What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 682
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:

Going by the original I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the remake! 
    Whereas Gyllenhaal carries the remake, Jeff Healey carried the original :-)
    I don't really remember him being a big part of it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FURY

Damm good film that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23008
    Brio said:
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:

Whereas Gyllenhaal carries the remake, Sam Elliott carried the original :-)
    Fixed that for you...
    I quite liked the original at the time, but it was on a few months ago and I found it unwatchable.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15574
    re the remake of Roadhouse, it does have to fantastic music in it; if you took away the plot, the action, the shonky acting and just left the music, you'd have something pretty watchable. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11889
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:

He wasn't, but he was the film's sole redeeming feature.
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:

He wasn't, but he was the film's sole redeeming feature.
    Ah yeah I'd agree.

When it came out I'd have been pretty young but I remember it being something my sister wanted to watch and I watched reluctantly. Wouldn't have known who JH was anyway. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24466
    rze99 said:

The Accountant

2016 Movie Film 4 

Severely autistic man harshly brought up by his ascetic military hard-man father is a damaged soul who is simultaneously a genius savant accountant who is hired by mysterious entities to provide financial services and a martial arts genius.. and a shotgun genius... and an art genius...

Someone thought what a great idea to put together Bourne, Rain Man, Brilliant Mind, Charlies Angels, Bond, martials arts...It's actually a total mess of many ridiculous male movie cliches. and of course, being a Hollywood movie, it must be fundamentally about a father and son relationship. It thinks it's really clever but is just really, really stupid. And Ben Affleck is not remotely convincing as an autistic savant. He just looks thick and blank.

Avoid 4/10

I enjoyed that. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11889
    edited March 30
    Red Eye (2005), Netflix

Stars a very young-looking Cillian Murphy as an initially charming and suave airline passenger who befriends a fellow traveller (Rachel McAdams).  His real motivations behind befriending McAdams are soon revealed once they're in flight however.

A very slim Brian Cox also appears as McAdam's father and the whole thing is directed by Wes Craven, so I had fairly high hopes for it.  Sadly it was not to be.  Murphy is very watchable and convincing  as the psychopathic terrorist, Cox is good in  everything he appears in and McAdams was OK.  But the plot is pretty preposterous and just doesn't hold up to close scrutiny.  It cracks along at a good pace but the second half is ridiculous; the final scene is a dumb and misplaced attempt at humour.

5/10

The Guest (2014), Netflix

Basic plot:  ex-soldier David turns up unannounced at the house of a family claiming to be a close army friend of the household son who was killed in Afghanistan.  Charming, polite and convincing, he is invited by the grieving mother to stay with her, her husband and two teenage children for as long as he wishes.  As is blindingly obvious from the start, David isn't what he appears.

This passed 100 minutes reasonably enough but it was all too predictable, the acting was average and the ending was... meh.

Only one of the actors looking vaguely familiar (Lance Reddick) but I had at least heard of the director, Adam Wingard.  His CV supported my view of this movie I'm afraid.

3.5/10
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    edited March 30
    The Collector (1965) with Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar. This was based on the amazing novel by John Fowles (which I've read at least four times!) and tells the story of an uptight, working-class young man who, after winning the pools and buying a secluded country house, kidnaps and imprisons a beautiful middle-class girl with the plan that she should fall in love with him.

I'd seen it before a few times, but I found it still compelling. Films are obviously different from books, though, and the film version understandably reduces the extent and variety of conversational exchanges between the captor and his victim. The split first-person narrator technique (the first half is told by the man, the second by the woman), together with the two characters' unsuccessful attempts to communicate with each other, highlights differences in class, upbringing and education in post-war Britain. The film captures some of this, but what it loses in narrative depth is well compensated by dramatic tension, performance, and visual effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 375
    The Beautiful Game - Netflix

"Mal is the manager of England's homeless football team, taking his players to Rome with the hope of being crowned champions of the Homeless World Cup. He brings with them a talented striker, Vinny, who could give them a real chance at winning."

Stars Bill Nighy as the retired football scout Mal and Michael Ward from Top Boy as Vinny. Based on a real event which happens every year since starting in 2003.

Quite moving in parts, Nighy is excellent as usual. It has a kind of Billy Elliot, Full Monty type vibe imo.
    I really enjoyed it. 8/10.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Ghostbusters After Life

iplayer

Err, it’s not terrible just made more as a children’s film (slightly scary bits, very vague sexual references) than perhaps the other ones in the franchise. Although you’d get slightly more out of it had you seen the original first. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    Godzilla v Kong cinema

no comment

1/10
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    mgaw said:
    Godzilla v Kong cinema

no comment

1/10
    Having seen a trailer for that, its existence makes me fear for the future of cinema and possibly mankind.

Probably needs a Kermode review to make it worthwhile.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4187
    We watched Titanic II the other night - my wife saw it when she was scrolling through trying to find something to watch, and we knew just from the name it was going to be terrible. We weren’t wrong: hilariously bad CGI (the scenes of the ship at sea looked like they were made in MS Paint), ridiculous plot, terrible script - we laughed like idiots all the way through. It was definitely the worst film we’ve ever seen. 0.5/10 as a film, 7/10 for comedy value (but I don’t recommend anyone watches it).
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    edited March 31
    Summit Fever (2022)

A yarn about alpine climbing filmed on a budget that would best be described as a hand me down shoe string.

The plot is absolutely pathetic and beyond predicable- I've seen better school projects.

It is so bad that it's one tragedy away from being a country and western song.

However, the climbing scenes are terrifying in a good way and the photography is epic.

So, the best way to watch this is to ignore the plot and look away if you're scared of heights. Which means it's pointless watching it.

2/10. Horrendous.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2299

Our Ladies

Film4 British movie

A group of Catholic school girls travel to Edinburgh for a choir competition though their main intention is to get pissed meet guys and lose their virginity.

Could have been gritty and riotously funny in the right hands, but it just misfired in all directions, unfortunately. 

4/10 (Based on about an hour before giving up) 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2299

Ben Is Back

Movie 2018 Film 4

Troubled son returns home unannounced Christmas Eve to a wary middle class family. Over-indulgent and scared Mum is determined history will not repeat itself, so she stays with him the whole time, but things go badly wrong.

Strong and nuanced central performances can't mask uneven narrative and credibility of plot developments. 

6/10
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    Top Gear and Top Gun: Maverick.

Enjoyable nonsense with stunning flight scenes. 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Mr Right (2015) Netflix 
    Gotta say I really enjoyed this film. Sam Rockwell is quite brilliant as an eccentric International hit-man who decides in an instant that he has found his soul mate in the scatter brained Martha played by Anna Kendrick.
    Very, very entertaining, funny and violent too. Way better than I was expecting.
    A definite recommendation for a night in.. if your partner is not too squeamish.
    8/10
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1976
    Currently watching Apocalypse Now: Final Cut on BBC2
    Probably the finest film ever made. 11 out of 10

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom