What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2437
    Emp_Fab said:
    'Pride' - The 2014 comedy-drama about a group of LGBT activists in London who supported the miners in the 1984 strike.

Stars Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton, Dominic West, Paddy Considine among others.

I've seen it before but it's a fabulous film - gets 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's funny, poignant, inspiring and uplifting.

Don't let the subject matter put you off - watch it.  I promise you you will be glad you did.
    I enjoyed it too except I just couldn’t believe in Dominic West’s campfest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1021
    Offset said:
    Timcito said:

Some films are so stupid they defy reason. Cabin in the Woods, directed by Joss Whedon. is one such. It's a kind of horror-fantasy-gore extravaganza which satisfies on no discernible level. Ridiculous is the best word for it from the basement in which I'm sitting!  
    Ha ha!  One of my favourite movies of the genre!
    Oh no! I am sorry - maybe I watched it with the wrong mindset.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12894
    ^^ Don't apologise Tim - horses for courses 'n' all that :-)
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2437
    edited July 20
    Johnny English Strikes Again (2018)
    comedy / spoof

I watched this on Friday night after the day of the "Worlds Worst IT Mass Outage!". After a long work day of pain and misery I wanted something light to have a couple of strong drinks with and, as it's Rowan Atkinson,  I knew there'd be at least one Aston Martin to drool over.

Little did I know that the script premise was prescient.

A mass cyberattack reveals the identities of all active undercover agents in Britain, leaving Johnny English as the secret service's last hope. Called out of retirement, English dives headfirst into action with the mission to find the mastermind hacker and presumed causer of multiple high profile cyber attacks on key infrastructure. As a man with few skills and analogue methods, Johnny English must overcome the challenges of modern technology to make this mission a success.

Plot Spoiler:

It turns out that the world's most important cyber defence company CEO  is..... the cyber attacker disabling key infrastructure!!!!

Silly nonsense with the occasional snigger.

5/10

9/10 for the Aston Martin. it would have been a 10, but, sorry, red is NOT the right colour for a vintage V8 Vantage.

PS Bond level girl in nice outfits is pleasing on the eye.

Johnny English Strikes Again

Hellboy: Blood & Iron (2007), Prime.

Animation with Ron Perlman, John Hurt, Peri Gilpin.  Absolutely brilliant.

10/10.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1372
    Skywalkers (2024) Netflix

A look at the lives of two young people who like to go to the tops of tall structures and take photos.  It's interesting, feels very dramatised with the "one last job and we're done" type stuff. 

It's a well made windo into a "sport" that few understand though.  I still don't get it really but they do take some amazing pictures.  For me the problem is that the climbing itself is not difficult at all really, most is designed to be climbed by normal maintenance people, albeit with fall protection.  There is a moment where one of them says "nobody has seen this" and there is a raft of different infrastructure bits and bobs which people have been up there installing. 

Anyway, worth a watch. 

7/10
    Offset said:
    ^^ Don't apologise Tim - horses for courses 'n' all that :-)
    I guess so!
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 422
    edited July 21
    The Skin Of The Wolf - Netflix
    In Spanish, English subtitles, barely any dialogue to read.

spoilers lie within the wiki link obvs...

Good 9/10 for me while everything was quiet.

A bit rapey in parts, still an excellent film.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Weird: the Al Yankovic Story

Prime

Well, very much does what it says on the tin. It's weird. 
    I had presumed it was an WAY biopic which it is but, well, a parody of a biopic for someone who made parodies. It is dragged out well beyond the breaking point of the joke but Daniel Radcliffe is very watchable in the main role. 
    Jack Black playing, well probably doesn't matter what the role is supposed to be it's very much just Jack Black. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73539
    Philly_Q said:
    Lord Of Misrule (Shudder)

Rebecca, her husband Henry and daughter Grace have recently moved to an idyllic English village where Rebecca has been appointed as the local vicar.  All's fine until Grace disappears during the harvest festival... and the "friendly" locals seem to be doing their best to prevent her being found.

