What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24695
    Does Oppenheimer suffer from the usual Nolan shit audio mix?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72766
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    Timcito said:
    Noah on Netflix. It was made in 2014 and stars Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connolly, Emma Watson, and Anthony Hopkins. 

It's grim Old Testament mythology. Quite compelling but ... grim, as I say, rather like most Old Testament mythology is, as opposed to the Greek, which always seems a lot more fun!
    Imaginative and creative. It had the potential to be great but Emma Watson's awful acting killed it for me.
    With her in: 5/10
    Had she not been cast: 7.5/10
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    Past Lives

Beautiful movie. It takes an adult with a degree of patience and sensitivity to appreciate this movie. Not a single scene nor piece of dialogue wasted. Nice soundtrack too.

9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23270
    Past Lives

Beautiful movie. It takes an adult with a degree of patience and sensitivity to appreciate this movie. Not a single scene nor piece of dialogue wasted. Nice soundtrack too.

Oh well, no point me trying to watch it then.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 819
    Timcito said:
    Noah on Netflix. It was made in 2014 and stars Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connolly, Emma Watson, and Anthony Hopkins. 

It's grim Old Testament mythology. Quite compelling but ... grim, as I say, rather like most Old Testament mythology is, as opposed to the Greek, which always seems a lot more fun!
    Imaginative and creative. It had the potential to be great but Emma Watson's awful acting killed it for me.
    With her in: 5/10
    Had she not been cast: 7.5/10
    She was actually okay for me. I 'believed' her well enough in the role.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5735
    Inglorious Basterds

First viewing. Unlikely to be a second. 

Superb acting, especially from Waltz and Pitt, but I always love Christoph Waltz whatever he’s in. 

Great cinematography, love the way it was shot and directed. 

Story was good, no issues there. 

Don’t think the violence needed to be quite so graphic and it was too long. Many scenes could have been significantly shortened or cut out altogether without affecting the continuity. 

7/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12439
    Poor Things on Disney+ pregnant Emma Stone commits suicide and has her still living baby's brain transplanted into her head by surgeon Willem Dafoe, grows up and learns lots of things about the world, lots of rum sex scenes, amazing set design and performances all round. Mark Buffalo almost steals the show as a reet rampant barnpot. Not a kids film. I loved it, as did Mrs B. 9/10.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6207
    ICBM said:
    Yes.
    It's coming to Now/Sky streaming in a month.

We'll watch with subtitles on, but I expect Nolan has thought of that and will do them as pale grey on a white background.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2376

The Last Right

Movie BBC iPlayer

Irish indie whimsy in which US lawyer returns to his native Cork for Christmas after his mother’s death to chaperone his autistic teenage brother but through a series of events finds himself driving a Volvo estate with a dead body strapped on the top around Ireland accompanied by a quirky mortuary assistant.

Preposterous, only mildly amusing hot water bottle under the jumper Grandma-friendly tosh. Avoid.

5/10
    ICBM said:
    Yes.
    He’s such a tool.

I know ‘art is art’ but would it kill him to put another audio mix on the Blueray?

goldtop said:
    ICBM said:
    Yes.
    It's coming to Now/Sky streaming in a month.

We'll watch with subtitles on, but I expect Nolan has thought of that and will do them as pale grey on a white background.
    I’m not buying Sky related stuff for 1 film. I’ll wait until it lands on a streamer I already have.

I tried to watch Tenet on disk and for some reason the subbies didn’t work so I took it back to the shop. I declined a swap and got a refund.
    edited March 17
    Haych said:
    Inglorious Basterds

......Don’t think the violence needed to be quite so graphic and it was too long. Many scenes could have been significantly shortened or cut out altogether without affecting the continuity. 
    Have you not seen a Tarantino film before? 

One thing which struck me watching Inglourious Basterds - and it's probably true of most of QT's other films as well, if I thought about it - there's really not much of a storyline, no real sense of pacing or gathering momentum. 

It's really just a series of set-pieces in which groups of people sit or stand around and engage in long, long exchanges of smart-arse dialogue, until something explosive happens to end the scene.  Then there's a bit of "story" followed by another long set-piece dialogue scene.  And so on, for two or three hours.  It's worked for him, of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5735
    edited March 17
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    Inglorious Basterds

......Don’t think the violence needed to be quite so graphic and it was too long. Many scenes could have been significantly shortened or cut out altogether without affecting the continuity. 

One thing which struck me watching Inglourious Basterds - and it's probably true of most of QT's other films as well, if I thought about it - there's really not much of a storyline, no real sense of pacing or gathering momentum. 

It's really just a series of set-pieces in which groups of people sit or stand around and engage in long, long exchanges of smart-arse dialogue, until something explosive happens to end the scene.  Then there's a bit of "story" followed by another long set-piece dialogue scene.  And so on, for two or three hours.  It's worked for him, of course.
    Now that you mention it, I don't know that I have.  I think you summed it up quite well.

Edit, had a look at QT movies and it would seem I have seen a couple - Django Unchained, I definitely have, and I recall enjoying that one.  I think I've seen Kill Bill, too.  Wouldn't claim that one was brilliant or anything. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 749
    edited March 17
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    Inglorious Basterds

I always felt pulp fiction was a bit of a patchwork quilt of different scenes stitched together. 

He's got a bit better but I think he probably works better with others. Imo. 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 17

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12113
    edited March 17
    Kurtis said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    Inglorious Basterds

I always felt pulp fiction was a bit of a patchwork quilt of different scenes stitched together. 

He's got a bit better but I think he probably works better with others. Imo. 
    I've always considered QT to be a triumph of form over function.  Don't get me wrong - I like some of his movies.  PF is a clssic, IB is great and so is DU.  But KB 1 & 2.are awful and I gave up on Jackie Brown.  Philly is right - his films don't really go anywhere.   They're really just a series of vignettes, sometimes with fairly tenuous strands connecting them.  He's hugely popular of course and hugely influential, so he must be doing SOMETHING right.  
  • froglordfroglord Frets: 51
    20 Days in Mariupol (Channel 4)

BAFTA- and Oscar- winner for Best Documentary. Very well-made under almost impossible circumstances, it's a film that etches itself onto your brain, whether you want it to or not. Recommended if you want an insight into what it's like to experience an invasion. Steer well clear if you're not feeling pretty robust. There are some very upsetting scenes.
    The Hateful Eight (Amazon Prime)

After the Inglourious Basterds discussion earlier, it seemed like a good day to watch the only Tarantino film I haven't seen.

This one's a Western (with a score by Ennio Morricone, no less), but it's more of the same.  A good (and familiar) cast doing a great deal of talking, interspersed with some pretty graphic violence.  Some of the dialogue is funny, there are a few WTF moments, a couple of shocks (but no surprises).  It's never boring... but after 2 hours and 48 minutes I was really just waiting for it to end.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    edited March 18 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    The Hateful Eight (Amazon Prime)

After the Inglourious Basterds discussion earlier, it seemed like a good day to watch the only Tarantino film I haven't seen.

This one's a Western (with a score by Ennio Morricone, no less), but it's more of the same.  A good (and familiar) cast doing a great deal of talking, interspersed with some pretty graphic violence.  Some of the dialogue is funny, there are a few WTF moments, a couple of shocks (but no surprises).  It's never boring... but after 2 hours and 48 minutes I was really just waiting for it to end.
    You must know about that guitar smashing scene...  That it was a real Martin museum piece (145 years old) and they were meant to cut filming and replace it before the smash but for some reason they didnt. The reaction from the actress that is in the actual film is her real reaction as she was obviously aware. Needless to say. Martin wont be lending out any more guitars for filming.