

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    axisus said:

Alien 3 really was terribly poor. The one after is better, but I think that Alien is all about the first two films.
    Both the Alien and Terminator franchises are infinitely improved by refusing to acknowledge the existence of any films beyond the first two.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:

Both the Alien and Terminator franchises are infinitely improved by refusing to acknowledge the existence of any films beyond the first two.  
    Whilst I kind of agree, both second films although good, damaged the brilliance of the originals.
    Whilst the original film was a masterpiece, and scared me shitless, my favourite is ‘Alien 3, Director’s Cut.’
    It’s an easy mistake to make, your finger slipped while typing and you didn’t notice that you had accidentally typed a 3. We’ve all done similar at some point.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Rocket Man. A wee bit overproduced and sometimes too arty dahling for its own good but Taron Egerton makes a great Fat Reg and it’s quite amusing in places. So, all good overall and a solid 6/10. 
    I watched Twelve monkeys again. Such a great film. Bruce Willis is superb and it's a very good story. It has a strange ambiguous ending, but I suppose that's typical Terry Gilliam. For me the one bit that jars a little is the future world scientists, who are like ridiculous caricatures, but once again, typical Gilliam. 8.5/10 even on repeated viewings.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74502
    UnclePsychosis said:

Both the Alien and Terminator franchises are infinitely improved by refusing to acknowledge the existence of any films beyond the first
    FTFY

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Aliens was a great sequel. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Haych said:
    Aliens was a great sequel. 
    Indeed it was. It managed to ratchet up the scariness, despite us already knowing what the alien looked like and how it killed.