This couldn't be more Folk Horror if it tried... quaint little cottages, misty fields, pagan rituals, annoying folk songs, creepy masked figures, a clash between Christianity and an older, darker religion.  Ralph Ineson adds a touch of class and commitment as the leading antagonist.  The film gets nearly everything right... but to me it feels like like it's all over-familiar and they're just trying too hard.  It's worth a watch though, you might like it more than I did.
    Sounds like it’s at least heavily inspired by The Wicker Man…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Lord Of Misrule (Shudder)

Rebecca, her husband Henry and daughter Grace have recently moved to an idyllic English village where Rebecca has been appointed as the local vicar.  All's fine until Grace disappears during the harvest festival... and the "friendly" locals seem to be doing their best to prevent her being found.

This couldn't be more Folk Horror if it tried... quaint little cottages, misty fields, pagan rituals, annoying folk songs, creepy masked figures, a clash between Christianity and an older, darker religion.  Ralph Ineson adds a touch of class and commitment as the leading antagonist.  The film gets nearly everything right... but to me it feels like like it's all over-familiar and they're just trying too hard.  It's worth a watch though, you might like it more than I did.
    Sounds like it’s at least heavily inspired by The Wicker Man…
    It would probably work a lot better if there was no such thing as The Wicker Man, but it's like an elephant in the room.
  • Alien (1979)

Saw the latest trailer for the new one due later this year, so thought I'd go back to the start and make my way through from the start.

Unsurprisingly, the original is still an absolute stone cold classic. Fantastic ratcheting up of the tension like any great horror movie, and just so many iconic scenes, individual shots and lines.

10/10

Gonna watch Aliens and maybe Alien³, then Prometheus and possibly Covenant . All the others can get fucked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15985
    Alien (1979)

Saw the latest trailer for the new one due later this year, so thought I'd go back to the start and make my way through from the start.

Unsurprisingly, the original is still an absolute stone cold classic. Fantastic ratcheting up of the tension like any great horror movie, and just so many iconic scenes, individual shots and lines.

10/10

Gonna watch Aliens and maybe Alien³, then Prometheus and possibly Covenant . All the others can get fucked.
    a movie with not one wasted minute, from start to finish a stone cold classic.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 22
    I saw the original Phantom of the Opera starring Lon Chaney Sr, the other night.

One thing that struck me about it in comparison with later talking versions is just how frighteningly dreamlike and surrealistic many of the scenes in this silent version are. There are moments like tableaux which remain with the viewer long after the film is over, like the image of the phantom's shadow cast against a wall as he speaks to Christine for the first time, the demasking scene in the catacombs, the phantom dressed as death in a broad-brimmed hat descending the staircase of the opera house, and when he hangs above the two unaware lovers at the top of the opera house, his cloaks swirling about him and his scorched skull face twisted in the torment of betrayal.

Perhaps it owed something to the experimental period in art which took place in the 1920s. For me, at any rate, it had a nightmarish power which eluded the later more prosaic versions.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 400
    edited July 22
    Twisters.

Enjoyable enough action movie with excellent special effects but sadly the plot was paper thin and Daisy Edgar Jones American accent comes and goes.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• BrioBrio Frets: 2008
    Was there a flying cow?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7943
    Alien (1979)

10/10

Like me you may find Aliens disappointing. It's basically a shoot em up 80's action movie.

I wish they'd have done an coherent Prometheus, it had such potential.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I love both Alien and Aliens - both brilliant but in totally different ways.  Alien3 is awful, Resurrection isn't a whole load better, Prometheus is significantly flawed but I like it now after many viewings -  and Covenant has its' moments but ultimately has just too many flaws to make it anything other than a failure.

I'm really looking forward to Romulus.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 422
    The Skin Of The Wolf - Netflix

Better than The Revenant IMHO, Spanish with subtitles although dialogue is minimal. A bit 'Rapey' in parts.

I watched it alone on a very quiet night. Solid 9/10 for me. Not one to watch while people chat.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    @Jfingers have you watched it twice in two days?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom