What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    All Of Us Strangers

Psychological/supernatural drama with Andrew Scott, Paul Mescal, Claire Foy and Jamie Bell. Adam (Scott) has seemingly real meetings with his parents who died in the 1980s when he was a child, and a relationship with his neighbour Harry. Intense and slightly unnerving, but also dreamlike and thought-provoking. Outstanding acting, direction, photography and choice of music.

10/10

(Local cinema)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    Timcito said:
    Fingers657 said:
    I started watching  Guy Ritchie’s Gentleman on Netflix this week.
    It started off OK but has got a bit silly.
    I started it yesterday and watched the first two episodes. It certainly begins well.

Just finished Gentlemen. I thought it was really good, all of it. A good story, some funny and distinctive characters, and an appealing 'grim-tongue-in-cheek' thing going on.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2299
    ICBM said:
    All Of Us Strangers

Psychological/supernatural drama with Andrew Scott, Paul Mescal, Claire Foy and Jamie Bell. Adam (Scott) has seemingly real meetings with his parents who died in the 1980s when he was a child, and a relationship with his neighbour Harry. Intense and slightly unnerving, but also dreamlike and thought-provoking. Outstanding acting, direction, photography and choice of music.

10/10

(Local cinema)

we're all going as a family when my son is back home - looking forward to it. 
    edited March 22

Sicario

2015 movie BBC IPlayer

Emily Blunt stars in this really very well told story of black-ops off-grid FBI teams getting to the big drug lords in US-Mexico borderlands. Blunt's agent character portrayal is perfectly judged as tough and vulnerable as well as appropriately shocked at the medieval violence and suffering of impoverished Mexicans caught up in whole communities of drug rings. Nervy, harrowing and brutal. Great ominous score too.

Excellent stuff.

9/10

Review Denis Villeneuves Sicario Starring Emily Blunt Is A Slow  Building Solid Procedural
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11889
    rze99 said:

Sicario

2015 movie BBC IPlayer

Emily Blunt... 
    Big  slightly left-field act confirmed - Page 2 - Chat - Festival Forums
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 22

Kindling
    Movie iPlayer

Unassuming sensitive movie about male friendship dealing with a young man facing cancer at home with his Mum and Dad in a village while his pals are off at Uni, His friends come back to visit and they try to find a way to deal with the emotional weight and gravity of his situation. Movingly and gently told.

7/10

Kindling Review - Cinerama Film
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 22

The Accountant

2016 Movie Film 4 

Severely autistic man harshly brought up by his ascetic military hard-man father is a damaged soul who is simultaneously a genius savant accountant who is hired by mysterious entities to provide financial services and a martial arts genius.. and a shotgun genius... and an art genius...

Someone thought what a great idea to put together Bourne, Rain Man, Brilliant Mind, Charlies Angels, Bond, martials arts...It's actually a total mess of many ridiculous male movie cliches. and of course, being a Hollywood movie, it must be fundamentally about a father and son relationship. It thinks it's really clever but is just really, really stupid. And Ben Affleck is not remotely convincing as an autistic savant. He just looks thick and blank.

Avoid 4/10

rze99 said:

The Accountant

And Ben Affleck is not remotely convincing as an autistic savant. He just looks thick and blank.

You get my 'sum it up in a sentence' award for this week :-)
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3686
    edited March 22
    Hu xue tu long zhi hong tian xian jing (1993)

Known also as American Dragon or Guns of Dragon.  We got the UK cut DVD.

Basically a huge Hong Kong action film crew and cast decended on New York and Puerto Rico and acquired every squib and machine gun blank on the East Coast to use in this flick.  Great location work…. 

Plot… A retiring Hong Kong cop emigrates to the US to find his old criminal nemesis is there… car chases, boat chases, seaplane and boat chases and huge gun fights and martial arts all wrapped up with crap C list American actors shouting, awful out of synch voiceovers and really badly written subtitles.   The soundtrack is incredibly bad 80s noises.

So totally bad, it’s PERFECTION.

10/10 for those who get it.

• rze99 said:
    ICBM said:
    All Of Us Strangers

10/10

(Local cinema)

we're all going as a family when my son is back home - looking forward to it. 
    Ooof. It's an absolutely tremendous movie, but not sure it'll be a fun filled family night out unless you want to everyone to end up in tears and going home feeling slightly haunted! 
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    Roadhouse (2024)

Is it as good as the original? Well, Jeff Healey's not in it, so no.

But it's great.   Conor McGregor is amazing as an entertaining fucking mental case...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    Gulliver said:
    Roadhouse (2024)

But it's great.   Conor McGregor is amazing as an entertaining fucking mental case...
    It's the presence of McGregor which is really putting me off watching it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7219
    edited March 23
    Ghostbusters Frozen Something or Other

Proper shite unfortunately, weak story , crappy ghosts and too many characters . Dan Ackroyd and Ernie Hudson were good , the Fire Keeper was entertaining but the rest were very forgettable . Poor Bill Murray looked so old that I wasn’t sure whether he was playing a ghost at first 

4 out of 10 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    rze99 said:

Sicario

2015 movie BBC IPlayer

Emily Blunt stars in this really very well told story of black-ops off-grid FBI teams getting to the big drug lords in US-Mexico borderlands. Blunt's agent character portrayal is perfectly judged as tough and vulnerable as well as appropriately shocked at the medieval violence and suffering of impoverished Mexicans caught up in whole communities of drug rings. Nervy, harrowing and brutal. Great ominous score too.

Excellent stuff.

9/10

Review Denis Villeneuves Sicario Starring Emily Blunt Is A Slow  Building Solid Procedural
    I like Emily Blunt a lot, but she looks about as believable in that 'tough-guy/kick-butt' pose as Mickey Mouse would!
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1307
    Gulliver said:
    Roadhouse (2024)

Halfway through and admittedly enjoying it.  CM actually doing a good job of playing a role, which I accept is not a million miles away from his persona.
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 673
    edited March 23
    Tag 2015 (YouTube)
    I watched this a few years ago on bbc, then again recently on YouTube.
    An incomprehensible Japanese horror film, which all comes together at the end. Bonkers or brilliant, I'm not sure.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 682
    edited March 24
    Wonka

Considering it was a musical, which I hadn't realised, I quite enjoyed it. My son seemed to like it too. He usually struggles sit still for a full movie, but was happy to watch it though. 
    Wasn't great, but a fun Saturday night chill. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    Blood Red Sky (Netflix)

Struggling to find something to watch without paying through the nose, so I went for something I've seen before...

Hijackers of a transatlantic flight don't reckon with the fact that one of the passengers is...
    a vampire.

Chaos ensues.

This is slow to gain momentum and there's some pretty ropey acting, but once it gets going it's fucking tremendous.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Gulliver said:
    Roadhouse (2024)

Me too. He's a horrible little arsehole.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Gulliver said:
    Roadhouse (2024)

Me too. He's a horrible little arsehole.
    The opening cgi fight scene almost had me switching off .... woeful. To be fair, there's a lot of unlikeable actors in there.....Billy Magnussen is distinctly very close to unwatchable....

...and yet I saw it through. Gyllenhall carries the whole thing.

5 / 10

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have"