What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Monster Hunter. Netflix. I was looking for something mindless to watch last night. I think somebody already mentioned that it’s utter bollocks. 

And they were right. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    The Lost City -  Sandra Bullock , Channing Tatum, Brad Pitt

Thought this might be a reasonable way to spend a couple of  hours as the cast is great . I stuck with it for about 30 mins but eventually had to turn it off. Absolute garbage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Extraction 2 Netflix

If you liked Extraction, you will like this, if you didn’t, then move along…

Similar preposterous storyline, with some excellently choreographed fight scenes, all utter baloney, but sooo entertaining (if that’s your thing) 

A bit of escapism when the rest of TV is utter arse gravy
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25568
    I rewatched LA Confidential.

What a cracking film. Brilliant cast, superb script, excellent sets - everything is just spot on.

As near as perfect as a film can be. My second favourite film of all time.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810

What a cracking film. Brilliant cast, superb script, excellent sets - everything is just spot on.

Absolutely, its a masterpiece. 

What's your no1?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25568

Absolutely, its a masterpiece. 

What's your no1?
    Kind Hearts and Coronets.

I love it. The subtlety of the script, and that it is genuinely witty, the masterclass from Dennis Price, Alec Guinness, and Joan Greenwood, and that there just isn't anything that could be done better in it.

A pox on the Americans for insisting that the US release have an extra 20 seconds or so to completely change the feel of the ending. Stupid yanks and their claimed morality! Only the UK release exists!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    edited June 2023
    The Retreat (Shudder)

If I had a pound for every horror movie I've seen which opens with a couple, or a group of college assholes, driving to some remote destination in the wilderness, I'd have... several hundred pounds.  And if I had a pound for every horror movie which features aerial shots of forests I'd have... a lot more pounds.

So, this is a super-generic "don't go in the woods" sort-of-slasher movie.  The only difference is that instead of inbred redneck freaks slaughtering randy teens, we have (probably not inbred) redneck homophobes slaughtering LGBTQ+ couples (well, it is Pride month).

This is very boring indeed, apart from a bit at the beginning and a bit at the end, and it's one of those films which takes place mostly in the dark so you've no idea what's going on even if it was any good.

Avoid.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Citadel Starring Richard Madden.

Absolute tosh fight scenes, shaky-cam turned up to 11 and thus my eyes gave up trying to follow what was going on. Watered-down Mission Impossible, do yourself a favour and watch a Peppa Pig movie instead.

1/10 for what little I managed to get through.

• Mosul (Netflix). War movie based on the last Iraqi SWAT team left fighting against ISIS in Mosul as the western forces were leaving. Pretty good. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3828
    Watched a lot of trash recently…. 500 days of Summer was a nice change.  Good soundtrack. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16668
    Dave Allen at Peace

Prime

Fairly brief dramatised account of Dave's life. It's hardly essential viewing but it's an affectionate portrait. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    Frank (2014) seems to be on prime atm, we don't have that.

Not watched recently but was thinking about watching again soon as I have a copy.
    It's not about Frank Sidebottom although it looks like it should be. Pretty black comedy about being in a band.
    I still remember it after several years.

• PoboyPoboy Frets: 432
    Bone Tomahawk

Western horror love story...
    Great cast, great dialogue, gruesome ending. What more could you want?
    8/10
    Amazon Prime
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    Poboy said:
    Bone Tomahawk

8/10
    Amazon Prime
    That one was a bit gruesome even for me.  Good film, but a very hard watch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Thanks @Haych for recommending Living.  Gave it full attention as you recommended and it paid it back ten-fold.  Beautiful tiny story of humanity.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Chalky said:
    Thanks @Haych for recommending Living.  Gave it full attention as you recommended and it paid it back ten-fold.  Beautiful tiny story of humanity.
    You're very welcome, I'm glad it lived up to expectations :)

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Offset said:
    Poboy said:
    Bone Tomahawk

8/10
    Amazon Prime
    That one was a bit gruesome even for me.  Good film, but a very hard watch.
    I think it's better on a second viewing.  The first time it seemed to go on for a very long time without much happening, but I appreciated the build-up more the next time I saw it.

I liked S. Craig Zahler's other two films as well, but he seems to have gone quiet.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12887
    Creed III, generally a big fan of rocky and creed movies - the storyline to this one is a bit too far fetched even compared to other rocky films, they didn't include much of the main fight either.  Its still worth watching, if you like rocky films its fine.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3828
    The Virtuoso

Pile o’ shite 
    edited June 2023
    Prey for the Devil (aka The Devil's Light) (Amazon Prime)

Ann, a young nun, is allowed to attend classes to train as an exorcist - normally the province of male priests only.  It's her life's ambition... but the shadow of past events is constantly hanging over her.

This looks reasonably promising to begin with.  The idea's OK, the setting looks good, there are some familiar faces in the cast (Colin Salmon, Virginia Madsen, a visibly sick Ben Cross).  At first it seems like they're going for ambiguity - is possession a reality, or is it all in the mind?  But the film very quickly descends into overt (and cliched) supernatural territory, and a twist towards the end takes it from silly to utterly ludicrous.  It all feels like a half-decent idea which just wasn't developed properly.  Ho hum.