What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    Mother's Day (Netflix)

Former special forces officer Nina, officially recorded as killed in action overseas some 20 years ago, learns that her 17 year old son has been kidnapped from his adoptive parents, and sets out to rescue him.

I must confess, when I watch any subtitled film I have a snobbish tendency to cut it more slack than I would the Hollywood equivalent...  But this Polish thriller is ridiculous sub-Taken nonsense shot in a style which is about 15 years out of date.  It does have some pretty good action scenes though.  The kid looks a lot like a younger Marcus Rashford, which is a bit disorientating.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5667
    The Beautiful Game

Comedy drama, Bill Nighy takes a bunch of down and outs to Italy to play for England in the four-a-side homeless World Cup. 

Based on real experiences. 

Perfect feel good movie to end the long weekend.  And I don’t even like football! 

8/10 Netflix

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    This Beautiful Fantastic

Gentle romantic comedy drama with Tom Wilkinson, Andrew Scott and Jessica Brown Findlay. It’s pleasing enough but really very lightweight, subtly funny but not at all emotive. Wilkinson is the best thing in it, but he’s not really given enough depth to work with. At least it’s not long, but I wouldn’t really bother unless you feel like something to fill an hour and a half.

6/10

(iPlayer)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2299

Their Finest

Movie iPlayer

It's 1940, London, the Blitz. With the country's morale at stake, young Catrin (Gemma Arterton), an untried screenwriter from Ebbw Vale, and a makeshift cast and crew work under fire to make a film to lift the nation's spirits - and inspire America to join the war.

Leading the cast is the self-absorbed over the hill leading actor Ambrose Hilliard (Bill Nighy, who steals every damned scene.... again!), who is persuaded to coach the handsome young American hero who has been 'parachuted' into the acting profession - but that will only be when the script is produced.... and Catrin has to fight her own battles to be taken seriously amongst the jobs-for-the-men war office. 

A very strong cast with a pretty decent script certainly pull off the delicate act of pricking the bigotry of the establishment of the time, stirring the emotions and throwing in a bit of romantic interest.

Easy watching for all and, surprisingly, rather recommended, old chap.

7/10 

edited April 2
    Devil#20 said:
    Top Gun: Maverick 

I've never been a fan of sequels. It smacks of laziness to me. Take a successful film and try and milk it a bit more and a bit more. That approach will never better the original. In the case of Maverick it was so cringeworthy it wouldn't warrant 0/10 for me. The flying scenes do nothing for me. See military fighters every day of the working week and often weekends. I run a combat simulator at work to test the flight control laws me and my team design for the flight computers and know most of the RAF front line pilots. Also you wouldn't fly a fighter using some of those manoeuvres anyway. So that side of things is very much Hollywood BS. Aside from the flying sequences, it comes down to the film itself which is absolutely piss poor in content. No worthy storyline whatsoever. 
    The Accountant (Netflix)

I work in accounting five days a week and often at weekends.  Ben Affleck's so-called accountant character doesn't even make proper use of Microsoft Excel, never mind the cornucopia of excellent, labour-saving proprietary software available to the accounting profession nowadays.  Also I can safely say that neither I nor any of my colleagues are involved in brutal martial arts battles or assassinations.  I can't even recall a time that anyone has brought guns to the office.  Totally unrealistic.

0/10
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Top Gun: Maverick 

I've never been a fan of sequels. It smacks of laziness to me. Take a successful film and try and milk it a bit more and a bit more. That approach will never better the original. In the case of Maverick it was so cringeworthy it wouldn't warrant 0/10 for me. The flying scenes do nothing for me. See military fighters every day of the working week and often weekends. I run a combat simulator at work to test the flight control laws me and my team design for the flight computers and know most of the RAF front line pilots. Also you wouldn't fly a fighter using some of those manoeuvres anyway. So that side of things is very much Hollywood BS. Aside from the flying sequences, it comes down to the film itself which is absolutely piss poor in content. No worthy storyline whatsoever. 
    The Accountant (Netflix)

I work in accounting five days a week and often at weekends.  Ben Affleck's so-called accountant character doesn't even make proper use of Microsoft Excel, never mind the cornucopia of excellent, labour-saving proprietary software available to the accounting profession nowadays.  Also I can safely say that neither I nor any of my colleagues are involved in brutal martial arts battles or assassinations.  I can't even recall a time that anyone has brought guns to the office.  Totally unrealistic.

0/10
    There's always time.

Mr Jones

BBC IPlayer

Movie based on the true story of the determined British journalist Gareth Jones, who uncovers the truth of the miracle success of the Soviet economy hides the reality of a devastating famine ('Holodomor') in which millions died in Ukrainian Republic, then part of the Soviet Union.

A reminder -  if we needed one - about the need for heroic journalism to uncover terrible deeds.

A tale for our times. Again.

Very good.

8/10

rze99 said:

Mr Jones

BBC IPlayer

Movie based on the true story of the determined British journalist Gareth Jones, who uncovers the truth of the miracle success of the Soviet economy is in fact the reality of a devastating deliberate famine ('Holodomor') in which millions died in Ukrainian Republic, then part of the Soviet Union. 

A reminder -  if we needed one - about the need for heroic journalism to uncover terrible deeds.

A tale for our times. Again.

Very good.

8/10

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6709
    edited April 3
    The Killing of Two Lovers. Robert Machoian 2020

This has been on my watch list for a while and tonight I finally got to watch it. 

It's a tale of a family. The parents met in high school, had a daughter as teenagers and then three more younger children and are now breaking up. The father David is trying to hold the family together and is struggling with his relationships with his wife, the kids, and his wife's lover. 

It's excellent. Emotional, powerful, claustrophobic. Every performance is excellent, each shot is detailed in writing, improvising, framing, narrative, character building, economy and direction. 

Almost completely flawless, not a single wasted shot, word or moment. It's 80 minutes long and contains more human journey than most 3hr long films. A real snapshot of real life. 

9.5/10
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10258
    Did anyone see Late Night With The Devil? Great horror, instant classic.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308

Not seen it yet, waiting for it to go to streaming. Looking forward to it, the trailer looks ace. Glad to hear it's great though.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 364
    I found Poor Things really good. not the fastest paced movie for my tastes but very interesting story arc. Ruffalo plays rather well. Eager to watch Godzilla minus one when it comes on streaming
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10258
    edited April 4
    Catthan said:
    I found Poor Things really good. not the fastest paced movie for my tastes but very interesting story arc. Ruffalo plays rather well. Eager to watch Godzilla minus one when it comes on streaming
    Yea it was excellent. 

Not seen it yet, waiting for it to go to streaming. Looking forward to it, the trailer looks ace. Glad to hear it's great though.

It's not necessary to watch in the cinema, and I had to tell a few teenagers to shut the fuck up, but it's great. It would make an excellent play. 

Have a read up on Bohemian Grove before you watch it. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10436
    Zone of Interest

This film shadows the life of Rudolf Hoss, the commandant of Auschwitz. His house was just outside the camps walls, right next to it. We don't see what goes on in the camp but we build a picture from sounds and implied information.

Having recently been there and Birkenau I recognised the surroundings.

I like the way this film is done. It's quite different. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Saw it at the London Film Festival last year, I agree it's excellent. and the '70s style is perfect.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11878
    edited April 4
    Philly_Q said:
    Saw it at the London Film Festival last year, I agree it's excellent. and the '70s style is perfect.
    Oooh that sounds right up my street.  A perusal of the plot puts me in mind of the Creepshow TV reboot episode in which Bob Ross took on The Evil Dead.  It was bloody brilliant.

* EDIT - LNWTD is available on Shudder from Friday April 19th.  Calendar entry made.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1126
    Rebel Moon (Netflix).  A lot of hype but I wasn't impressed at all.  Just another rehash of Seven Samurai.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Rebel Moon (Netflix).  A lot of hype but I wasn't impressed at all.  Just another rehash of Seven Samurai.
    I thought it was very poor. Seems to have taken every cliche and copied scenes from many other films, Star Wars notably. Disappointed.

Enjoyed Spaceman. Very good. Sandler was excellent, as was the spider
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3685
    edited April 5
    Iron Sky…

Watching this one again. 

The Nazis set up a base on the dark side of the moon in 1945 and now they are planning to come back!  

It's exactly as mad as you’d expect.   Underrated on IMDB.  Solid satire.

8/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11878
    Iron Sky…

Watching this one again. 

The Nazis set up a base on the dark side of the moon in 1945 and now they are planning to come back!  

It's exactly as mad as you’d expect.   Underrated on IMDB.  Solid satire.

8/10

Immediately added to my watchlist.  Did you watch it on a streaming service (and if so, which one)?