What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24389
    The latest Mission Impossible - "Dead Reckoning".

Absolute shit.

I'd rather watch Jim Davidson make a load of thick gammons laugh on Brighton Pier whilst covered in fire ants (me, not Davidson).
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1975
    edited March 31
    rze99 said:

Top Gun: Maverick

I've seen it before but I watched it again last night, well, when I say I watched it, it's not quite true.
    It is a whole bunch of bollocks but with incredible flying scenes so I just watched those and wound through all the dialogue and lurve scenes they are utter, utter garbage that any GenAI could do better. 
    I've never been a fan of sequels. It smacks of laziness to me. Take a successful film and try and milk it a bit more and a bit more. That approach will never better the original. In the case of Maverick it was so cringeworthy it wouldn't warrant 0/10 for me. The flying scenes do nothing for me. See military fighters every day of the working week and often weekends. I run a combat simulator at work to test the flight control laws me and my team design for the flight computers and know most of the RAF front line pilots. Also you wouldn't fly a fighter using some of those manoeuvres anyway. So that side of things is very much Hollywood BS. Aside from the flying sequences, it comes down to the film itself which is absolutely piss poor in content. No worthy storyline whatsoever. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5667
    Reptile

Slow burn murder investigation type film. Not bad but feels like nothing really happens. The twists don’t seem like twists because it all seems to happen in slow motion. 

Strong performances from Justin Timberlake and Benicio Del Toro, they carry the film mostly, especially Del Toro as the lead investigator on the case. 

6.5/10 Netflix

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 259
    The Terminator. Great fun. Some great build & payoff moments. Even little parts like the way the LAPD officers interact, you then feel it when the detectives get shot. The effects do show its age but I’m happy to suspend belief a little given its 40 years old

Will follow up with T2 shortly & leave it at that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    edited April 1
    The Terminator. Great fun. Some great build & payoff moments. Even little parts like the way the LAPD officers interact, you then feel it when the detectives get shot. The effects do show its age but I’m happy to suspend belief a little given its 40 years old

Classic films for this weekend, when Schwarzenegger says ‘have to love Easter baby.’ 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Classic films for this weekend, when Schwarzenegger says ‘have to love Easter baby.’ 
    Bruce at Christmas, Arnold as Easter? 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7784
    edited April 4
    Poor things

Intense, dreamy, explicit, dark, funny.

If you like Terry Gilliam with some slapstick, philosophy, psychology & horror do watch

8/10

If you like Top Gun Maverick

4/10 cos lots of boobs & some lols
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7784
    edited April 10
    Ingrid goes West

Dark skewering of social media culture with great characters, Aubrey Plaza kills it. Enjoyable.

9/10

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72492
    And the ‘future’ parts of it are set… next year.

It’s an astoundingly good film. There’s not a wasted second, and almost every scene is iconic.

Don’t. I know I may be in a minority on this, but it’s not even close to as good and spoils the perfection of the first film to an extent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JEMJEM Frets: 131
    ICBM said:

Don’t. I know I may be in a minority on this, but it’s not even close to as good and spoils the perfection of the first film to an extent.
    I'm with you on this. The same goes for Aliens.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5667
    Run

Psychological thriller from a director I've never heard of before and actors I've never heard of before.  But, it wasn't awful for all that.

The film starts with the birth of a tiny, presumably premature, baby named Chloe.  It then fast forwards 17 years, Chloe has seemingly grown up into a health challenged but determined teen with a vast list of health issues, including asthma, eczema, and probably most importantly, paralysis from the waist down.

She is determined to attend college but obviously depends on her mother for a lot of things and the two of them seem very close. 

The film is largely just the two of them although it is augmented by other characters here and there.

Chloe begins to become suspicious of her mother when she introduces a new pill into her drug regime but the label on the bottle has her mother's name on the prescription instead of her own.

As she attempts to find out what the new drug is and why her mother is giving it to her, both their lives start to unravel a bit.

6/10 Netflix. Worth a watch but Misery it isn't.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2299
    Devil#20 said:
    rze99 said:

Top Gun: Maverick

I've seen it before but I watched it again last night, well, when I say I watched it, it's not quite true.
    It is a whole bunch of bollocks but with incredible flying scenes so I just watched those and wound through all the dialogue and lurve scenes they are utter, utter garbage that any GenAI could do better. 
    I've never been a fan of sequels. It smacks of laziness to me. Take a successful film and try and milk it a bit more and a bit more. That approach will never better the original. In the case of Maverick it was so cringeworthy it wouldn't warrant 0/10 for me. The flying scenes do nothing for me. See military fighters every day of the working week and often weekends. I run a combat simulator at work to test the flight control laws me and my team design for the flight computers and know most of the RAF front line pilots. Also you wouldn't fly a fighter using some of those manoeuvres anyway. So that side of things is very much Hollywood BS. Aside from the flying sequences, it comes down to the film itself which is absolutely piss poor in content. No worthy storyline whatsoever. 

I run a combat simulator at work to test the flight control laws me and my team design for the flight computers and know most of the RAF front line pilots. 

Well, yes, you know too much. Any film about something you know a lot about is going to be disappointing
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6169
    Monster (cinema), the latest film by Koreeda, who mostly does low-key movies and seems to have a rare skill for finding kids who can act totally naturally (Nobody Knows, etc). Not much to say without giving away the plot, it's something of a puzzle. But if you liked his other stuff, you'll probably like this. Poignantly, it features Ryuchi Sakamoto's last work. 9/10

Voices in the Wind (cinema), another low-key Japanese movie, a road-trip by a teenage girl who hitchhikes across Japan, from Hiroshima to her town in Tohoku. This happens 10 years after she lost her family in the 2011 tsunami. As it's a road movie, so it's all about the places and people she meets and how she deals with her grief. 8/10
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2299

PSA iPlayer has  a couple of classics Apocalypse Now: Final Cut and On The Waterfront

ICBM said:
    And the ‘future’ parts of it are set… next year.

It’s an astoundingly good film. There’s not a wasted second, and almost every scene is iconic.

I can understand that but the scene in T2 when Sarah meets the T800 in the asylum is one of my favourite ever character moments.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72492
    DuploLicks said:

I can understand that but the scene in T2 when Sarah meets the T800 in the asylum is one of my favourite ever character moments.
    There are a few good moments, certainly. But the central concept of the ridiculously implausible shape-shifting liquid metal T1000 just ruins it and can't be got past. The original is actually quite believable once you accept the basic premise of time travel, that's one of the things that makes it so good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24389
    I disagree.  Personally, I found T2 and Aliens to be better films than the originals.  ...but that's the nature of art - it's subjective.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3685
    Alien was a true masterpiece of horror…

Aliens is a great action flick with guns and xenomorphs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Colombiana 

Film 4

Err, I think it’s a bit of a hodge podge. Part gritty gangster thriller, part Mission Impossible nonsense. Plenty of running around shooting though. Apparently there is an alternate edit with even more violence. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3685
    French Connection

Just a great movie… gritty, superbly acted, unhurried & totally immersing for it.  A fave I rewatch every couple of years. 

9/10..