Kirk’s off to Gibson

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4149
    TINMAN82 said:
    His late 70s black Flying V is the most obvious one. I suspect a USA version and limited, relic custom shop too. Could be tempted actually.
    Didn't they already do one a few years back, or am I just imagining things?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    edited July 2021
    I don’t understand it - Kirk is a big esp guy and he’s now with Gibson ?
    james was a big Gibson guy and they signed Kirk?
    Have you seen Some Kind of Monster? 

I know who I’d rather deal with.

The mild mannered hippy who enjoys sitting under trees. 

Or the narcissist who who goes to Russia to shoot a bear, while getting upset about missing his kid’s birthday. 

James is a fantastic guitarist, but appears to be an absolute dick of a human. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3056
    There was some bad blood between him and Gibson so Hetfield stopped using Gibsons live. Not entirely sure what it was about but may have been something to do with his Les Paul Iron Cross
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1304
    edited July 2021
    CHRISB50 said:

I know now who I’d rather deal with.

Or the narcissist who who goes to Russia to shoot a bear, while getting upset about missing his kid’s birthday. 

The best/worst thing about Some Kind of Monster is that the band members were so lacking in self awareness that they green lit its release. It’s almost like they became famous in their late teens and part of them never really developed beyond that.

Hetfield strops around backstage like a spoilt child, then puts on his guitar, goes on stage and turns into this monster of rock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AornicAornic Frets: 476

I have an ESP KH-2 that I bought in 2007 and it was my only guitar for years through my metal days. Great guitar, but I suppose not one quite suited to blues - which is a direction he seems to be veering himself. He pulls out the Peter Green Les Paul on the slower or more "rock" numbers.

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    It’s an awful film. They’re awful people. Kirk seems happy to keep out of it and be an”employee”
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    CHRISB50 said:

I know now who I’d rather deal with.

The best/worst thing about Some Kind of Monster is that the band members were so lacking in self awareness that they green lit its release. It’s almost like they became famous in the late teens and part of them never really developed beyond that.

Hetfield strops  around backstage like a spoilt child, then puts on his guitar, goes on stage and turns into this monster of rock.
    It's an awkward watch in places, in a rubbernecking a car crash kind of way.

James's lack of self awareness can only be trumped by Lars's. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    In ten years Hetfield will probably be indistinguishable from Ted Nugent.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14506
    Seziertisch said: 
    Hetfield strops around backstage like a spoilt child, then puts on his guitar, goes on stage and turns into this monster of rock.
    Chop a line, now.

CHRISB50 said: 
    James's lack of self awareness can only be trumped by Lars's. 
    Snort it up, now.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Have you see the backstage set up? They have an entire truck just for the backstage flightcases? 
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3767
    Still trailing behind Dave Mustaine, eh?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    getting Kirk Hammett is a big deal for Gibson, but imagine if they could land Hetfield - Custom Shop White and Black Explorers with the custom inlays....they'd sell shitloads

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    I simply don't understand sig models.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    getting Kirk Hammett is a big deal for Gibson, but imagine if they could land Hetfield - Custom Shop White and Black Explorers with the custom inlays....they'd sell shitloads
    Exactly !! Les Paul customs , explorers v ‘s , the lot !! And all the old school metallers like me who don’t like anything past 1990 would buy them !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    octatonic said:
    It when a guitar manufacturer and an artist work together to release a guitar associated with that artist ;-) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    octatonic said:
    It when a guitar manufacturer and an artist work together to release a guitar associated with that artist ;-) 
    You wag.

I mean I don't understand why people buy them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    You wag.

They cross the line between being a pure instrument and being part memorabilia. 

The teenage me lusted over the Ibanez catalogue and particularly the Blue Floral JEM....the 40 something me could easily afford the reissue so I jumped at it, and it makes me smile everytime I play it. 

Guitar playing has always had an element of trying to emulate your heroes, makes sense for the companies to tap into that. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ...the other ones that aren’t recreations of particular famous historic instruments are those that are spec’d to suit the artist now, and sometimes a more interesting prospect. 

I’m thinking the Johnny Marr Jag and Ed O’Brien Strat. Both specs that were different to anything else in Fenders line up at the time. I personally didn’t buy either but certainly could have despite not being a massive fan of either player. 

The worse sort to me are the Slash/Bonamassa ones that seem to just be a cynical cash in by sticking their name on a pretty much bog standard instrument with maybe just an exclusive colour and a sig on the head stock. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited July 2021
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    You wag.

Me either…
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    It’s all marketing BS. The manufacturers seem to be throwing them out there like confetti these days.