What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 676
    Kurtis said:
    Willy Wonka

Considering it was a musical, which I hadn't realised, I quite enjoyed it. My son seemed to like it too. He usually struggles sit still for a full movie, but was happy to watch it though. 
    Wasn't great, but a fun Saturday night chill. 
    Forgot to mention Hugh grant, who was the star of the show. 
    He's been excellent since he stopped doing the romcom character. He was probably excellent at that too tbf just not my cuppa. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2299
    edited March 24
    Donkey Punch

Movie 2008 Film 4

Set in the going-to-the Med-to-party '90s, three up-for-it girls from Leeds are picked up by seemingly ok guys and invited on a luxury yacht they've been crewing.

Sun, music, booze, drugs and bravado lead to sex and then things go very wrong and very dark. As they realise the enormity of the shit they are all in their personalities and judgement start to unravel and things get exceptionally nasty.

Recommended but not an easy watch and don't watch it if your daughter is about to go on holiday.

7/10
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11874
    ^^ I think Gyllenhall is a great actor and a likeable chap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 849
    Finally got round to watching Top Gun Maverick last night.

It totally delivered on the gung-ho, cheesy, predictable all-American, paper-thin plot so no surprises there then ... but the reason I watch these types of film in the first place is for the flying scenes. It's fantastic ... some of that cinematography just blew me away :+1: 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11874
    edited March 24
    stufisher said:

It totally delivered on the gung-ho, cheesy, predictable all-American, paper-thin plot so no surprises there then ... but the reason I watch these types of film in the first place is for the flying scenes. It's fantastic ... some of that cinematography just blew me away 1 
    Ha ha!  So did I as it was on FO4 and I had nothing better to do.  Macho, gung-ho Hollywood bollocks, and Cruise's dyed barnet stole every scene it was in.

9/10.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 24
    I watched Tom Cruise flying fighter jets in Top Gun Maverick yesterday afternoon on Netflix .
    Has Tom ever made a film where he doesn’t have a running about scene ?
    Noticed it was on Channel 4 last night .
  • stufisher said:

It totally delivered on the gung-ho, cheesy, predictable all-American, paper-thin plot so no surprises there then ... but the reason I watch these types of film in the first place is for the flying scenes. It's fantastic ... some of that cinematography just blew me away :+1: 
    I was playing a pub gig last night and they had it showing on one of the TVs behind the bar, must have come on after the footie finished. Couldn't help watching it while playing! 

Unfortunately, we don't have Danger Zone as part of our setlist - that could have been epic!  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    I watched Tom Cruise flying fighter jets in Top Gun Maverick yesterday afternoon on Netflix .
    Has Tom ever made a film where he doesn’t have a running about scene ?
    Noticed it was on Channel 4 last night .
    I watched American Made last night. The only running he does is drugs and guns, does that count?

Quite a decent caper about a TWA pilot who switches to flying for the cartels. 7/10. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23001
    edited March 24
    I saw Top Gun: Maverick a few months ago, although I've still never seen the original.

The thing which struck me is that it really knows its audience, assumes they will not be coming to the film "cold" and will just accept a load of non-existent back story and references to the previous film, entirely without explanation.  It sort of goes beyond its own boundaries into a "Top Gun World" outside of the film.

I gather the scene with Goose Jr, or whatever he's called, playing the piano is a direct re-hash of a scene from Top Gun, which is totally ludicrous but clearly works.  As far as I know the Jennifer Connelly character wasn't in the original but we just take it as read she's an old flame, she has a kid, blah blah blah, no explanation at all.  And the soppy scene with Val Kilmer isn't really about Iceman as much as it's about Kilmer himself and his own health issues.  These aren't criticisms really, I think it's quite bold that they adopted this approach. 

The film itself is OK, I don't personally find flying sequences any more exciting than I find ridiculous car chases in Fast & Furious movies, the plot's non-existent and the characters are throwaway cardboard cut-outs, but it's entertaining hokum and it certainly works.  As I said, it knows its audience, perhaps better than any other film I can think of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    stufisher said:

Check out Masters Of The Air for more excellent flying scenes (and wafer thin plot).
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2299
    edited March 24

Top Gun: Maverick

I've seen it before but I watched it again last night, well, when I say I watched it, it's not quite true.
    It is a whole bunch of bollocks but with incredible flying scenes so I just watched those and wound through all the dialogue and lurve scenes they are utter, utter garbage that any GenAI could do better. 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    stufisher said:

It totally delivered on the gung-ho, cheesy, predictable all-American, paper-thin plot so no surprises there then
    It was for this reason that I've avoided Star Wars (all of 'em!) and Top Gun, together with all the incarnations of Diehard and Lethal WeaponThat kind of square-jawed American hero thing was good in Westerns when I was growing up, but it got old really fast.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4672
    Road house 2024 version 
    Not a patch on the original but killed a couple of hours on a Saturday night 

mrs has never seen the original and thought it was quite entertaining 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3685
    Lebarque said:
    stufisher said:

Check out Masters Of The Air for more excellent flying scenes (and wafer thin plot).
    If you want great navy jet flying sequences.. The Final Countdown is the best… 

https://youtu.be/9scmFAxnWRU?feature=shared 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1307
    SRich said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Gulliver said:
    Roadhouse (2024)

Is it as good as the original? Well, Jeff Healey's not in it, so no.

But it's great.   Conor McGregor is amazing as an entertaining fucking mental case...
    It's the presence of McGregor which is really putting me off watching it.
    Me too. He's a horrible little arsehole.
    The opening cgi fight scene almost had me switching off .... woeful. To be fair, there's a lot of unlikeable actors in there.....Billy Magnussen is distinctly very close to unwatchable....

...and yet I saw it through. Gyllenhall carries the whole thing.

5 / 10

I thought it got worse and worse throughout the unnecessarily long runtime.

Some of the jankiest VFX I have seen in any movie in a while, but it's really more the fact that I didn't care much about what happened to anyone.

The original is a classic.  This is an absolute dud carried, indeed, by Gyllenhall.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    Roadhouse.. absolute garbage! And that’s coming someone who generally loves action movies. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    We've also watched Roadhouse last night.
    With brain switched off - it was quite entertaining but McGregor was totally unnecessary... 
    I'm not a fan of his but I get that he was supposed to pretty much play himself... sadly, he was so over the top.
    Mere 4/10 for the whole thing. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3517
    A really good short if you have a few minutes to watch.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Dune Part 2

I enjoyed the first one, but this dragged for me. It looks great, sounds great, but it just trudges along with no jeopardy - he's the messiah, he's obviously not going to fail! I thought there were too many combat sequences, both massive war scenes, and those stupid chop-socky Marvel-type fights that are ever-present in films these days - and very little subtlety. Oh, and famous actors for the sake of having famous actors.

It also felt like there were deus ex-machinas everywhere when needed. (Off the top of my head....The uninhabitable south held millions of Fremen all wanting to fight for Paul. The cast could just walk into the bunker full of atomic missiles which the Harkonnens couldn't. Paul could obviously drink the sandworm blood, because, well he's the messiah. I don't remember the book being that clunky.)
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2643
    Although those are all details from the book, aren't they?