Kirk’s off to Gibson

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    octatonic said:
    I simply don't understand sig models.
    It’s all marketing BS. The manufacturers seem to be throwing them out there like confetti these days. 
    Artists make less from “record” sales these days, so it makes sense for them to put their name to products for extra income and exposure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    edited July 2021
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    It when a guitar manufacturer and an artist work together to release a guitar associated with that artist ;-) 
    You wag.

I mean I don't understand why people buy them.
    I agree if it's just their name and decal of their signature slapped on it somewhere, but the good ones have different specs to standard models. I've been interested in a few sig models of guitarists I either hadn't heard of (Nick Johnston) or didn't really have an opinion on (Matt Heafy) because the specs looked like what I wanted.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4187
    edited August 2021
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    It when a guitar manufacturer and an artist work together to release a guitar associated with that artist ;-) 
    You wag.

I had a PRS SE Holcomb for a while. The reasons I bought it were nothing to do with the artist: in fact I turned the truss rod cover over so that it was just plain black rather than saying Mark Holcomb. I've heard a few Periphery tracks & they didn't really float my boat... but I liked the flat fingerboard (20" radius), the 25.5" scale length, and the SD Alpha/Omega pickups, which are insanely good.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23007
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    You wag.

(a) You're a fan and want to own something associated with your "hero"; or

(b) You couldn't care less whose signature model it is, but the guitar has some features desirable to you which aren't available on similar general-production models.

All the ones I've bought have been in category (b).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    edited July 2021
    Yep that, I've got a Santana PRS - it was what wanted in a guitar never been a Santana fan as such
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    However there have been some notably good or interesting signature guitars over the years surely. Some have certainly altered guitar design - the Les Paul (including SG), the various Chet Atkins from Gretsch and Gibson, Joe Maphis, or more recently St Vincent and Warren Ellis. 

Some current ones don't seem to be particularly groundbreaking or different from the standard model but if that's the only way you can get a funky colour then I can't see a problem getting one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    impmann said:

Good luck on that one. That neck pickup is very odd sounding IMHO (when played clean or low gain). Its not just the out of phase thing - if I was a betting man, I'd stake my savings (about 38p and a bit of pocket fluff) that when measured, it'll have a very different output to *any* PAF. 
    This. But the guitar also sounds very distinctive when played on the unmodified bridge pickup alone - quite different from a ‘normal’ Les Paul - and that has to be in the wood. Even more good luck duplicating that…

But if they do it, at the price they’ll be they won’t be being bought by players to actually use, so it doesn’t matter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    I think when it comes to models like the JEM range, then the idiosyncratic nature of such a guitar, makes it pretty obvious what you'll be playing, if you buy such a guitar

Yet models like the DGT are far less stereotypical and most are probably purchased by players who have little knowledge of who DGT is himself

Ultimately, as with any guitar, it is only any use to you if you like the way it feels, plays, sounds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    gubble said:
    Looking at his instagram it would suggest he's staying with ESP as well as the new partnership with Gibson.

Which is a shame as a new super s-type shred machine with Gibson on the headstock could have been potentially awesome and a bit different.
    But Gibson don’t make a production guitar with Jumbo frets. I’m not sure they want too even. The last one was the CS Viv Campbell. Before that, Zak Wilde maybe? 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27138
    Honestly if this doesn't result in Guitar.com doing a signature guitar face-off article entitled "Kirk or Slash?" I'm going to be very disappointed...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Philly_Q said:
    skunkwerx said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Damn. I tried 3 of the signature Ltd Ouiji’s and all
    3 were crap for QC.. damn shame as I really badly wanted one.. looks like I wont be getting another chance either. 

Well, now you can get a KH Signature Gibson with crap QC instead :D
    :( I know I’ll get suckered in…. Lol 
    I definitely won't, but it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.  A Greeny copy would be weird... whose signature guitar is it, really?
    Les’s of course  =)
  • ColsCols Frets: 7074
    octatonic said:
    Semi-agree.

I have two signature guitars (well, three if you count the Les Paul); a Brian May Red Special and a Nuno Bettencourt Washburn N4.  Both of them have unique features which can’t easily be found on other guitars - the Red Special with its Trisonic pickups and plethora of switching options, and the N4 with its Stephens Extended Cutaway making it super easy to spend all day at the top of the fretboard playing notes only dogs can hear.  

I have them for these features - can’t get ‘em on other guitars.

What I don’t get is signature guitars which are effectively “Here is a painstaking replica of Famous Guitarist’s completely stock guitar, right down to cigarette burns on the headstock made with period-correct NOS 1970s cigarettes and corroded hardware”.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom